DIGITAL FISH

Review my latest short-story

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Ferder
Pilgrim

DIGITAL FISH

Post by Ferder »

This is a true story I wrote for a contest (and which I may also try and get published). Tell me what you think of it.

DIGITAL FISH

Perhaps it was the spring feeling of newness and rejuvenation in the air that prompted Dad to purchase the DVD player. We figured it was most likely because our record player was playing his recordings with more skips than a jump rope convention. Only a few days before Dad had said, “I was noticing in the stores that for the same price as a new CD player, you can buy a DVD player that can play both DVDs and CDs.”
This was a good sign. Dad was never one to pass up a two-for-one offer.
He bought the player a few days later.
“Let’s test it out,” I said.
“Ok,” Dad said. He put a CD of Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos into the player. The Classical music drifted out of the living-room speakers.
“Oh good,” Dad said. “It works.”
I noticed Dad’s qualifications for a working DVD were a little different from ours.

The next morning I told Dad to pick up a DVD movie on his way back from work and spent the rest of the day in eager anticipation. What sort of DVD would Dad get? Hopefully he would pick a new release full of high tech special effects and sound to show off DVD technology at its best. Knowing Dad, though, it would probably be some classic epic such as “The Ten Commandments” or “Ben Hur”.

Meanwhile, Dad was standing at the counter of the video store with his freshly-picked DVD in hand.
“Hi,” he said to the girl. He placed the DVD on the desk, smiley-face $1.00-rental sticker, facing up. “I just got a DVD player so I thought I’d try it out.”
“Oh,” the girl said, placing the DVD in its rental case while Dad counted out his quarters and dimes. She handed it back to Dad.
“Have you seen this one,” he asked.
“Uh…no, I don’t think I have,” the girl said, shaking her head lightly.

“Did you get a DVD?” I asked as soon as soon Dad came home.
“Yep,” he said handing me the case.
I looked at the disk inside. It was titled Experience the Deep.
“Um…what is this?”
“I think it’s like an IMAX or something,” Dad said.
“Oh”. I had been looking forward to watching an actual movie. This was a bitter blow but I tried not to show my disappointment.

I inserted the DVD into the player. The opening menu swam onto the screen—literally.
“How do we make the movie start?” asked Dad. I handed him the player’s remote control.
“How do you use this thing?” he said.
Five minutes later, after Dad had managed to shut the player on and off several times and turn on Spanish titles, I finally started the Feature Presentation.
The movie opened with a shot of a coral reef set to synthesized music and bubbly sound effects. Watery shadows rippled over white sand. Anemones undulated and waved as clown fish swam in and out of their tentacles.
We peered at the television screen, waiting for the show to actually start. The shot of the anemones dissolved to a scene set in what appeared to be a different part of the reef. Several damsel fish seemed to be playing a game of hide and seek amongst the coral. Five scenes of the reef later, we still couldn’t find any point to the video. There wasn’t even the smooth voice of a narrator explaining the life-cycle of the blue-lined snapper.
Finally my younger brother stated what dad and I couldn’t bring ourselves to admit.
“This is just a bunch of fish,” he said.
He was right. Dad’s DVD was nothing more than scene after scene of coral fish and cheesy music. I began to think that we could have done better if we’d sawed off the top of the TV and filled it with water.
“But it said on the case something about the stunning digital quality,” was dad’s excuse later when we asked him what possible reason drove him to pick this embarrassment to entertainment.
“They made it sound so interesting. No wonder the girl at the counter said she hadn’t seen it.”
“Why didn’t you get a good movie?” my brother said.
Dad was in trouble now. He knew that unless he found something of redeeming value on the dreadful DVD we would never let him live this event down. I felt partially responsible since I told Dad that he had to get a DVD in the first place. There had to be a way to come to Dad’s rescue. I fast-forwarded through the movie. It was all just fish.
Dad had chosen the most pointless DVD ever made. DVDs were supposed to be exciting, high quality movies with loads of special features.
I suddenly grabbed the remote control. Of course! Special Features. Why didn’t I think of it before?
My brother was just walking out of the room. I called him back and loaded up the main menu. Sure enough, Special Features was on the list. We all held our breath as I loaded them up.
A screen appeared showing several bubbles on a blue background. In the center of each bubble were some words. Dad, my brother and I leaned in closer to read them.

Why is it so easy to weigh fish?
Because they have their own scales!

What fish can be adjusted to play music?
The tune-a-fish!

“These are fish jokes!” my brother said.
There was nothing more I could do for Dad. These jokes were the final trout that broke the fishing tackle. I got up and left the room, leaving Dad staring sadly at the television.

Why did the trout cross the ocean?
To get to the other tide!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

HAHAHA that had me rolling HAHHA
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Thanks. Glad to know that it fullfilled its purpose.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Did you say that really happened? It's funny btw!
...I hate marquees.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Hmm... It's very funny and I love the story, but It's kind of hard to read in places. It just doesn't quite move quickly enough for a humor piece. I thoroughly enjoyed the dry humor, but have you considered that it's possibly just a bit too dry in places? No pun intended ;-) I hope I don't sound critical, because that wasn't my intention at all. I just see that this has the potential to be the quality of something written by a veteran humor author, and I really want that for you.

All in all, you did a very good job on it. I would rate it an 8/10.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Thank you very much for your comments, Racheal. I'm actually looking for some constuctive critisism on this since I really like to fine-tune my stories after I have written them. It's also good when some eyes other than have a look at the story so I can hear what they think about it.
Could you be more specific about the parts where it gets a little slow, or too dry?
For this local anual contest, I ussaly have to write 500-word stories, so I got used to writing in a very short, snappy style where there wasn't room to really to elaborate on anything, but I guess since this year I entered in the 1000-word adult catagory, I loosened up a bit and wrote more than nescesary.
Actually a few years ago I wrote a story that was over 1000 words (Mervin's Music). I heard that it would have won if it wasn't over the 500 word limit. With some help I sharpened the story down to 600 words (which would have been acceptable for the contest). I entered the story in a different contest and it won 3rd place and was published in a book.
I've already sent "Digital Fish" to the local contest, but I hope to send it on to the other contest as well (in the hopes that it will also be published).
That's why I want the help in making the story as readable and enjoyable as possible.
BTW, if you want to have a look at any of my other short-stories they are all over at my website www.ferderfiles.tk
Me
An original

Post by Me »

As I am no expert, I can't really say much other than that I enjoyed it. I'm surprised nothing like that has happened to me, considering the number of people I am in contact with who really know nothing about movie selection.

The dialogue was great. Realistic and humorous.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I know what you mean. I'm always posting stuff, and other than, 'wow, that was great' and the occasional flame for no apparent reason, I can't seem to get any constructive criticism.

I guess some of the words were just too big and it was elaborated on just teensy bit too much. I see the effect you were going for, but I think it's a little too strong. Try toning the dry, intellectual style humor down a notch and see how it turns out. Am I making any sense at all, because my brain stopped working an hour ago.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

You make sense to me at the current time.

As for the dry humor, that was what made the story so good IMHO (realizes that this might be because that is my fav. kind of humor). Although it would be interesting to see a version with it toned down, I would recommend leaving it in.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I'm not suggesting it be taken out at all; dry humor is also one of my favorite forms of comedy. I'm just suggesting that a sentence or two be shortened, an elaborate word be simplified here and there... just to make it a bit easier to read. As I've said before, it's very good; I think it's in the revision state right now.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

LOL!!! Great story, Ferder! I love it! Too funny! :lol:
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Rachael wrote:I'm not suggesting it be taken out at all; dry humor is also one of my favorite forms of comedy. I'm just suggesting that a sentence or two be shortened, an elaborate word be simplified here and there... just to make it a bit easier to read. As I've said before, it's very good; I think it's in the revision state right now.
So what words, sentences and elaborations in particular are you refering too?
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Hmm... Maybe it's not the words so much as the way their put together. It's hard to put my finger exactly on it, but if I had written it I would know exactly what I wanted to say. Let me see what happens when I attempt to revise it like it was my own:
“But it said on the case something about the stunning digital quality,” was dad’s excuse later when we asked him what possible reason drove him to pick this embarrassment to entertainment.
When we asked Dad what drove him to pick this particular DVD, we got a predictable answer. “But it said on the case something about the stunning digital quality!”

It's kind of hard for me to revise it since I haven't just written the whole story, but do you see what I'm trying to get at? Readibility is crucial to keeping your readers interests; the more polished and easier to read it is, the more readers you'll get. Like I've said before, I think it's in the very final stages of revision. You've done a lot, and now all that's left is to get input (which you've obviously been doing!)

Just remember, no matter how experienced the reviewer is, any decision to change something in your story is yours and yours alone. It's usually wise to take advice from someone who knows what they're talking about (I'm not talking about myself, per se; I had an English teacher or publishing firm editor in mind), but only the author can make that kind of decision. If you decide not to, you run the risk of getting a failing grade or getting your manuscript rejected-- or publishing a best seller with a different company. Sometimes people like a different style of writing; take Mark Twain for instance.

I hope I've helped. I've been in the writing business since before I could read, and I know I sometimes come across as pushy or arrogant. That's not my intent at all, and I feel badly when I can't send an encouraging smile along with my emails.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

You're not coming across pushy or arogent at all. I welcome the aknowledgement of anything "a little off" you find in the story. I see what you mean about that part were Dad begins speaking. I'm glad you mentioned that because I probably would never have thought about that part. So yeah, please just point out more of those parts (if you'd like too, that is). You don't even have to try to see how it could be done differently.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I loved it!!! I actually disagree with Rachael. I like the way it was written--it was funnier that way. The way it was written made the whole scene funnier. If you had made everything flow together it wouldn't have gotten your point across as well. Great job =D> !
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I also loved the way you wrote it, Ferder. I told this story to my family, and they laughed so hard!!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.