Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 18 posts ] 

Vote for your July Book of the Month!
Poll ended at Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 pm
Thorn in My Heart 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
The Screwtape Letters 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
God's Smuggler 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post Post subject: July Book of the Month
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:24 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Congratulations to JesusFreak777 for nominating the winning book two months in a row! =D>

Remember, if you read this book you can count it for double the pages! :D

JesusFreak777 wrote:
I nominate God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

It's a wonderful book about a man who grew up in Holland during WWII and from there becomes a Bible smuggler to Eastern Europe, the USSR, and China at the height of the Cold War. This book is exciting, filled with adventure, and the awesomeness of God's power in real life situations.

Yes it is a biography, but I promise it is nothing like the boring old ones that water everything down that you (or at least I) had to read as a kid. It will challenge you, entertain you, and most assuredly keep you on the edge of your seat wondering how in the world God is going to get this man out of harms way again - or will Brother Andrew give his life in the line of spreading the Truth?

Again, this is another one of those books I highly recommend - even if it isnt chosen as book of the month. It grew me in my faith and challenged me yet again to not just sit idly by and let the world happen around me, but that I can make an eternal difference to the world around me by living the life that God has for me and glorifying Him in it in all I do.
\:D/

(This book is also in The Narrow Road coauthored with Jars of Clay)

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Last edited by LizzieG on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:26 pm 
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Cash: 57.68
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)
Meh, might as well. ;)

I nominate The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog by John R. Erickson. It's about a ranch dog (Hank) who names himself the Head of Ranch Security, his "assistant", Drover, and the various people and animals on/around the ranch. You should read it because it's a good clean, funny book. And if you like it, there's 52 more where that came from.

"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:39 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I would like to nominate Abomination by Colleen Coble.

A young woman can't remember a thing. She doesn't remember her name, her daughter's name, her past... not even the reason why she was running from something... or someone. You want a mystery that keeps you pulled in until the very end? A wonder of a serial killer and why he is trying to take care of sinners? Proverbs 5 is his pathway. And the only way Nick Andreakos can find and save his wife is to figure out all the murders... and the mystery.

It's a great read, it has mystery, intruige, a love that comes back after a divorce... and amnesia. Plus, it has Christian morals. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:52 am 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
I nominate the Red Rock Mystery Series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry. This is a Christian mystery series of 15 books. Each book is about 13 year old twins, Bryce and Ashley Timberline, who live in the little town of Red Rock, Colorado. Wherever they go, a mystery is sure to be solved.
While these books are fun and fast paced, they also reinforce Biblical truths and principles. Each book is well written and thought out. If you enjoy mysteries, these books are highly recommended.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:49 am 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
I shall nominate Thorn in My Heart, by Liz Curtis Higgs. This remake of the Jacob and Esau story takes place in 1788, Scotland. Twins are born, one before midnight, and one after, evoking an old rhyme that says the older will serve the younger. Hmmm.

Fastforward about twenty-five years, and the mother of the twins is scheming to get her younger son the inheritance of his father's land. The deed is done in short time, and Jamie has to flee from Evan to his uncles' house, where he is supposed to pick one of his two cousins, Leana or Rose, to be his wife. Sound familiar?

Love and forgiveness are the two main themes in this book. But where to find the love? Where to find the forgiveness? Neither are present in the McBride household, and will have to be sought after elsewhere.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:13 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson is an action packed book of betrayal, love, and mutation. Max and her flock (aka friend mutants) are the only successful human-avian hybrids created. They are wanted for experimentation as if they were nothing more than test tube chemical creations and must on their own survive free.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:19 pm 
Night is Falling
Night is Falling
iTroll

Cash: 142.88
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
I nominate The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

Ever been having a macabre moment and wondered what the devil was thinking? Ever wondered what tricks he uses to get you and other believers off track? This book is kind of a tell-all, and it's especially amazing to read when you realize that C.S. Lewis was a Christian when he wrote the novel, and has never been a satanist. So then, how can he write so eloquently concerning all of the different tactics Satan and his minions use to snare us? It's simple, really- the author observes our lives and sees all the different ploys in our actions, spoken words, and hidden thoughts.

Even though it's a relatively old book, everything written in this classic from the amazing author of the famous series The Chronicles Of Narnia is still exceedingly relevant. It seems the devil still uses the same old tricks. If only we would read this book and become wiser as to his tactics so that we could overcome him the next time he comes around trying to snare us using... the same old bag of tricks.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:59 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
I nominate God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

It's a wonderful book about a man who grew up in Holland during WWII and from there becomes a Bible smuggler to Eastern Europe, the USSR, and China at the height of the Cold War. This book is exciting, filled with adventure, and the awesomeness of God's power in real life situations.

Yes it is a biography, but I promise it is nothing like the boring old ones that water everything down that you (or at least I) had to read as a kid. It will challenge you, entertain you, and most assuredly keep you on the edge of your seat wondering how in the world God is going to get this man out of harms way again - or will Brother Andrew give his life in the line of spreading the Truth?

Again, this is another one of those books I highly recommend - even if it isnt chosen as book of the month. It grew me in my faith and challenged me yet again to not just sit idly by and let the world happen around me, but that I can make an eternal difference to the world around me by living the life that God has for me and glorifying Him in it in all I do.
\:D/

(This book is also in The Narrow Road coauthored with Jars of Clay)

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
I nominate The Covenant by Bevery Lewis. It contains plenty of romance and drama for readers. It is about an Amish family who has daughters that are about to or are courting. Leah dreams of marrying a man named Jonas, but her father has plans for her to marry someone named Gid. Leah's sister, Sadie, is running off in the modern world and has a modern boyfriend. Everything is great for Sadie until things happen. The youngest of the family are twins, Mary Ruth and Hannah. Mary Ruth wishes to be a school teacher, but that would mean leaving her Amish family and church. Hannah is worried that Mary Ruth will leave, and they will never see each other again. This book is clearly a great book to read even if it doesn't get Book Of The Month!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:19 pm 
Honourary Canadian!

Thank you for the nominations! The poll will be up tomorrow (Sunday). :D

EDIT: The poll is now up! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
So, I didn't actually know that the book nominating part was over. :- Oh well, there's always next month.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm 
Honourary Canadian!

Thank you for voting, and yay for JF777 and Brother Andrew for pulling off this win! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
JesusFreak777 won again!? :o
Congratulations! :D

I've heard positive things about God's Smuggler elsewhere and will attempt to pick up Brother Andrew's book.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
As much as I loved "Thorn in My Heart" when I read it a few years ago, and as good as "The Screwtape Letters" is, I think that this will be another fantastic book of the month! It seems that JF has a flair for nominating excellent books! :D I've never read "God's Smuggler" but I've heard good things. I'll have to try to read it this summer - this is the perfect motivation!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
It is totally worth it! Thanks so much everyone! I hope it's ok if I am reading the Narrow Road/Jars of Clay version. The story is identical, it just has some sidebars added in from other missionaries and stuff. If I need to count the page number from the original book though, please let me know. I actually don't know how much of a difference it is.

Be ready to read some awesome stuff again guys!

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:00 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 146.04
I think that someone asked this earlier.... but what if I have already read the book of the month, but not this summer?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:35 pm 
Honourary Canadian!

Hannahjiejie wrote:
I think that someone asked this earlier.... but what if I have already read the book of the month, but not this summer?

If you've read the Book of the Month within the past year, you can count it. Just don't double the page count in that case. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:38 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
We happened to have a copy of God's Smuggler to China by in our home already, and I started reading it today. I'm 85 pages in! \:D/ It's not the original God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew; this one's by Brother David. However, Brother Andrew wrote the foreward and appears and interacts with Brother David in the book. In fact, Brother David, a dyslexic who tended to avoid reading, read Brother Andrew's book and a day later was contacted by Brother Andrew himself, a key confirmation in Brother David's life!

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 18 posts ]