[ 7 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Fall Photo Contest
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Cash: 484.70
Bank: 54,800.00

I love Fall! If you've been around for previous Fall Festivals you've surely seen me mention it's my favorite season. I love the weather this time of year, starting to get blustery but not yet wet out, and I love the visuals of the changing leaves all over. I had the idea to ask people to share their Fall photos so we could experience more seasonal goodness than we would just on our own, and then thought I might as well make it an event.

So let me announce the 2017 Fall Photo Contest!

Your prompt is "What Autumn Means To Me" take a photo of a scene that represents what you most strongly assosiate with the season of autumn or what you first think of when you think about this time of year. What I anticipate this being is mostly a lot of photos of changing leaves, but if something else means autumn for you by all means use that. There's no wrong way to interpret the prompt, you will have an opportunity to explain why you used the photo you did.

Rules, logistics, and procedure:
  • Photos must be taken by you, but do not have to be taken for this contest, you may submit a photo you took in the past.
  • PM me your photo along with a brief description of what it is and why it represents autumn to you. This is especially important if it isn't something obvious like pretty leaves. If it's a more subtle or personal thing that's great, but I need to understand why you make the connection.
  • Submissions will be accepted all November, you can send them in any time. You may submit up to three photos. If you have already submitted three but take one later that you think is better you can send it to me and let me know which previous photo you want it to replace.
  • At the end of the Fall Festival I will judge all the photos that have been submitted and four submissions will recieve a $55 prize! Limited to one prize per entrant, meaning sending three photos increases your chance of winning one of the four prizes, but you will not win more than one of them. (Prize money provided by grants from Moontide and Dredge)
  • Judging will not be based on artistic merit, so don't avoid entering out of concern you don't take 'professional' photos or the quality isn't perfect, I will be judging on how well I believe the content and spirit of your photo meets the prompt based on your explanation.

If you submit a photo please leave a post announcing your participation, but I ask that you refrain from sharing the photo until the end of the contest.

I can't wait to see what everyone sends! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Fall Photo Contest
Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:07 pm 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I wish I had seen this sooner so I could submit a photo, but unfortunately Fall has already morphed into Winter up here.:( Maybe if the snow melts off I can send one in \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:20 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

I know we're probably out of prime Fall scenery for most people by now :( but I made the prompt more general so people could think outside the obvious.

If you can't get a picture of pretty leaves because they all fell already you could take a picture of the trees that had pretty leaves a few weeks ago and it would still fit the prompt. It means Autumn to you because it was a pretty scene you saw back in more typical Fall weather. It doesn't matter that I can't see it myself in the photo, I'm going off what you explain to me.

It also doesn't have to be a nature scene. Maybe someone sends in a photo of a specific location they find themselves frequenting this time of year. Or a photo of an object that represents an activity they participate in or associate with the season. There's honestly no wrong way to go with it.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
The man that stops the monsters

Cash: 2,117.02
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
*posts for bookworm*

Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

If I could enter I would have submitted these three photos I took the last week of October:

The one I used for the banner image. I like how it shows all the stages of changing leaves, from green to multiple shades of orange.

This one of some leaves that, I think because of the way the sun was lighting some but casting shadows on others, resulted in an image that to me looks more like light glinting through orange textured glass than leaves. It's just an optical illusion from how the photo turned out though, in real life it didn't look like that it was just a pretty tree.

And this one I took for an art class assignment to demonstrate focal point.

These represent autumn to me because one of my favorite things about this time of year is always seeing these beautiful scenes all around of various shaped leaves in different shades of warm fall colors.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,372.65
Bank: 1,958.31
Those are beautiful, bookworm! I especially like the contrast on the last one!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of attention this got. Surprised too, I thought for sure there would be at least one entry. You all realize that if less than four people entered you were guaranteed money regardless of what you sent in right?...

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 7 posts ]