Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 15 posts ] 

Vote for the August Book of the Month!
Poll ended at Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm
At Home in Mitford (Jan Karon) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
The One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven (Mark Cahill) 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
The Hiding Place (Corrie ten Boom) 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (C.S. Lewis) 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post Post subject: August Book of the Month
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:45 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
We've chosen four finalists! Cast your vote for the August Book of the Month by this Tuesday! \:D/

Jugglah wrote:
I would like to nominate At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. As the summer is winding down, wouldn't you like to finish it off with a book like this - laid-back enough to enjoy, but thought-provoking enough to get your lazy mind revved up for the coming school year?

First off, I must dispel the preconceived notions you might have picked up about this book, if you've heard of it. Objection #1: My great-grandma owns this book. Wouldn't that be reason enough to run away from this book? Truth #1: Maybe your the octogenarian in your family has really good taste. Seriously, though, this book can be enjoyed by any age, especially because it's about a whole town, so you can find always find a character to relate to. Objection #2: Um, I'm a guy. And I can tell from the cover - if this was a movie, it would be a chick flick. Truth #2 (forgive unintentional Dixie Chicks reference): This is true only if you think The Andy Griffith Show is a chick flick. Or, as a matter of fact, if you think AIO is a chick flick. Because each of these things are about small towns, where it's mostly life as usual. But of course, these things aren't always so quiet. This book happens to involve jewel smugglers and shoot-outs, alongside the made-from-scratch cooking and rocking chair-laden front porches.

So, I just realized that I haven't described the book. :- Ok, so briefly, it's about a 60-year-old Episcopal priest named Father Tim who is the rector of a church in Mitford, North Carolina. This first book in the series chronicles about a year in the life of the inhabitants of the town. By the way, that's really what makes this book - the characters. Describing them as eccentric would be the understatement of the year. You've got Father Tim's nosy secretary, Emma. You've got Miss Sadie, the oldest resident of the town, with a heart of gold and a bank account of millions. You've got Barnabas, Father Tim's Buick-sized dog, who only obeys when people quote scripture to him. You've got Dooley (isn't that a great name?), a boy with bad teeth, bad grammar, and a bad attitude, who finds himself at a loss when he encounters the love of the people of Mitford. And the list goes on and on.

Sorry for the lengthy descriptions - I just really love this book. And I can bet that you would, too (I feel like I'm on Reading Rainbow *sigh*). But seriously, this is not one to miss.

JesusFreak777 wrote:
I nominate the book The One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven by Mark Cahill. This is a great book that again, I recommend to everyone. It's a nonfiction book about evangelism. I know what you are thinking - this book si going to be boring or totally crazy asking me to embarrass myself like Connie did or be one of those embarrassing street preachers who everyone runs away from. Hold on though, I promise it isn't like that at all. Cahill gives interesting and fun ways to share the Gospel to people and a manner that is biblically accurate and doesn't diminish the power of Christ, what He did for us, or our need for Him as sinners. The stories Cahill gives are hilarious and heartbreaking, entertaining yet all real with a fresh perspective on something that terrifies most Christians today. It's an easy fast read and I highly encourage you to read this book (and if you have time read his second book entitled One Heartbeat Away which is written directly to the non-believer).

Laura Ingalls wrote:
I nominate The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill) - the true story of the ten Boom family and their journey through the horrors of World War II and a Nazi concentration camp. It can be a hard book to read, but it is so good too. Their courage in bad circumstances, Corrie struggling with forgiveness, and all the other lessons she learned during those years makes for an inspiring story.

Trent DeWhite wrote:
I forgot how difficult it is to narrow down one's choices to a single book... but I will endeavor to do so, anyway. ;) The book I'd like to nominate for the month of August is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. When Edmund and Lucy find themselves visiting their bully of a cousin, Eustace, they think they're in for a long summer. Little do they know of the seafaring adventure on which they are about to embark. Filled with everything from invisible creatures to dragons, this particular novel is a popular favorite amongst Narnia lovers. It doesn't matter how old or young you are - this book is certain to capture your imagination!

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: August Book of the Month -- nominate by Thursday!
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 pm 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
I nominate The White Night by Gilbert Morris. It is about a man named Luke Winslow who lost his love and a dear friend. Believing that he was responsible for his friends death, he decides to help his friend's sister. Joelle. Joelle has a home for girls. Luke Winslow soon realizes he is in love with this woman, but says he is not worthy enough for her. After Luke becomes a Christian, Joelle discovers the shocking truth about the man she loves. When World War II starts, Luke takes to the air to fight against the German. During the war, he and a long-term enemy have a promised match. This is a story about love, forgivness, and courage.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
I would like to nominate At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. As the summer is winding down, wouldn't you like to finish it off with a book like this - laid-back enough to enjoy, but thought-provoking enough to get your lazy mind revved up for the coming school year?

First off, I must dispel the preconceived notions you might have picked up about this book, if you've heard of it. Objection #1: My great-grandma owns this book. Wouldn't that be reason enough to run away from this book? Truth #1: Maybe your the octogenarian in your family has really good taste. Seriously, though, this book can be enjoyed by any age, especially because it's about a whole town, so you can find always find a character to relate to. Objection #2: Um, I'm a guy. And I can tell from the cover - if this was a movie, it would be a chick flick. Truth #2 (forgive unintentional Dixie Chicks reference): This is true only if you think The Andy Griffith Show is a chick flick. Or, as a matter of fact, if you think AIO is a chick flick. Because each of these things are about small towns, where it's mostly life as usual. But of course, these things aren't always so quiet. This book happens to involve jewel smugglers and shoot-outs, alongside the made-from-scratch cooking and rocking chair-laden front porches.

So, I just realized that I haven't described the book. :- Ok, so briefly, it's about a 60-year-old Episcopal priest named Father Tim who is the rector of a church in Mitford, North Carolina. This first book in the series chronicles about a year in the life of the inhabitants of the town. By the way, that's really what makes this book - the characters. Describing them as eccentric would be the understatement of the year. You've got Father Tim's nosy secretary, Emma. You've got Miss Sadie, the oldest resident of the town, with a heart of gold and a bank account of millions. You've got Barnabas, Father Tim's Buick-sized dog, who only obeys when people quote scripture to him. You've got Dooley (isn't that a great name?), a boy with bad teeth, bad grammar, and a bad attitude, who finds himself at a loss when he encounters the love of the people of Mitford. And the list goes on and on.

Sorry for the lengthy descriptions - I just really love this book. And I can bet that you would, too (I feel like I'm on Reading Rainbow *sigh*). But seriously, this is not one to miss.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
I nominate the book The One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven by Mark Cahill. This is a great book that again, I recommend to everyone. It's a nonfiction book about evangelism. I know what you are thinking - this book si going to be boring or totally crazy asking me to embarrass myself like Connie did or be one of those embarrassing street preachers who everyone runs away from. Hold on though, I promise it isn't like that at all. Cahill gives interesting and fun ways to share the Gospel to people and a manner that is biblically accurate and doesn't diminish the power of Christ, what He did for us, or our need for Him as sinners. The stories Cahill gives are hilarious and heartbreaking, entertaining yet all real with a fresh perspective on something that terrifies most Christians today. It's an easy fast read and I highly encourage you to read this book (and if you have time read his second book entitled One Heartbeat Away which is written directly to the non-believer).

Happy reading everyone!

JF

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 am 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 392.80
Bank: 80.45
I nominate The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill) - the true story of the ten Boom family and their journey through the horrors of World War II and a Nazi concentration camp. It can be a hard book to read, but it is so good too. Their courage in bad circumstances, Corrie struggling with forgiveness, and all the other lessons she learned during those years makes for an inspiring story.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:38 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 146.04
I nominate Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

It is an amazing book, literature and content. It takes place during the French revolution and is presented in such a way that all sides of the conflict really become... real.
I think that it should be the book of the month because it presents freedom in a true light, and opens the world's eyes to "Liberty, Fraternity, Equality or Death".

Offline Profile  

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:22 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
I forgot how difficult it is to narrow down one's choices to a single book... but I will endeavor to do so, anyway. ;) The book I'd like to nominate for the month of August is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. When Edmund and Lucy find themselves visiting their bully of a cousin, Eustace, they think they're in for a long summer. Little do they know of the seafaring adventure on which they are about to embark. Filled with everything from invisible creatures to dragons, this particular novel is a popular favorite amongst Narnia lovers. It doesn't matter how old or young you are - this book is certain to capture your imagination!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: August Book of the Month -- vote by Tuesday!
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
Honourary Canadian!

The poll is up! Everyone go vote! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:08 pm 
Night is Falling
Night is Falling
iTroll

Cash: 142.88
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
Aw man, I didn't notice your post about nominating books for this :(.

Oh well *votes*.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:47 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Bank: 318.75
I loved all of the Narnia series!

Offline Profile  

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 am 
Honourary Canadian!

Congratulations to Trent DeWhite, who nominated the winning book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader! :D

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: August Book of the Month
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,105.11
Bank: 1,958.31
Aww, I forgot to vote in time. :( Trent obviously rigged the vote :x but that is a great book! :D

Jugglah's post reminded me that I've wanted to read "At Home at Mitford" for a long time! There are so many good books out there!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 am 
The Council must persist

You'd think I'd have learned by now: if you want to win, then don't nominate a book you think people will enjoy, nominate a book that's already everyone's favorite! Some people are smart. Good job using your head, Trent! :D

Offline Profile  

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:09 am 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
Right, I chose Voyage because I didn't think people would enjoy it. ;)

Offline Profile  

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:22 pm 
The Council must persist

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Right, I chose Voyage because I didn't think people would enjoy it. ;)

Twisting my words... :shame: Haha, I guess I meant that probably at least 80% of the users here have read it already.

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 15 posts ]