Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Post subject: Best Places to Read
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:34 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
In the days when I was a much more prolific reader (back in the twentieth century), I remember being able to read anywhere. Most commonly frequented locations included my bed and the floor. Now that I'm older, I've become way more selective. Whenever I've tried reading in bed, possible one of the most comfortable places in the world, I've inevitably fallen asleep within five minutes. :( Reading on the coach produces similar lapses of drowsiness, although I can typically get through at least two or three chapters before I doze off. Lately I've been finding that a solid and somewhat uncomfortable chair works best if I intend to read for extended periods of time. And then there's the whole issue of background noise. I'm terrible at concentrating if the television is on or if my siblings are talking/arguing in the next room. So that leads me to my main question - where are some of the places you like to read? And can you read if you are engulfed in noise, or do you need complete and utter silence in order to concentrate?

But even more importantly, how do you keep yourself awake?! :x

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:56 pm 
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac
aka Eliab... In case you were confused.

Cash: 20.97
Bank: 220.00
I can usualy read just about anywhere (even while walking), but when there's too much noise I can get distracted. But usually I am looking for where I put my book down! I have 5 books going right now because I lost, then found my books countless times.
I don't usually fall asleep while doing somethig, though I do fall asleep while listening to Odyssey (when I'm going to sleep).

"Beam me up, Scotty! There's no intelligent life here."

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject: Re: Best Places to Read
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:16 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Whenever I've tried reading in bed, possible one of the most comfortable places in the world, I've inevitably fallen asleep within five minutes. :(

My mom has the same problem. Apparently you are both too old. :(

If I'm reading something at all interesting, I won't fall asleep, even if I'm tired. That can be a bad thing, since I read for four hours last night in bed before finally putting down my book...a mere five hours before I had to get up again. :- So I have no advice as how to not fall asleep while reading. I need to learn how to put down my book instead! ;)

I do prefer reading in bed, either on top of the covers but still leaning back against my pillow, or in my pajamas with the intention of reading and then immediately going to sleep after I put down my book. I can read when the TV is on or people are talking, but I prefer not to, especially when it's a book I haven't read before and I'm focusing on the details and trying to unravel the plot. I like to read for long stretches at a time when I can find the time, so I want to be comfortable, with a glass of water and maybe a snack next to me and sometimes music playing to cover up household sounds of people talking and the dog barking and other rude interruptions to my fictional world. \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:42 pm 
Solicitor Non Grata
"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash: 602.58
Bank: 152.25
Catspaw wrote:
If I'm reading something at all interesting, I won't fall asleep, even if I'm tired. That can be a bad thing, since I read for four hours last night in bed before finally putting down my book...a mere five hours before I had to get up again. :- So I have no advice as how to not fall asleep while reading. I need to learn how to put down my book instead! ;)

I have had the same problem!

Unfortunately, my textbooks in school weren't at all interesting, so the minute I opened one and tried to read it, I'd fall asleep. By the end of 3 years, I probably could have fallen asleep standing on my head!

Thank goodness for graduation - now I won't look at a book unless it is interesting. ;)

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Former Mayor

Sherlock wrote:
Unfortunately, my textbooks in school weren't at all interesting, so the minute I opened one and tried to read it, I'd fall asleep.

That probably explains the main reason why I've been so inclined towards unconsciousness whenever I pick up a book - habits learned from four years of university. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
say waddup saints!?!

Cash: 14.32
Bank: 65.49
I prefer reading in my living room. It has different couches for me to switch places when I read. I have to move a lot when I'm reading books...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:50 pm 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
Catspaw wrote:

I have to echo Catspaw also! \:D/

I can read just about anywhere, anytime. I'm quite adept at blocking out distracting talking people and noises to focus on a book. :yes: But I do like reading either in bed at night or on a nice comfy sofa or chair. \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I like to read in my bed... I can read on the couch, depending on the distractions and noise of the TV and people around me... I don't really have a comfy chair to sit in... I can read in a car, but I will get car sick, especially in my mom's pruise. Ugh... I can read anywhere, but comfort... not for my back. The only comfort I'll ever get is in my bed, my two cats sitting next to me, and my pillow on my back!

If I'm really into a book, I won't go to sleep. I'll just tell myself "Time for BED!" and put the book down.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 pm 
The Original EK
The Original EK

Cash: 28,902.77
Bank: 192.84
Blog: View Blog (5)
I do most of my reading in bed or in some bed type thing...like a hammock or a couch....

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:52 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
I read anywhere. From my bed, to the kitchen table when I'm eating, to out on the pool wall. \:D/ Noise doesn't bother me. I tune it out.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw
nathanf... <3

Cash: 16.60
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (6)
I love reading in the sun so I can tan and read at the same time. It's great multitasking, and since in the summer I generally read a lot more I read outside a lot at our farm and make sure I have a fantastic tan by the end of the summer.
Yesterday I was reading a book (besides my textbooks, I have to read those in the air conditioning or else I can't focus) outside and my dog sat beside me the whole time.

If I'm in a place with a lot of noise while I'm reading I listen to classical music on my iPod, but usually noise doesn't bother me.

When I'm reading I fall asleep easily if I've been swimming for a few hours but other than that I stay awake while I read. If you can't stay awake stretch a lot while you read, like try to do the splits. That always keeps me awake.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 am 
Former Mayor

Anna><> wrote:
If you can't stay awake stretch a lot while you read, like try to do the splits. That always keeps me awake.

If only that was anatomically possible for everyone. :(

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
I can read almost any place. Preferably, I'll read in my bed, on the couch, on the floor, in the grass, etc. I like to be in a comfortable position when I'm reading; I don't think I've ever fallen asleep reading.
I can read with distractions, but a quiet place is nice.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
I fell asleep on the couch after two chapters of Annison's Risk yesterday, but made up for it today by reading the rest of the book in a chair at a desk in a school building. The chair + being in a public area forced me to stay awake! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Textbooks put me to sleep, though reading them while lying on my bed may have something to do with it. ;) Sometimes regular books unfortunately have the same effect, but I think I'm finally re-conditioning myself to enjoy reading once again. \:D/ Now, I do most of my reading on the couch or armchair.

As far as quietness... I need absolute silence! :x Well, I can take some background noise, but distinguishable conversations definitely kill my reading abilities.

EDIT: I spent the afternoon reading outside in the sun, and it was very enjoyable, despite the sunburn and the constant flicking and shooing away of ants and flies. :-

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:18 pm 
Feminazi Extraordinaire
growing up wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the responsibilities. those are lame.

Cash: 15.30
Bank: 21,535.33
Blog: View Blog (1)
Are we talking textbooks? If we are, I can't read those things for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep :(

Are we talking novels and books of choice!? If so, then I can read anytime, anywhere, in whatever state of tiredness I may be \:D/ I've been known to read when we have upwards of 20 people over and accidentally ignore questions and such directed at me because I totally didn't even hear :anxious: I am pretty adept at blocking out ALL distractions when I read. It is literally like entering a whole new world for me. This world just fades away =P It kind of annoys my family at times because it will often take them calling my name several times (sometimes shouting in my ear) in order to pull me back to earth.

Teehee ^_^

As far as preferred places to read...I tend to like reading on the couch or in bed. I also like to have a book present while I'm eating lunch or something.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm 
One aquainted with the Night

Cash: 1.42
Blog: View Blog (9)
I can read almost everywhere--I find it harder to read before bed because I'm usually really tired, or in someone is talking to me directly (I know, I shouldn't be reading if I'm being spoken to...I feel naughty)

Although, I discovered today that reading on trains and subways are pretty fun \:D/ but I usually read while riding my mum's exercise bike, because I don't have time to read and exercise seperately. I'd love to, but I can't read outside because where I live, the mosquitos devour me whever I step outside. :(

I can usually stay awake reading a text book; I might be bored out of my skin, but I won't fall asleep. (Science..grr)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:08 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
SCREAMING BLASPHEMY.

Cash: 121.94
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)
I can read books pretty much anywhere. My desk, bedroom, the car, the library, while riding on a roller coaster (I'm kidding about that last one!) are some of my favorite places to read.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:45 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
Knight Doyle wrote:
while riding on a roller coaster (I'm kidding about that last one!)

Somebody has to try that this summer! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:24 am 
One aquainted with the Night

Cash: 1.42
Blog: View Blog (9)
Taq wrote:
Knight Doyle wrote:
while riding on a roller coaster (I'm kidding about that last one!)

Somebody has to try that this summer! \:D/

Now THAT'D be epic. Reading on a rollar coaster--that'd one of those "This cannot be explained" moments.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next