Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: What are your summer reading goals?
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:39 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
My main reading goals for the summer are as follows:
  • Finally finish all those books I started over the last year or so (Les Mis, Watership Down, and Sense and Sensibility)
  • Read books from the following "categories": classics, noteworthy children's books (Newberry winners and such), old childhood favorites (the Anne series, perhaps the Little House books), Jane Austen, Lord of the Rings, diverse genres, Narnia, Passages, The Cubicle Next Door, other books that have been sitting on my shelf for long periods of time, the Books of the Month, and whatever book Trent makes me read.
  • Read enough so that, when school starts again and severely limits the time I can devote to pleasure reading, I'll be satisfied with what I accomplished this summer and won't pine over the loss too much. ;)
The first bullet point is definitely my highest priority; I hate not finishing books and then forgetting what I already read! :mad:

So, what are your goals for the summer, reading-wise? Is there a series you particularly want to finish? You want to try to read a book a week? Explore some new genres? Read more than you've read in the last three years combined? ;) Share all your lofty aspirations here! :D

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:04 am 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
I wanted to reread Narnia, which I've almost accomplished, and read a stack of books that has been waiting to be finished for months. Books that I've been given and that I've bought - they've taken back seat to library books that I keep needing to finish to take back before the due date. :- So hopefully all those will get done.

And of course, I just love to read and get rewarded for it - that's why summer reading programs are so great! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 am 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Cash: 520.24
Bank: 2,352.96
I'd like to re-read a few books, like LOTR, catch up on my favorite author's new books, and read all the books people have been recommending to me, especially some ones by Ted Dekker, whom many seem to be raving about...

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 am 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
I'm certainly aiming to read Passages (1/2 done!) and the three books of the month. Oh, I also want to read books that happen to "come up" in my life. For example, I'm reading Blue Like Jazz and More Than a Carpenter right now. They're both books that our Christian group is giving away to students for free, courtesy of Campus Crusade. I want to be able to dialogue intellegently with the students about those works should the opportunity arise.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:56 pm 
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Cash: 57.68
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)
To read my favorite series cover to cover, which I am I 20% done with already. \:D/

"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:41 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
DanP740 wrote:
To read my favorite series cover to cover, which I am I 20% done with already. \:D/

Which series would this be?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:15 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
Invisible Ninja wrote:
DanP740 wrote:

Which series would this be?

Dan's reading the Hank the Cowdog series. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:10 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 146.04
Summer reading goals? Ah yes... I have a quite lofty one.

I want to read all of Dickens.

I don't know if it is possible, but I really want to try. I am through Tale of Two Cities, Hard Times, Great Expectations and 1/3 through David Copperfield. Personally, I LOVE Dickens. He is dull and enticing at the same time.

I also would like to read Les Mis.

I'm going to work really hard at my goal, but between coaching and moving I don't know how it will go.

~Hannah

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:03 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
Hannahjiejie wrote:
Summer reading goals? Ah yes... I have a quite lofty one.

I want to read all of Dickens.

I don't know if it is possible, but I really want to try. I am through Tale of Two Cities, Hard Times, Great Expectations and 1/3 through David Copperfield. Personally, I LOVE Dickens. He is dull and enticing at the same time.

I also would like to read Les Mis.

I'm going to work really hard at my goal, but between coaching and moving I don't know how it will go.

~Hannah

Isn't Tale of Two Cities French Revolutionary period? I should prolly read that.. :-k

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:09 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
Write more reviews than Jugglah. :(

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Write more reviews than Jugglah. :(

Ah! My reputation precedes me! \:D/

Well, my reading goal was to read a book a day, and it was working out fine until the last one, which took 9 days. But I think I can get back on track, since the next few books I'm planning to read aren't exceptionally long.

I'm not trying to read through any particular series or anything like that...I think that I'm trying to read as many different types of book as possible. That's why my reviews have been very eclectic. So far I've had an adventure story about anthropomorphic animals, some historical fiction, a mystery, and a fantasy. That's almost every genre, except for science fiction, and I'm planning to read one of those in a few days. So I guess I'm just trying to read as much varying stuff as possible.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:30 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
One aquainted with the Night

Cash: 1.42
Blog: View Blog (9)
I want to finish reading my war book collection--which is pretty large. I usually get books then leave them on my shelf, and read books from the library. So this summer, I figure I should read some of my books. I've done two so far; I might end up continuing this for a while...

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 12 posts ]