Game Day!

It's a week of fun, games, and healthy competition! Welcome to the ToO's first-ever Spirit Week, "a game of knowledge and skill"! \:D/

Game Day!

Postby LizzieG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:58 am

Tuesday is GAME DAY! \:D/

All of the 28 participants are now safe and sound in their team headquarters, and most of their team names have changed! Team Whit is now Peanut Butter Lollipops, Team Eugene has become Rainbow Unicorns, and Team Wooton morphed into The Rath of the Israelites! :mad: Team Connie is still Team Connie, but don't get too used to that name, people!

If you missed day one of Spirit Week and are feeling a little lost right now, check out the main Spirit Week informational thread, or glance back at yesterday's Bible Day thread to see what all went down.

Here are today's challenges (again, today-specific stuff is in blue, and both the group and individual challenges are due TODAY, at 11:59 PM, EDT.

WEEK-LONG GROUP CHALLENGE

Don't forget to be thinking about the group challenge! We're looking for something that best shows the spirit of the ToO, and does so creatively! Shop items - complete with a short description, long description, and small image - will be due Friday.

PUT YOUR HEADS TOGETHER!

Today's group challenge will be a game of Scattergories! \:D/ The rules are simple: I will give you a list of categories and a randomly-chosen letter. Your groups will have to come up with words for each category that begin with the chosen letter (example: If the category was car and the letter was C, you could put down Chevrolet). The catch, however, is that if you and your opponent(s) come up with the same answer at any point, you both have to cross it off and neither of you get the points. Alliteration is encouraged (example: Chinese checkers is worth two points). Since the time limit is all day instead of a few minutes, however, there will be one modification: you can come up with as many words for the various categories as you can! :D

The List:
  • Office items
  • Toys/games
  • Historical figures
  • Cartoon characters
  • Desserts
  • Terms associated with the Internet
  • Places in Odyssey (AIO, not the ToO)
  • Bible characters
  • Movies
  • Things associated with Canada

The letter is M.

STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD!

Lizzie's Summer Word Search

There are 10 words in this word search, and they are words that I most associate with this summer of mine. For the individual challenge, find one of the words, and PM me to let me know which one you found. Remember, you don't have to be on a team to participate in these individual challenges! :)

Simply change your avatar to your group's theme, and follow the instructions in your faction for getting credit. The team(s) with the highest number of avatar-changers will get today's "avatar points." Also, make sure you post in the correct thread after you change your avatar! I double-checked around the factions today to make sure everyone who had changed their avatars was accounted for, but, from now on, I'll just be checking those specifically-designated threads. :)

• Peanut Butter Lollipops!: Computer/video games
  • Team Connie: Board games
  • Rainbow Unicorns: Group/outdoor games
  • The Rath of the Israelites: Toys

---------------------------------

Monday's Group Challenge Answers

1. What is the only book of the Bible that offers a blessing to those who read it, hear it, and pay attention to it?
Revelation - Rev. 1:3
2. In Bible times, what were the three main kinds of birds caught for food in Palestine? Pigeon, partridge, and quail
3. Which coastal Palestinian city was founded under the name of Straton? Caesarea
4. List a Bible verse and a song that quotes that verse (include lyrics and a link to where the lyrics are available): Multiple answers.
5. What important event in biblical history occurred during the Intertestamental Greek period of Jewish history? What number is significant to this event and why? The writing of the Septuagint, the oldest Greek version of the Old Testament, by 70 interpreters. No one got this answer, but I gave half-credit to those who mentioned the Maccabean Revolt.
6. List 5 qualities of a fool, with references. Multiple answers, among them (and complements of the team that won yesterday's challenge):
  • Loves to do mischief. {Prov. 10:23}
  • Causes strife and contention. {Prov. 18:6}
  • Despises wisdom and instruction. {Prov. 1:7}
  • Hides hatred by lying and slanders. {Prov. 10:18}
  • Mocks sin. {Prov. 14:9}
7. Who were the five people in the New Testament named James?
Illustrated Bible Dictionary wrote:
  • "The elder" son of Zebedee and brother of John, one of the Twelve, was martyred under Herod Agrippa.
  • James "the younger," son of Alphaeus, was also an Apostle.
  • James "the brother of the Lord" was a pillar in the church at Jerusalem and had probably been led to believe by a special appearance of our Lord to him.
  • A son of Mary.
  • The father of Judas.

8. Identify the following coins from Roman, Greek, and/or Hebrew currency. Coin 1 (Greek)- drachma. Coin 2 (Roman) - denarius. Coin 3 (Hebrew) - shekel/half-shekel.
9. Which "Azariah" in the Old Testament is better known by another, foreign name? Abednego
10. Which prophet has a lineal genealogy of the most depth (meaning, goes back the most generations)? Zephaniah
Zephaniah is the only prophet with a lineal genealogy of such depth. His ancestry is traced back four generations to a person named Hezekiah (1:1). Although this Hezekiah is not specifically designated as the famous king by that name, there can be little question that this is the reason for the length of the genealogy.

Current Scores:

Peanut Butter Lollipops: 25*
Rainbow Unicorns: 20
The Rath of the Israelites: 20
Team Connie: 0

*Won yesterday's group challenge with the highest number of correct answers! :D

Remember, it's only been a day; there's plenty of time to catch up! \:D/
I love the \:D/ smiley
LizzieG

Honourary Canadian!

Cash on hand: 33.86
Bank: 660.73

Re: Game Day!

Postby Irwin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 am

For the "Scattergories" who determines if something even fits in the category or not?
Springer from Odyssey
Irwin

misses "Spam-Happy Spammonger!"

Cash on hand: 0.00
Bank: 0.00

Postby JesusFreak777 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 am

Can we use helps to come up with words, or is this all off the top of our head?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Council is GREAT!
JesusFreak777

figuring everything out - YAY

Cash on hand: 67.18
Bank: 578.00

Postby Trent DeWhite » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 pm

We're following the same basic rules of Scattegories, correct? So... no using the same word twice, right?

(For instance, if the letter was "B," we couldn't get both "banana bread" and "banana split" for the desserts category.)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Former Mayor
Trent DeWhite

Cash on hand: 55.12
Bank: 962.00

Postby LizzieG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Irwin wrote:For the "Scattergories" who determines if something even fits in the category or not?

Me! \:D/

JesusFreak777 wrote:Can we use helps to come up with words, or is this all off the top of our head?

All off the top of your head. :)

Trent DeWhite wrote:We're following the same basic rules of Scattegories, correct? So... no using the same word twice, right?

(For instance, if the letter was "B," we couldn't get both "banana bread" and "banana split" for the desserts category.)

Correct.
I love the \:D/ smiley
LizzieG

Honourary Canadian!

Cash on hand: 33.86
Bank: 660.73

Return to Spirit Week