Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 8 posts ] 

What do you think of audio books?
LOVE them! I listen to them all the time! 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Meh, okay. I listen to them once in a great while. 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
I don't like them. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
.....audio books? 0_o whaaa? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
OTHER! (lol...post if you vote this!) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post Post subject: Audio Books
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:14 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
I LOVE audio books! Ever since I was little, mom got audio books from the library and we listened to them.

Audio books are very helpful, because they make multi-tasking easy! \:D/ I just stick an audio book in, and then I can do whatever else I want. Clean, draw, arts and crafts, cooking..etc... :-

It's also helpful with BIG books! We listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin, and also Frankenstein.

Some of my absolute favorite audio books, are the Freddy series. They're a little hard to find now, but our local library has a few. Freddy the Detective, Freddy the Pig, Freddy and the Flying Saucer Plans, Freddy and the Ignoramus, Freddy the Politician (and more!)

As a family, and on family car trips, we'd listen to Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia.

Any favorite audio books? Favorite narrators?

Or, do you despise audio books? :shame:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 pm 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
I do listen to audio books once in awhile, but I prefer actually reading the book. However, they are helpful if we're driving and we don't want to actually read.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:26 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
I was introduced to both Ted Dekker and Terri Blackstock through audio books, so I have a great affinity for them. However, the downside is that - unlike radio drama - audio books don't let you "fill in the gaps." Everything is spelled right out for you. So if you lose concentration for even a few seconds, you might miss something important.

Ruthie wrote:
As a family, and on family car trips, we'd listen to Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia.

Those aren't audio books - it's audio drama. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:12 am 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
Trent DeWhite wrote:
I was introduced to both Ted Dekker and Terri Blackstock through audio books, so I have a great affinity for them. However, the downside is that - unlike radio drama - audio books don't let you "fill in the gaps." Everything is spelled right out for you. So if you lose concentration for even a few seconds, you might miss something important.

Ruthie wrote:

Those aren't audio books - it's audio drama. ;)

But still under the same basic category, so I thought I'd mention it. ;) Mister Particular. O:)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:56 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 1.00
Great Topic Ruthie! I love, love, love audio books! I really didn't listen to anything audio besides AIO until I had my daughter. I found myself with a sudden lack of time to read like I used to. I also found myself more busy with things to do around the house. I have always been an auditory learner, so audio books were a great solution. They area also perfect for long commutes/car rides.

For me, audio books are not a way to be lazy and not read, but a way to continue engaging my mind when my church and home activities keep me from reading! \:D/

I did also enjoy the Narnia Audio Drama's by FOTF. One of my favorite Audio books/narrators is Jim Dale reading the Harry Potter books. His voice is awesome, and he does different modifications of his voice for each character. I am listening to the series read by him again because I enjoyed it so much. Audio books are great for long books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Tom Clancy novels for sure!

Another great set of audio books is The Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness read by Frank Peretti. He also does the different voices for the characters. Very cool!

Okay, one more favorite series on audio book is the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker! That was my first Ted Dekker experience, and I loved it.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Bank: 318.75
I agree, I love reading but sometimes I just can't get the book

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm 
Climbing the Ladder

Cash: 28.86
Bank: 5,423.05
I have been tempted to buy one audio book but I'm not going to. IMHO nothing beats actually sitting down and reading a book. Listening to a book is fine and I'm sure very enjoyable, but I will always choose reading a book over listening.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: Audio Books
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Bank: 318.75
I think that listening to audiobooks when you can get the book (unless you have the book and you are listening and reading at the same time which actually is very hard to do) is a waste of time.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 8 posts ]