Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Post subject: Good Clean Suspense/Mystery Authors
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
I already know some good authors that I love - bt I've read everything by them! Help!

I've got:

Ted Dekker
Frank Peretti
Terri Blacstock
Dee Henderson
Lorena McCourtney
Robert Whitlow
Hannah Alexander
Mindy Starns Clark
Randy Alcorn

I'm sure I'm missing tons, but I'll take any recommendation you can throw at me for good mystery/whodunits/suspense type books! (and hey if there's a litlte clean romance in there too, I'm ok with that! :D)

People have also recommended to me

Sherlock Holmes stuff
Agatha Christie
Nero Wolfe

I know those aren't Cristian, but I'm told they are relatively clean.

Note they do not HAVE to be Christian, but I do want it clean. A litlte language is ok but I'll pass on the smut thank you... ;)

So any good books people? :D

EDIT And by smut I mean spelling out whats going on. If a book mentions someone having an affair etc in passing but no details/skips ahead and leaves it assumed that is ok...its the going into detail stuff I'd rather not run into. :)

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Last edited by JesusFreak777 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 am 
Solicitor Non Grata
"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash: 602.58
Bank: 152.25
I absolutely love mysteries and would definitely second the Agatha Christie suggestion - I read almost all of her books in high school and loved them!

My favorite characters are her husband/wife crime-fighting duo named Tommy and Tuppence Beresford. Whereas characters like Hercule Poirot and Ms. Marple generally solved "classic" crimes, Tommy and Tuppence usually found themselves amidst espionage, secret codes and double-agents.

As for objectionable content, the books are very clean - adultery or an affair between characters might receive a passing mention as a plot point but only in the most subtle and polite, English fashion. ;)

A could of other suggestions off the top of my head:

1. Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Polifax series.
Mrs. Polifax is an elderly widowed lady who one day decides to show up at the CIA to become a spy. While first thinking it a strange joke, the CIA director comes to realize that an elderly lady may very well make the most unusual (and effective) agent of all.

2. G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.
A metaphysical thriller, this book is considered more of a philosophical tale but it definitely has a moral component and a classic mystery one too.

3. Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series.
As opposed to the other suggestions, I've only read about 2 of these. Lord Peter Wimsey is an amateur detective who could very well be considered a cross between Fred Astaire and Bertie Wooster. Goofy, subtle 1920's English detective fiction.

4. G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown series.
Good old whodunits from a crime solving priest. Needless to say, there's no objectionable content...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:15 am 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
I've enjoyed Brandilyn Collins' books - the Hidden Faces series and the Kanner Lake series especially. Quite suspenseful. The type of books I'd rather read in daylight. ;)

Also, James Scott Bell's books are pretty good. Typical lawer type fiction. :) I've read his books about Kit Shannon, but I know there are other non-related mystery/suspense books that he's written.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:38 am 
Night is Falling
Night is Falling
iTroll

Cash: 142.88
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
If you want Christian mystery/suspense, I'd definitely recommend the Day of Evil series by Melanie Wells. Excellent books, but for an older audience (PG13 at the very least) due to the content they discuss.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:11 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 1.00
Check out Kathy Herman for awesome Christian suspense writing!

Phantom Hollow is her newest series.
Of the other 2 series that I have read, to read them in order, read the Baxter Series first, then the Seaport series.

Excellent writing, suspenseful, and wonderful spiritual messages too.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I looked at your list and went "Dee Hendersons all ready on there. Makes my job easier!" :)

I agree, the Mrs. Polifax series would be a great read for you JF777. My dad has every book, and he enjoys them emensly.

Now, I wouldn't call Tony Hillerman CLEAN... but he's got some good books. My mom has all of his books, and she loves them. Definitely mystery. They deal with I believe the Navajo nation, and Arizona/New Mexico area.

Another good mystery author is Colleen Coble. Abomination and her Rock Harbor Series are good mysteries, intwined with faith in God and love. I haven't read her Aloha Reed Series, but they sound good. And then there's her Fire Dancer book... I think that is what its called. *shrug* I'm just reading these books from my sister!

Hmm... mystery... you've got most of them that I can think off the top of my head. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Looking at this list, I haven't read too much mystery... except for Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti, of course.

I'm also planning on reading an Agatha Christie book, specifically And Then There Were None, as that one's been recommended to me.

And then there's always Sherlock Holmes, and if you want to go really old school, there's Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and the Boxcar Children. :p

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm 
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused
the people are the heroes

Cash: 0.00
Yes, I especially enjoy Agatha Christie novels. And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express are both great. I think there might have been a little bit of swearing in both of those, but nothing extremely bad that I can recall.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:16 pm 
Half Pint
Half Pint

I would really enjoy Agatha Christie if it wasn't for the language. I kept trying different books, hoping it would be better, but pretty much all of her books have consistent language throughout. :(

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 pm 
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Laura Ingalls wrote:
I would really enjoy Agatha Christie if it wasn't for the language. I kept trying different books, hoping it would be better, but pretty much all of her books have consistent language throughout. :(

Even And Then There Were None? I know some of her books got pretty bad, but I can't specifically recall any bad language in that one. Maybe I'm just blocking the bad parts out. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
Half Pint
Half Pint

Every one of her books that I've read has it. I don't recall if I've read And Then There Were None, so I can't specifically say. But if it's in basically every one of her other books, I don't know why she would refrain in that one. O:)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm 
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Every one of her books that I've read has it. I don't recall if I've read And Then There Were None, so I can't specifically say. But if it's in basically every one of her other books, I don't know why she would refrain in that one. O:)

Because it's special! :x

Well, I can't really say. I think I would remember if it were filled with bad language, but maybe not. ;) I guess I need to re-read it. \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
Solicitor Non Grata
"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash: 602.58
Bank: 152.25
That's odd because I know that the books I heard had the occasional English aphorism like "Rot" or something but I can't recall any outright cursing. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:20 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
Are you allowed to read murder mysteries? If you are check out books by Mindy Starns Clark.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:39 am 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

It's actually a kids' book, I think, but I really like "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin, and I go back and re-read it once in a while. It's one of the most satisfying mysteries I've read, and it's very amusing as well, because of both the eccentric characters and the tongue-in-cheek way it's presented. I'm too lazy right now to write the plot or anything, so here's what Wikipedia says (don't actually go to the site yourself, because it gives away the answer. Come on, who does that?!):

Quote:
Sixteen individuals, of all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes, most of whom live or work in the Sunset Towers apartment building, are summoned to the reading of the will of wealthy industrialist Samuel W. Westing. The will takes the form of a puzzle, dividing up the sixteen heirs into eight pairs, giving each pair a unique set of clues, and challenging the heirs to solve the mystery of which of the sixteen of them killed Westing; whoever solves the mystery will inherit Westing's $2,000,000.00 fortune. Friendships between the sixteen heirs are made, broken, and mended as each pair attempts to pursue the solution in their own way. To add to the mayhem, there are occasional bombs set by an unidentified heir. As the participants' wild accusations fly, only one heir keeps a cool head and solves the puzzle.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:45 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
oooh1 I feel like I read the Westing Game!

Sapphire - I LOVE Mindy Starns Clark! She's on my list up above!

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:28 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
The Uglies series (comprised of Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras) is a great scifi thriller including some romance and action, along with some philisophical questions (not overly abundant, but there are some). Written by Scott Westerfeld. (Almost said James Patterson, don't kill me Amy :anxious: )

Maximum Ride by James Patterson (really him this time ;)) is about some mutants that are out in the world, 98% human, 2% avian, with wings, hollow bones for flight, enhanced strength and senses, etc. It's not particularly mature, but it's fairly realistic on how it would be if mutants rly were in the world, not like mythical superheroes or something.

Animorphs by K. Applegate at first glance is the standard Alien Invasion storyline, and though it may seem childish at first, it discusses theological and moral questions such as: How can I justify the killing of hundreds of innocent sentient beings, even in a war? and Why are we even fighting this war and think we're the good guys if we murder as many people as they do, in the end?
Plus the nonstop action and well-thought-out plots and characterization.

Prolly no one cares about my scifi novels, but just thought I'd throw it out. :tongue2:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:48 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
Jugglah wrote:
It's actually a kids' book, I think, but I really like "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin, and I go back and re-read it once in a while. It's one of the most satisfying mysteries I've read, and it's very amusing as well, because of both the eccentric characters and the tongue-in-cheek way it's presented. I'm too lazy right now to write the plot or anything, so here's what Wikipedia says (don't actually go to the site yourself, because it gives away the answer. Come on, who does that?!):

Quote:
Sixteen individuals, of all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes, most of whom live or work in the Sunset Towers apartment building, are summoned to the reading of the will of wealthy industrialist Samuel W. Westing. The will takes the form of a puzzle, dividing up the sixteen heirs into eight pairs, giving each pair a unique set of clues, and challenging the heirs to solve the mystery of which of the sixteen of them killed Westing; whoever solves the mystery will inherit Westing's $2,000,000.00 fortune. Friendships between the sixteen heirs are made, broken, and mended as each pair attempts to pursue the solution in their own way. To add to the mayhem, there are occasional bombs set by an unidentified heir. As the participants' wild accusations fly, only one heir keeps a cool head and solves the puzzle.

I read The Westing Game one summer when I was trying to catch up on Newbery Medal books as an older-than-target reader. I liked trying to solve the mystery as the story unfolded, and I still remember some of the answers to the clues.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:35 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
JesusFreak777 wrote:
oooh1 I feel like I read the Westing Game!

Sapphire - I LOVE Mindy Starns Clark! She's on my list up above!

Oops! :anxious: I love her books too!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Good Clean Suspense/Mystery Authors
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:46 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
For all you mystery fans, there are even more recommendations in this early Reading Contest thread! :D

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next