stupid things

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a great story, jessicado!

I have a vehicle story, too, involving the formerly in mint condition van that my family used to have. (Well, it was older, and it wasn't in mint condition, but you get the idea).

It was Easter weekend three years ago, and it was the day of my cashiering test! I had been given a list of 100 codes to memorize and 100 fruits and vegetables that I had to recognize. On the computer test, I had to get at least 75% on both sections, as well as do some other stuff. I left to go take the test, and started backing up my driveway for the first time ever. I had been driving for over a year, but our driveway has a curve at the end, and I always turned around in the front part of the driveway. My grandma was visiting, and I didn't want to hit her car, so I figured that backing up couldn't be that hard! Famous last words.

I finally thought that I had made it, and I hit the gas a bit...and the passenger side of the van had a dented side and a shattered window, courtesy of the big, old oak tree at the end of our driveway. I was really freaked out, and I didn't want to be late for work, so I ran up the driveway into the house, and my mom drove me to work in the car, with me crying the whole time, more out of shock thananything else, since I wasn't hurt at all. I was able to delay my test until I calmed down a bit, and received excellent scores, and now I've been a cashier for a long time and life is good, but my best friend will never let me live down my accident!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

jessicado wrote:With my last car, I had been working on it and then went about things as normal. I noticed the car was hard to start to move...like when I would put my foot on the gas, it didn't accelerate very well.......but I just kinda observed it and then forgot about it. Well after a couple of days, it kept getting worse and worse so finally I called my dad, and he said it might be low transmission fluid. I checked and it was low, so I put some in, but in the next few errands it got awful. I would have to practically slam the pedal to the floor in order to get the car to move. Once the car was moving and I had to stop at a stoplight, it was fine..it was just the initial momentum or something I guess.......I picked up my sister and we went to Fred Meyers to get a CD I wanted, and when we came out the car was so bad the tires were squealing and the engine was revving out of control and the car still didn't move. My sister had to get out and push the car to get it to move. I drove her to my parent's house and told my dad the problem. He went to the car and undid the parking break..... :oops:
:hilarious:

I hope you don't mind my laughter. :anxious: That story was classic.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Chandler wrote:
jessicado wrote:With my last car, I had been working on it and then went about things as normal. I noticed the car was hard to start to move...like when I would put my foot on the gas, it didn't accelerate very well.......but I just kinda observed it and then forgot about it. Well after a couple of days, it kept getting worse and worse so finally I called my dad, and he said it might be low transmission fluid. I checked and it was low, so I put some in, but in the next few errands it got awful. I would have to practically slam the pedal to the floor in order to get the car to move. Once the car was moving and I had to stop at a stoplight, it was fine..it was just the initial momentum or something I guess.......I picked up my sister and we went to Fred Meyers to get a CD I wanted, and when we came out the car was so bad the tires were squealing and the engine was revving out of control and the car still didn't move. My sister had to get out and push the car to get it to move. I drove her to my parent's house and told my dad the problem. He went to the car and undid the parking break..... :oops:

:thud: :rofl2: :rofl2: :hilarious:

Sounds like something I'd do :D

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

gimp80995 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

:thud: :rofl2: :rofl2: :hilarious:

Sounds like something I'd do :D

Peace Out

-Gimp
Nope--don't mind the laughing. I think it's funny too.....although it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY embarrasing. Don't tell that story to too many people..
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

That is soooo funny! :lol:
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

Sputnik wrote:
That is soooo funny! :lol:

oh man..that is soooo funny :rofl2: :rofl2:
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

Do you want me to tell you, honestly, the most stupid thing I donwe this month?? :anxious:
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Yes, yes we do.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

YEAH!!! tell us, tell us
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Its great to here about other peoples problems that your sure that will never will happen to you and then you will something even more stupid.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Today was my first day working for a local aviation company. I'm in the avionics deparment doing some electronic and electrical work. I was told to take off the nose cone of a certain airplane. No problem, I thought. Using my trusty screwdriver, I easily removed the screws on one side of the nose, went under the bottom, and came up the other side. I couldn't reach the top screws, so I grabbed a ladder and started removing the last two screws.

Just then, my boss came along to warn me to start at the top and work my way down. Unfortunately, he was too late, and I took out the last screw. The plane's nose cone slipped off and went crashing to the ground! :oops: On the bright side, the plastic cone wasn't cracked--whew!

It was a rather embarrassing accident to have on my first day.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I was apparently really tired or something today... when I was leaving work, I stood in front of the last door in the garage of where I work, and took out my keyring, and pressed the button on my car lock/unlock thing to open the door... :anxious:
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Last August I had just bought a new car (well, new to me it's an '83 Toyota Camry)...........anywho I have a bad habbit of NOT locking my doors on my cars (after all most of the time, what I own isn't much more than a peice of junk (but one that will get me where I've got to go) that no one in their right minds would want to steal.........and there generally isn't anything of any value in the car either.............

But this one day I locked to door (for reasons still unknown to me).........since I'm in the habbit of not locking my door, I left the keys in the ignition..........When I got back to the car I tried everything to get inside..........discovered I'll never be able to break into a car.

After about an hour of trying "the normal" ways to get in the car I came up with the bright idea to take a rock and make a "small" hole near the lock..........then I could reach in, unlock the door and be on my happy way. My friends who were with me thought I was nuts for trying this..........but they didn't have any better ideas, so we went for it (Note: I've done this with house windows before with no problem).

I didn't want to completely bust the window, so I tried to just tap the window to make a coupld or cracks so I could get to the lock..........a few taps (3-5 ) later the entire window shattered............I looked at all the shattered glass, then looked at my friends and said "guess what? I can reach the lock now!" They really thought I was nuts at that point for just joking about the situation instead of panicing about the window (or lack thereof).

The next morning I went to target and got some clear tape to make a temporary window similar to what is on Jeeps.........it worked pretty good. I didn't have any annoying flapping from wind on the freeway like with plastic, and I could see out of it just like glass (unlike the clearest plastic I could find).

I did finally get real glass back in there. Now I either have to start learning to take my keys out of the ignition...........or learn how to break into my car.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Jonathan wrote:Heh. Headphones, that reminds me. At the first church I did sound for, I was back there during one service, and one of the mics up front wasn't coming through the speakers. So, I put on my headphones, put that channel on solo, and procedded to turn up the sound. Nothing happend. I turned it up more. Nothing happened. I increased the input. Nothing happened. I finally realized that the channel was muted, and without thinking it, pressed the little button that read mute.

I literally tore the headphones from my head in pain. Then realized that there was still a good amount of feedback flying through the speakers, and quickly turned the input back down. I think everyone understood, but I wasn't too pleased. At the time; now I think it's funny.

-Jonathan
That sounds familer........I did that once too! :anxious: They do always blame the sound person! :surrender: I don't know why! It's not like we MEANT to do it.....it just happened! Although my churches music directer (and my piano teacher) is very understanding. Sound inncedents are always quite embarrising! Especially if you're the only person back there. :oops:
:rofl2:
:rofl2: That was SO funny!

Me
An original

Post by Me »

Reminds me of a friend of mine. He took his car into the shop to get some work done on it. When the work was done, he noticed that his car was acting wierd (jerking around at low speeds). He got quite mad at the place he took it until someone discovered that the emergency brake had been on for the last week. He never uses it, so he didn't notice. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Hmm. Breaking into cars. I have a friend who can pick locks.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Me wrote:
Hmm. Breaking into cars. I have a friend who can pick locks.
Then I need to meet your friend.

Peace Out

-Gimp