Fall Photo Contest

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Fall Photo Contest

Postby bookworm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 am

I love Fall! If you've been around for previous Fall Festivals you've surely seen me mention it's my favorite season. I love the weather this time of year, starting to get blustery but not yet wet out, and I love the visuals of the changing leaves all over. I had the idea to ask people to share their Fall photos so we could experience more seasonal goodness than we would just on our own, and then thought I might as well make it an event.

So let me announce the 2017 Fall Photo Contest!

Your prompt is "What Autumn Means To Me" take a photo of a scene that represents what you most strongly assosiate with the season of autumn or what you first think of when you think about this time of year. What I anticipate this being is mostly a lot of photos of changing leaves, but if something else means autumn for you by all means use that. There's no wrong way to interpret the prompt, you will have an opportunity to explain why you used the photo you did.

Rules, logistics, and procedure:
  • Photos must be taken by you, but do not have to be taken for this contest, you may submit a photo you took in the past.
  • PM me your photo along with a brief description of what it is and why it represents autumn to you. This is especially important if it isn't something obvious like pretty leaves. If it's a more subtle or personal thing that's great, but I need to understand why you make the connection.
  • Submissions will be accepted all November, you can send them in any time. You may submit up to three photos. If you have already submitted three but take one later that you think is better you can send it to me and let me know which previous photo you want it to replace.
  • At the end of the Fall Festival I will judge all the photos that have been submitted and four submissions will recieve a $55 prize! Limited to one prize per entrant, meaning sending three photos increases your chance of winning one of the four prizes, but you will not win more than one of them. (Prize money provided by grants from Moontide and Dredge)
  • Judging will not be based on artistic merit, so don't avoid entering out of concern you don't take 'professional' photos or the quality isn't perfect, I will be judging on how well I believe the content and spirit of your photo meets the prompt based on your explanation.

If you submit a photo please leave a post announcing your participation, but I ask that you refrain from sharing the photo until the end of the contest.

I can't wait to see what everyone sends! \:D/
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 995.84
Bank: 53,459.96

Re: Fall Photo Contest

Postby Tikvah » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I wish I had seen this sooner so I could submit a photo, but unfortunately Fall has already morphed into Winter up here.:( Maybe if the snow melts off I can send one in \:D/
Catspaw knows all
Tikvah

Cash on hand: 176.72
Bank: 0.00

Postby bookworm » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:20 pm

I know we're probably out of prime Fall scenery for most people by now :( but I made the prompt more general so people could think outside the obvious.

If you can't get a picture of pretty leaves because they all fell already you could take a picture of the trees that had pretty leaves a few weeks ago and it would still fit the prompt. It means Autumn to you because it was a pretty scene you saw back in more typical Fall weather. It doesn't matter that I can't see it myself in the photo, I'm going off what you explain to me.

It also doesn't have to be a nature scene. Maybe someone sends in a photo of a specific location they find themselves frequenting this time of year. Or a photo of an object that represents an activity they participate in or associate with the season. There's honestly no wrong way to go with it.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby The Doctor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

*posts for bookworm*
I'll catch up to Bren!
The Doctor

The man that stops the monsters

Cash on hand: 2,098.78
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)

Postby bookworm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm

If I could enter I would have submitted these three photos I took the last week of October:

The one I used for the banner image. I like how it shows all the stages of changing leaves, from green to multiple shades of orange.

This one of some leaves that, I think because of the way the sun was lighting some but casting shadows on others, resulted in an image that to me looks more like light glinting through orange textured glass than leaves. It's just an optical illusion from how the photo turned out though, in real life it didn't look like that it was just a pretty tree.

And this one I took for an art class assignment to demonstrate focal point.

These represent autumn to me because one of my favorite things about this time of year is always seeing these beautiful scenes all around of various shaped leaves in different shades of warm fall colors.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Catspaw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Those are beautiful, bookworm! I especially like the contrast on the last one!
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 5,195.07
Bank: 1,958.31

Return to Finneman's Market