Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you read books more than one time?
Yes! You can never read a good book too many times! 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Ugh, no, who wants to read a book TWICE?! 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
I don't fit into either of those catergories. :noway: 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post Post subject: Are you a re-reader?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:00 pm 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
I love to read books over and over, but I know other people (like my mom) can't stand to "waste time" rereading something. :(

So I bring this important issue to the ToO - how many of you reread books? \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
Yes, I'm a big believer in re-reading. It's like seeing an old friend that's been away for a while. I'm known to check the same book out of the library six or seven times, and then finally give in and buy it. You know, C.S. Lewis said, "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once."

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:28 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I'm re-reading books right now! I love re-reading, especially if the book was really good the first time around! It may take a while to re-read it again, because I honestly have a library in my room, but I will read it again, most possibly. :) I totally believe in re-reading!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:34 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
I reread pretty much everything I enjoy even slightly. \:D/ I've read several awesome books by G. A. Henty like 5 times over the last few years. :yes: (Great books, historical fiction, I totally recommend, btw)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Considering that all I've done this contest so far is re-read books, I would definitely call myself a re-reader. :p It's an especial treat to re-read books I know are wonderful, and in the case of some classics that I read when I was a bit younger, they are even better the second (or third!) time around. :inlove:

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 pm 
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Cash: 57.68
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)
Seeing as I'm reading a series of 52 books I read before, then yes. :-

"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:05 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
I wouldn't call myself a rereader, but I've done it a number of times, most recently with the Bible and Passages.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:49 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
say waddup saints!?!

Cash: 14.32
Bank: 65.49
I think I've read To Kill a Mockingbird every summer since the eighth grade... :-k

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,103.47
Bank: 1,958.31
How fantastic! \:D/ I love to re-read books, and I can find it as hard to put down a good book that I've read four times as to put down a new book where I don't know what will happen. If the book is good, it can be even better the second time, because you have a familiarity with it and can fill in all those little missing pieces that you didn't notice the first time, plus you can anticipate favourite moments. Depending on the amount of time since I last read the book, I can forget quite a bit. I might remember the basics, but probably not all the details. Sigmund Brouwer is an author that managed to totally shock me with a plot twist...twice. ;) I read "Evening Star" (except I read it before they republished them with a few changes, if anybody else has read the Sam Keaton series) and was totally surprised at one point, and then a couple years later I read the book again, and I was still totally caught off guard by the same unveiling. I couldn't believe that he had totally fooled me more than once!

When we're talking about re-reading, do we all mean "I read the entire book again" or is it more like my sister's version of "I skim the book to get to the parts I like the best"? It drives me crazy that she doesn't read all of the book sometimes.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Catspaw wrote:
Sigmund Brouwer is an author that managed to totally shock me with a plot twist...twice. ;) I read "Evening Star" (except I read it before they republished them with a few changes, if anybody else has read the Sam Keaton series) and was totally surprised at one point, and then a couple years later I read the book again, and I was still totally caught off guard by the same unveiling. I couldn't believe that he had totally fooled me more than once!

Ah, yes, it's been a while since I read that series, and I think I know just the plot twist you're talking about. ;) Sigmund Brouwer is a great writer. Maybe I should go re-read some of his books! :D

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:08 pm 
darcietastical
darcietastical
Nothing to see here.

Cash: 159.09
I don't mind rereading books, but it would usually be after a number of years. My husband, on the other hand, is a massive rereader. He reads the same things over and over and over again! To him it is comforting. I like to have enough time in between to be somewhat surprised again.

"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm 
Solicitor Non Grata
"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash: 602.58
Bank: 152.25
I'm a re-reader but, like darcie, I like to wait until the finer details of the plot are a bit fuzzy before I pick up the book again. And, as I've saved most of the books I've obtained since high school (I was a HUGE sale rack book scavenger!), there's a decent amount of options sitting on the shelf. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am 
Blissfully Oblivious

Cash: 26.30
Some books I can read over and over again, like Jane Eyre, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Pride and Prejudice.

But usaully, I like reading it only once. I don't know why, but sometimes I hate reading a book over again. I'll never read To Kill A Mockingbird or Gone With The Wind again. It kinda ruins the first experience for me. Sounds weird, I know. :razz:

It's kinda like when I watched Titanic. It's in my top five favriotes, but I never want to watch it again because it will ruin that first time special feeling I guess.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 pm 
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused
the people are the heroes

With a few exceptions for incredibly long epics where it's impossible to remember everything that happened or the Bible, I usually read books through only once. If it's been years and years and I don't even remember the story, I may go back and read it again if I thought it was good. Otherwise, I just see it as a waste of time. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm 
Catspaw knows all

I re-read books that I really enjoy. I've read some series multiple times and others only once. My oldest brother cannot understand why I re-read books; but I do it because I like details. I don't want to forget any of the details in a good book, so I read it again!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm 
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)
grins bigly. Grins are contagious, you know! =D

Cash: 137.50
Blog: View Blog (1)
I echo Darcie and Sherlock. I rarely reread books, but when I do, I prefer to be able to be somewhat surprised again by the events in the book. :p

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm 
Hamster
Hamster
is.

Cash: 1.33
Bank: 179.28
Blog: View Blog (2)
I love to reread books. :yes:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: Are you a re-reader?
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:17 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
Laura Ingalls wrote:
I love to read books over and over, but I know other people (like my mom) can't stand to "waste time" rereading something. :(

So I bring this important issue to the ToO - how many of you reread books? \:D/

I do the same thing! My mom says it is a waste of time too.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:06 am 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Cash: 520.24
Bank: 2,352.96
Yep...I'm a rereader! If it's a good book, I don't have a problem rereading at all. It's funny...I used to check out books at my church library, which wasn't used a whole lot. You had to sign your name on a card that was in the book to check it out, and I'd get a book i'd read before and notice that my name was in the last 5 slots of the card...

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:35 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,103.47
Bank: 1,958.31
:lol: Back when our church was smaller and my sister and I had more time to read, we used to have that happen too! Or there would be one person between our names or something. Good times.

Can this thread be a place for confessions? I stayed up way too late last night to finish reading a book that I've read several times before. :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next