Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Good Clean Chick-Lit Authors! :D
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 am 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
Ok so I love chick-lit but I want to emphasize that this is for CLEAN and CHRISTIAN stuff ONLY! (so no Harlequin romances or anything smuttier, please, ok?)

I know that this is a broad topic and can cover many different types of lit but I'll try to break down some of my favs for ya. Also know that most chic lit has some romance it it - though it may not always be the main theme, and it may not be there at all, it just depends.

Romance

Straight up stuff - sometimes its corny but I still love it - esp those cheap 4-in-1 Novella type books! These can be modern or historical feel free to subdivide as you list if you want!

Lori Wick
Linda Windosr
Lori Copeland (lots of historical here)
Traci Peterson
Catherine Palmer
Susan May Warren (Esp her Noble series)
Lynn Austen
Robyn Jones Gunn
Jane Austen

Humor

Liz Curtis Higgs def fits in here. While I don't care for her historical stuff (which is more serious), I LOVED her two contemporary books and Novella that were more humorous. She can make me laugh so hard I almost cry. Note though her humor stuff is very much on the Romance side of things

Judy Baer - another romance/humor - she too can make me laugh until my sides hurt.

Susan May Warren (mostly her Josie stories)

Suspense/Drama

Dee Henderson
Catherine Palmer (again)
Susan May Warren (Mission: Russia series)
Hannah Alexander
Lorena McCourtney
Mindy Starns Clark

General

Jeanette Oke
Bodie Thoene (though she might be more Drama...)

Also good publishers to be on the lookout for: Steeple Hills books (and their various subsidiaries) are great. Love Inspired sometimes is though they can be kinda corny - good bubblegum reading though...;)

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Last edited by JesusFreak777 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:16 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 1.00
You can add Kristin Billerbeck to your list of romance/comedy Christian authors. Her books have me laughing like a fool with a very good story line too! =D>

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 am 
The Council is GREAT!

I feel like I've read her ages ago but I'm not sure. I'm def gonna add it to my list of stuff to read! :D

Anything specific by her?

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
I'm not a big fan of contemporary romance, but classic romance is another story. Jane Austen! :inlove: Pride and Prejudice is at the top of my recommending list, followed by the also-great Persuasion (a good story on love lost and re-found), which I should reread since I'm rather foggy on the details. I'm reading Sense and Sensibility right now, which is pretty good too, and my mom tells me that Northanger Abbey is worth reading also. I found Mansfield Park a bit boring, and I haven't read Emma yet (though it's one of my best friend's favorite books, so I'm sure it's amazing).

Beyond Jane Austen... the Anne of Green Gables series (though they have much more than romance in them), Ella Enchanted, and A Walk to Remember. I would not recommend anything else by Nicholas Sparks, but AWtR, other than having a little language, was very good, and in many ways better than the movie.

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:43 am 
The Council is GREAT!

Agreed Sparks, though mild compared to most goes waaaay across my line established above (minus AWTR which I also love)

This reminded me about Debra White Smith who I like too - she has a couple good series and one of them has her retelling all of Jane Austin's books in a more modern setting. I liked most of them. Somebody who has read more Austen than me should try them out and tell me what they think! :D

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

JesusFreak777 wrote:
I feel like I've read her ages ago but I'm not sure. I'm def gonna add it to my list of stuff to read! :D

Anything specific by her?

She has several series that are excellent and hillarious!
The Ashley Stockingdale Series is my absolute favorite.
The Spa Girls Series is also very, very good.
I have not yet read The Trophy Club Wives Series, but a reliable friend source says they are good.
Split Ends is a stand alone title and is just waiting at home for me to read it! My reliable source friend says it is her best one.

Kristin Heitzman is a good Christian romance writer too. I got to hear her speak when she came to our church last year! And she is from Colorado, (not too far from me) which makes her even better.

Karen Kingsbury is a great romance writer too. She has stand alone titles and a bunch of series too.
Between Sundays and Divine are good stand alone titles.
If you want to start a bunch of series, she has several that go in order.
Redemption Series
Firstborn Series
Sunrise Series
Above the Line Series (Brand New)
Her books can be emotional, just to warn you! :D

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 am 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
Don't forget Charlotte Bronte! Jane Eyre was awesome. \:D/

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:20 pm 
The Council is GREAT!

Yeah I know Karen Kingsbury's stuff - she's from my area and one of my friends from middle school was actually the model on a couple of her books. I just can't get into her stuff though - hers or Francine Rivers. :(

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:24 pm 
The Original EK
The Original EK

Cash: 28,902.77
Bank: 192.84
Blog: View Blog (5)
My sister/mother/grandmother are very into reading the Janette Oke Love Comes Softly series...she's a christian author...perhaps you guys would enjoy those.

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

*slaps head* How could I forget! The Love Comes Softly, Seasons of the Heart, and Canadian West series by Janette Oak. I loved them all. (no pun intended. :- )

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
My sister has read stuff from Karen Kingsbury, Kristen Heitzmann, and Beverly Lewis. Apparently, they're good authors? \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:44 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
JesusFreak777 wrote:
Yeah I know Karen Kingsbury's stuff - she's from my area and one of my friends from middle school was actually the model on a couple of her books. I just can't get into her stuff though - hers or Francine Rivers. :(

:highfive: I have friends who love stuff by Karen Kingsbury and Francine Rivers, but I've just never been a fan. I've read one or two books by each and didn't want to read more. I love most of the authors on your original posted list, so it's hard for me to add to it! ;)

Linda Windsor was on JF's list, but she's so great I have to talk about her! She has great Christian fiction, both historical and contemporary. The stories are great - romance, humour, and a clear but unpushy Christian message. I would recommend any of her books. For her modern-day stuff, I think "Hi Honey, I'm Home" is my favourite, though I enjoy them all!

I could blather on forever about my love for Robin Jones Gunn, so I'll just say that I highly recommend the Christy Miller books and the Glenbrooke series, and everything else she's written! My sister and I both love her books and have had conversations about them where other unenlightened people thought we were talking about close friends...and in a way, we feel like we were. ;)

Siri L. Mitchell writes really interesting Christian fiction books that are a bit different than the more stereotypical variety. I've really enjoy the ones I've read. "The Cubicle Next Door" was probably my favourite of hers so far. All her books have a romantic element as well as some humour, and the Christian parts are woven in so they don't slap the reader in the face, but make them think about a variety of topics instead. Her latest couple books, which I haven't read yet, are historical fiction, but the rest are contemporary, though one ("Chateau of Echoes") has both a modern and a historical plotline, and they intersect somewhat in a meaningful way.

So many people have already posted about authors that I love, and I can't talk about all of them, or I would be here forever! :mad: I love seeing that other people like the same authors and books, and seeing who else people with similar tastes recommend is great! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:54 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Catspaw wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:

:highfive: I have friends who love stuff by Karen Kingsbury and Francine Rivers, but I've just never been a fan. I've read one or two books by each and didn't want to read more.

I had to read and review a Karen Kingsbury book once, and... words cannot express how little I liked it. :anxious: (though obviously they had to express it in my review ;)).

I liked the first two Mark of the Lion (Francine Rivers) books well enough, though I haven't really cared for other stuff of hers.

I read part of a Kristen Heitzmann book and it seemed pretty good... for its genre, at least. ;)

Catspaw wrote:
Siri L. Mitchell writes really interesting Christian fiction books that are a bit different than the more stereotypical variety. I've really enjoy the ones I've read. "The Cubicle Next Door" was probably my favourite of hers so far.

:inlove:

...and I haven't even read it yet! \:D/

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 am 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

The third Mark of the Lion is a just as good as the first two. :noway: ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:39 pm 
Solicitor Non Grata
"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash: 602.58
Bank: 152.25
LizzieG wrote:
I'm not a big fan of contemporary romance, but classic romance is another story. Jane Austen! :inlove: Pride and Prejudice is at the top of my recommending list, followed by the also-great Persuasion (a good story on love lost and re-found), which I should reread since I'm rather foggy on the details.

Aw, Jane Austin tops my list too! I don't usually enjoy books that feature romance as the central theme but over the years I've fallen in love with her books. Persuasion is my all-time favorite - there's something so touching about the plot and the fact that the main character is basically portrayed as a little bit older and "plainer than average." ;)

I can't recommend much popular fiction, but Jane Eyre is a very good book and Wuthering Heights is also excellent though it is quite dark and tragic.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:32 am 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
Termite wrote:
The third Mark of the Lion is a just as good as the first two. :noway: ;)

Meh, I wasn't that impressed by it. Possibly because I really, really liked the main characters in the first two, but the ones in the third kind of annoyed me. Also, I didn't really like the miracles. I'm not saying that God can't perform miracles whenever he wants to, but the way that they happened in the book just didn't ring true.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:11 pm 
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Milo Yiannopoulos

Cash: 567.29
I love Wanda Brunstetter's Amish romance novels, as well as Beverly Lewis's. :yes: I have this weird thing for romantic Amish fiction. :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
Amethystic wrote:
I love Wanda Brunstetter's Amish romance novels, as well as Beverly Lewis's. :yes: I have this weird thing for romantic Amish fiction. :anxious:

Good for you, you'll never run out of books to read. It's a major fad right now in Christian fiction.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Catspaw wrote:
I could blather on forever about my love for Robin Jones Gunn, so I'll just say that I highly recommend the Christy Miller books and the Glenbrooke series, and everything else she's written! My sister and I both love her books and have had conversations about them where other unenlightened people thought we were talking about close friends...and in a way, we feel like we were. ;)

Ah, a woman after my own heart Catspaw! I agree completely that Robin Jones Gunn has written some fantastic books. The Christy Miller series will always be my favorite, but I definiteley enjoyed the Glenbooke books as well. Growing up, I always considered Christy and all her friends to be my real friends. I felt like I knew them so well and connected with them through the books. Crazy I know.

Can't wait for the new Katie Weldon book to come out on July 1st! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 19 posts ]