Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: One more chapter! Pleeease?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
I'm sure all of you had parents who read aloud to you as children (or at least, I hope so), but did any of you have parents who read to you even when you were older? In my case, it's my dad. Really, it's always been my dad. I remember the unfailing bedtime ritual of "Goodnight Moon" from when I was really little (my dad even recorded himself reading it on a cassette so that I could hear him read it even when he was away on business trips), and "The Chronicles of Narnia" when I was five. I was inspired to read them myself when I was eight, though that might have been due to the newly released Radio Theatre production, which I heard on the radio.

But my dad continued to read to me and my brother, even as I got into the years of high school. He read "Animal Farm" aloud during my sophomore year, and I remember fondly the Mark Twain marathon we went off on last year - he read "Huckleberry Finn", "The Prince and the Pauper", and "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" in quick succession. We didn't read any my senior year because we were all just too busy, but I wish we had. It might sound silly or childish, but I see it as a great opportunity that I had to strengthen my relationship with my dad. So, is my family just a freak of nature, or is there someone out there who had the same wonderful privilege that I did?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
My parents read aloud to us a ton in the good old days. I don't remember exactly when that stopped regularly (maybe in middle school?), but it was certainly past small childhood. Yep, I remember begging for another chapter, especially when they all had cliffhanger endings! Parents reading aloud to children has so many benefits, including bonding time, enjoyment of a story by both reader and listener(s), academic improvement, and instilling in kids a love for reading (which I've lost to a degree ;)).

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
say waddup saints!?!

Cash: 14.32
Bank: 65.49
I remember my mom read The Great Brain series to my brother and me one summer. I think it was in first grade. Those are great memories...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: One more chapter! Pleeease?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:46 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
Jugglah wrote:
I remember the unfailing bedtime ritual of "Goodnight Moon"...

:highfive: I don't actually remember hearing my mom read the book, but we still have the book, and my mom remembers reading it to me endless times!

I know my mom did read to us well after I could read for myself - I remember her reading some Trixie Belden books and Daring Adventure books to me (those would have been my picks, since I also read those on my own and enjoyed them), and I'm sure there were others as well that aren't coming immediately to mind. It really was a great family time to sit around and read together. My parents and my aunts read to me a lot when I was young, and I definitely attribute some of my love of reading to getting such an early start. :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
We read Jotham's Journey and its two sequels three separate Christmas seasons, which I have fond memories of for its edge-of-your-seat qualities and the little comedic/dramatic touches my dad added while reading it to us.

The only other book I distinctly remember reading as a family was Little Britches by Ralph Moody, which was pretty good as far as I can remember... though its sad ending turned us off from reading the sequel. My dad was the main reader in both those cases, and we all really enjoyed listening to a chapter (or more, if we got our way ;)) after dinner.

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:27 pm 
darcietastical
darcietastical
Nothing to see here.

Cash: 159.09
The copy of Goodnight Moon in this house is more tape than paper at this point. I just hope it lasts through the 3rd one. :D

I remember my mom reading to me when I was past the age of needing it. Probably through elementary school we did. I remember Bridge to Terabithia, the Anne of Green Gables books (we did the first few together-she finished them, I got to #5), some of the Narnia books... I don't know, this might have been due to summer reading requirements for the schools I went to. :-k

We have always had reading at bedtime with my daughter, but lately she's wanting to read everything to herself. We got through the Narnia books when she was 4, then it was all 7 Harry Potter books (yes, I know they're evil ;) ) after that for about a year. She hasn't wanted to get started on a new series with me yet, but she rereads some fairy books and a Barbie one. Having started bedtime stories with her before she could walk has made a big difference, as she tested at a 2.5 grade level at the end of Kindergarten. So read to your kids!! :x ;)

"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 am 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
My mom used to read to all of us kids together when we were younger - I remember her reading Where The Red Fern Grows and Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. \:D/ That tapered off though, after the first few years of elementary school. Now the only reading out loud is my dad reading the Bible after supper, and sometimes he'll read exerpts from Of Plymouth Plantation at Thanksgiving.

It sounds like your family has a wonderful time together, Jugglah! :yes:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:29 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
SCREAMING BLASPHEMY.

Cash: 121.94
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)
My mom and dad read to me when I was young and that's how I learned to read. :) My mom also read the Chronicles of Narnia to my sister and I when we were younger.

Last edited by Kairi on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 pm 
A Silent Prayer Warrior
Counterespionage for the Anti-Randoms

My mom used to read to us when we were younger. She originally started right after my dad went blind, so he would become interested in drama books, and continued until she lost her voice.

I mainly remember her reading Little Britches, Piercing the Darkness, and This Present Darkness. She used to let us stay up late so we could listen. And she did all the voices too \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:46 pm 
Catspaw knows all

We read books as a family on road trips. We usually all get a turn to read (depending on who's driving). I enjoy doing this because it passes time and it's relaxing when doing it together. We've read books such as: Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry (and the books that follow it); we started the Forbidden Doors Series (didn't finish it because it was too intense for my younger siblings); and currently the Hank the Cowdog Series (my younger siblings really enjoy this series). We've also read other books that I can't recall.
It's a great tradition and I enjoy it - even if I am far past my elementary school years!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

GlennAdams wrote:
I remember my mom read The Great Brain series to my brother and me one summer. I think it was in first grade. Those are great memories...

Oh oh, my brother and I read that series! The conniving protagonist always reminded me of an evil version of my brother.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
Laura Ingalls wrote:
My mom used to read to all of us kids together when we were younger - I remember her reading Where The Red Fern Grows...

Ah, yes, that book brings back memories of when my dad would read it to me and my siblings in the evening - that was probably over a dozen years ago. I think he read a few chapters every night, although I'm pretty sure I wanted him to read "just one more" each time. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 1.00
darcie wrote:
We have always had reading at bedtime with my daughter, but lately she's wanting to read everything to herself. We got through the Narnia books when she was 4, then it was all 7 Harry Potter books (yes, I know they're evil ;) ) after that for about a year. She hasn't wanted to get started on a new series with me yet, but she rereads some fairy books and a Barbie one. Having started bedtime stories with her before she could walk has made a big difference, as she tested at a 2.5 grade level at the end of Kindergarten. So read to your kids!! :x ;)

Wow Darcie! You have inspired me to start reading through some books with my daughter. We read each night, but not through actual books, just the same short picture books over and over again. I would love to actually start reading some actual non-picture books to her. Any recommendations.

BTW, we love Harry Potter too! :-$ I am listening to them again on Audio Book right now.

I remember reading the Frog and Toad books with my family as well as the Little House on the Praire Books. As we got older and busier it was mostly family devotions and Bible reading, and transitioned to books on CD in the car for trips.
Great Topic Jugglah! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 pm 
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Cash: 57.68
Blog: View Blog (4)
We still do it. :anxious:

9 to 9:45 or so every night.

"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 pm 
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)
grins bigly. Grins are contagious, you know! =D

Cash: 137.50
Blog: View Blog (1)
Laura Ingalls wrote:
My mom used to read to all of us kids together when we were younger - I remember her reading.... Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

AH! Flash from the past! My mom used to read us that book. She also read us the Little House on the Prarie series. The last time I remember her reading to us was around the time I was 8 or so, I think. And she was reading about some little boy with a silver button. :p So... yeah. Good times, but I don't remember much of them.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 am 
I post like Shadowpaw

DanP740 wrote:
We still do it. :anxious:

That's a good thing, Dan! Keep it up. \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:58 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
My mom had always read to me when I was younger, fiction books- and history books and such. =) I always retained more when she read my school books to me.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 17 posts ]