Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Childhood Memories
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
I certainly don't frequent the library nearly as often as I did during my formative years, but the memories of those days still linger. Particularly of the times when I would borrow as many books as I could carry in my book bag. I remember poring through the Boxcar Children and Encylopedia Brown mysteries and trying to solve them before everything was revealed in the end. The thing I enjoyed the most about the library was being able to just sit there and read without worrying about homework, chores, or noisy siblings. What are some of the books you read growing up? Did you visit the library just to borrow books, or did you spend as much time there as you did at home? ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
I used to take out stacks and stacks of Nancy Drew books. I also read a ton of Hardy Boys, and of course, the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Supermysteries! \:D/ Those rocked. I did read plenty of the Boxcar Children as well, among a lot of other books. To me, the library was (and is) primarily a place to pick up books, not to read them. In university that changed a bit, since I did do research and study there, but the books were a lot less fun. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Oh, all those good times in our little local library! :inlove:

I became very familiar with the tiny kids' section of the library, and very much disliked the four book limit for kids. I tended to check out and read a lot of the same books over and over, most notably the American Girls books, the Boxcar Children series, and the Choose Your Own Adventure books. I remember wanting to read the Babysitter's Club series, but I wasn't allowed to. I remember my cardboard library card getting all bent up, so I would continue abusing it in hopes of getting a new, perfect card. Unfortunately, when that new card came, they spelled my name wrong on it. :(

I should dress really young and see if I can get them to only let me check out 4 books! \:D/ If only I weren't so tall... :boohoo:

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:44 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
Oh yes, I went to the local library a lot in the early years! My library memories are completely positive. I got my first library card as soon as I could write my name; my "signature" is in all caps with shaky lettering. We usually didn't linger, but checked out bagfuls of books and devoured them at home. I remember the Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Choose Your Own Adventure series, too! :highfive: Others? You Be the Jury, Chronicles of Narnia, a certain biography series. I'm sure there are more!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:01 am 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Cash: 520.24
Bank: 2,352.96
Haha...I was always going to the library and filling up a huge bagful of books to take home...I usually didn't stay there after I chose my books, but I'd be back in a week to return them all and get new ones, much to some people's surprise that I'd already read them all...ah...the days when I had time to read!

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:29 am 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
I read a 500+ page book when I was nine. \:D/ In about six hours or so. :yes:

Aside from that, I read nearly anything I could get my hands on. The Boxcar Kids, Jigsaw Jones, Narnia, American Girl series, and other random books and series. Oh, good times.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:24 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
say waddup saints!?!

Cash: 14.32
Bank: 65.49
I too loved Encyclopedia Brown and the Boxcar Children! I loved going to the library as a kid and going through the picture books. In middle school I frequented the school's library more... I loved going to the library with my mom...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:40 pm 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
I still read every new Boxcar Children book that comes out. :- The old ones are better though...and I have always loved the Encyclopedia Brown series!

The trip to the library was always a much anticipated trip. We didn't often stay and read there, but just browsed through the many shelves of wonderful books. The librarians at all the libraries we frequented growing up got to know us. ;) My oldest brother worked at the library for several years, and the rest of us volunteered to work with the summer reading program so we got to be there a lot. *nostalgic sigh*

Currently, the librarians know me as a person who puts a ton of books and videos on hold. \:D/ They always have to act surprised when I check out and there aren't any books in for me. One guy sees when I come in and by the time I come up to check out, he already has my stack of reserved materials waiting for me. O:)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
Yes, I did practically live in the library! \:D/ And I have some recollections of my very early library experiences, although they're more about the libraries themselves than any particular books. I remember that as a very young child (I'd say preschool or early elementary years) I frequented two different branches of my city's library system, both of which no longer exist. One of them had a children's section with an area that was used for storytime, and it was so cool, because it was made up of these kind of irregular whimsical steps that kids could climb up. That library was relocated, and in it's present location, it still has the best children's section in in the region, I think. Alas, there's nothing to climb on.

The second was in a tiny building. Not decorative, nothing special about it, but I loved that library. The one thing I remember, and I guess this applied to the whole library system, was the computers. They were those really old ones with the black screen and the green letters and the one blinking cursor. And you would type in "4" and press "Return" to search for "Exact Title" or something like that. They were not user-friendly at all, but I knew how to do it, even when I was little. And now I think that kids these days would have no clue about how to deal with stuff like that. Also, in case you were wondering, that tiny library got relocated to a brand new building where the library is on the first floor, and the town hall is on the second. And the whole library has this really cool train theme, because I live in a town that has a major history with the railroad. Actually, there's still train tracks across the main street.

All that to say, I loved the library then, and I love it now.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 pm 
Feminazi Extraordinaire
growing up wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the responsibilities. those are lame.

Cash: 15.30
Bank: 21,535.33
Blog: View Blog (1)
I still practically live in the library \:D/

I used to read upwards of 5 Nancy Drew books a day...then when I read all I could possibly read of those, I moved on to Hardy Boys :anxious:

I also loved Encyclopedia Brown mysteries! They were so much fun.

The Boxcar Children was another regular series you would find in my hands. I also tended to read a lot of classic books that normal children don't read. Like Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, etc. :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm 
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Milo Yiannopoulos

Cash: 567.29
I loved to read the Magic Treehouse book series when I was in first and second grade. :yes: Third to fourth grade was mostly mysteries, especially Nancy Drew. :-k Fifth to sixth grade... it was varied, but I think I enjoyed a lot of historical fiction for that time in my life. After seventh and eighth grade, I'm starting to settle on science fiction. \:D/

I would, and still will, read almost everywhere. In the library, in my room, in the car, in Walmart, I always a book around with me. :D I actually prefer working on personal projects at the library more than reading there. :-k

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:50 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
Oh, I loved the library as a child! We used to spend hours there.

I loved The Boxcar Children (I read all of them, into the hundreds!), and the Mandy detective books. I never got into The Hardy Boys, but I liked Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown. \:D/

Actually, I still spent a lot of time at the library. :-
Although not as often as I'd like. Today I went there for about 2 hours, and returned home with 15 more books that I've never read. \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:08 pm 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Old... but not obsolete.

Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,308.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
I practically lived there until a week ago. :boohoo:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Oh, did they kick you out after you refused to let a little kiddie check out a book you were reading? :(

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 14 posts ]