Bible LANGUAGES

NOT versions

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Bible LANGUAGES

Post by gimp80995 »

Do any of you ever read the Bible in languages other than English?

I often times read the Bible in Portuguese (yeah, I know, big suprise there)

So many versions of the Bible in English have been made to "simplify" the Bible and use "every day language". That is one reason why I prefer the King James Version: it uses an older, more regal form of English.

I also have a Portuguese Bible and I try to read it often. Sometimes I find that a specific verse in my Portuguese Bible holds a more powerful meaning than the identical verse in English... and all because of one or two small words!! So I encourage everyone to learn a second language and try to read the Bible in it. It can be eye opening.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I enjoy cracking open my Latin Vulgate every now and then. :D
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

You have a Latin Bible? That's soooo cool!

I have several German Bibles. (big surprise there...) And I read the Bible in German quite frequently, although I have my devotions in English.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've seen a Chinese Bible before. Not that I can read it or anything. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Evil Chick wrote:You have a Latin Bible? That's soooo cool!
It is very cool.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

That'd be cool to have a Latin Bible.

One of my former youth leaders had a Hebrew Bible (OT) and Greek (NT)......it had the english in one column and the Hebrew / Greek in the other. It was kinda cool.

I've also read various parts of the Bible in Spanish...........though since I don't speak / read Spanish very well, it was just a currioisty to see how to say different things......

Not too long ago I had a French Bible, but I loaned it to a friend and she lost it.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Frank wrote:I enjoy cracking open my Latin Vulgate every now and then. :D
:lol: I'm so impressed. :worship:

I've tried reading the Bible in Spanish before but I don't understand all the words. ](*,)
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

my bible's cool cause it's in english :anxious:

i can read it and understand it, i wouldn't be able to if it was in a different language \:D/
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

When my uncle got married I read some verses in French as well as English because his wife was french
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Frank wrote:I enjoy cracking open my Latin Vulgate every now and then. :D
That is cool, but isn't that supposed to be a less-than-perfect translation? I would never imply that the translations and versions that we typically use are perfect, but I thought that the Vulgate was less accurate than some. I guess it doesn't really matter, since you're not fully relying on it or anything.

I don't know any other language well enough to read the Bible in a different language, but I'm sure that it's cool if you can! \:D/
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I primarily use English, but when I was taking Russian as a Freshman, I got a Russian Bible, and occasionally perused it.
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

Hebrew? I don't know what it means, but I can sorta read it out.... :-k
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

My mom reads spanish bibles..
...I hate marquees.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Sputnik wrote:Hebrew? I don't know what it means, but I can sorta read it out.... :-k
For a while I went to a Jewish Synagouge (no worries, I didn't intend to convert or deny Jesus or anything) just to learn more about their beliefs and culture.

The first time I went was the shocker...........I am so naive..........I went there expecting them to speak English for the entire service :roll: I think there were all of 9 or 10 wrods spoken in English........the rest was in Hebrew..........I found out I spoke more Hebrew than I thought going in:

Adonai

Abba

Amen

Jeruselm (yeruselm)

Israel (ysrael)

Shabbat

Shalom

There were a few other words I recognized, but I don't remember which ones at this time.

Months passed and I didn't go back to a Synagouge after that (though they had really good food after their service :D )

When I moved to PA a while back, there was a Synagouge in the town I was living in not far from my house..........I got some curriosity back, and went to it..........the people were freindly and I wanted to learn more about what they believe, so every Friday night and most Saturday mornings I went to the Synagouge.

Now I wouldn't say I'm 100% fluent in Hebrew, but I can spot words like "Abba", "Shabbat", "Adonai", "Israel", "Jeruselm" and such when I'm reading Hebrew text........the rest I sound out and most of the time I know what the words mean...........

Granted, at the services we usually did the same prayer / Songs each week, so at a certian point I had memorized the Hebrew words.........but I also had a Hebrew book (teaching) at home which I used to learn the letters and sounds and such, so it wasn't long before I could sound out the Hebrew wording while reading the text.

Now I'm sure I probably couldn't write a typical letter to a friend in Hebrew (since most of my friends don't speak or read Hebrew) without a great deal of difficluty, but I could do it if I had to.

Everyone says English is the hardest language to learn..........and they may be right.......but I say Hebrew is a close second..........you learn Hebrew you can learn almost anything :D

Peace Out

-Gimp

Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

Hebrew has no 'J' in, uuh....ask Frodo she's studying it.....
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

I have a half of Francais Bible (NT), but I can't read much of it.
Those Bibles with the Greek, and English and Hebrew and English (lined up) are great for seeing if the translated the Bible properly - I don't have one, just have heard.
What do you do when your nose goes on strike?
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I have a Latin I think. My dad has many different bibles he can read Hebrew only though I think.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

A good friend of mine during my highschool years use to have a Russian Bible...........I would look at it, but don't understand anything in Ruissian, so it didn't do me a whole lot of good.

Peace Out

-Gimp

Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

At our school we have a lot of foriegn exchange students, so I've seen some Asian bibles..oh, and a Burmese Bible.