Your Sunday Morning Scramble

Share your crazy stories here!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Your Sunday Morning Scramble

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm sure many of us can relate to the Washingtons' crazy Sunday . . . even if the clocks are moving forward rather than back. ](*,) Any stories of your family's scramble to church? Maybe a forgotten child? Perhaps your dad was preaching that Sunday and he left his sermon notes at home? :D
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

Wow Sunday mornings are so crazy in my home. My brother, sister and I are always staying up late on Saturday nights therefore its really hard for us to wake up in hte morning. My parents just hate that, every Sunday they rush around the house coming to each of our rooms to wake us up. Naturally I pretend that I am already awake but responding to them as though I m not tired at all and ready for church. Little do they know I am so tired and am half asleep. I m totally ok with going to church and all but when you are really tired like I usually am its a different story. Well then after we all get up we usually get lectured about how we are so lazy and all that stuff. My church is quite a distance away from my house thats why we have to get up so early. But usually when we are running late we debate on which church we are going to attend (there are many churches near my house). Then after we decide which church to go to we have to decide how many cars we are going to take, naturally my brother, sister and I never like to be in the same car as my parents so we always drive ourselves and meet them there. Then when we arrive at church we always have to find each other and sometimes there arent enough seats near each other so we have to sit at different places, my parents dont like this and usualy lecture to us after about how we all should sit together as a family. Then when church is over we always gather around the church loby where my parents talk to their friends. At this time my brother, sister and I are so bored and just want to go for lunch. This leads to the next delema, where are we going to eat lunch. Its not that much trouble but still takes time and process is sometimes quite long. Then we have to meet up with my parents again. That is pretty much my Sunday morning and has been for sometime. I dont feel like editing this post, so sorry about any spelling mistakes and such. Why don't you now share your Sunday morning experience.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Well, my dad has yet to leave his sermons home (their always in his brief case), but last Sunday night (I know, I know, I'm a little late in the day), he forgot his tie! It was so funny.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

The best one I have was when I was 17........I was staying with the pastor's family for a couple weeks while my mom was outta town........this was in Oct when the clocks went back.........

The pastor and his wife set all the clocks back, then went to bed..........leaving us sweet innocent teenagers (all 13 of us since they had a lot of foster / adopted kids plus me and two other kids from church) alone.........

I think (don't remember for sure) it started out accidently, but we set the clocks back again..........if I'm remembering right we did a couple and one of the pastor's kids said their parents had already set the clocks back.........before we could set them right we began talking about how "cute" it would be to go ahead and set them back again anyway so the clocks would be an hour earlier than the real time in the morning..........and once we were talking, wheels started turning.

Anyway Sunday morning came and at 8:55 (real time) the pastor was still in his pajamas thinking it was only 7:55 and he had "plenty of time" to make it to church...........unfortunatley we missed ONE lousy clock.......the pastor's wife's wrist watch which had the correct time on it.........so she informed him we had to be walking out the door in 5 mins.

He retold the story about how we got so excieted about Fall back that we did it twice..........and while he was sharing, he was glaring at the group of us teenagers.

There were no hard feelings, but it was rather caotic trying to get to church that week.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Or this time last year when I forgot to set my time ahead and woke up an hour late.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Oh yeesh, we have so many. ](*,)

The one I remember best, was when we left my little brother at home on accident.

See, the church that we had been attending at the time, was being held in a YMCA gym, and each week, the men of the church would have to set up, and tear down, chairs. So that day, we took two cars, because my mom didn't like to stay and wait for my dad while he cleaned up the chairs. So we'd leave after the service, to go get seats at a nearby restaraunt. Anyway, we also don't like to go too early. So anyway! Sometimes, my little brother prefered to go with my dad, and stuff, since he's a guy and it's not cool to go to church with your mom. OR so he said. :-k

Anyway, after leaving, my mom just figured that Brennan (my brother) had gone with my dad to church, and so we left. She called my dad to make sure brennan was with him, only to find that he didn't have him. By this time, we hadn't gotten too far, but still far enough, that it was going to make us late to turn back. So then, we turned around, and went back to the house. Only to find brennan bawling his eyes out on the front steps. #-o It turns out, he had been upstairs brushing his teeth (like a good boy ;)), and none of us had known, since he had the door closed.

I hope you guys understood that... I'm a horrible story teller. 8-[

I'm sure we've had better, but I've tried to block it out.

Heh,

Sarah
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Sarah wrote:Oh yeesh, we have so many. ](*,)

The one I remember best, was when we left my little brother at home on accident.

See, the church that we had been attending at the time, was being held in a YMCA gym, and each week, the men of the church would have to set up, and tear down, chairs. So that day, we took two cars, because my mom didn't like to stay and wait for my dad while he cleaned up the chairs. So we'd leave after the service, to go get seats at a nearby restaraunt. Anyway, we also don't like to go too early. So anyway! Sometimes, my little brother prefered to go with my dad, and stuff, since he's a guy and it's not cool to go to church with your mom. OR so he said. :-k

Anyway, after leaving, my mom just figured that Brennan (my brother) had gone with my dad to church, and so we left. She called my dad to make sure brennan was with him, only to find that he didn't have him. By this time, we hadn't gotten too far, but still far enough, that it was going to make us late to turn back. So then, we turned around, and went back to the house. Only to find brennan bawling his eyes out on the front steps. #-o It turns out, he had been upstairs brushing his teeth (like a good boy ;)), and none of us had known, since he had the door closed.

I hope you guys understood that... I'm a horrible story teller. 8-[

I'm sure we've had better, but I've tried to block it out.

Heh,

Sarah
Poor kid......he must have been devastated to find out you and your mom left him behind.

I've been left behind before.........but at church........my mom is one who loves to talk to ppl after church and seems to make it her ambition to talk to EVERYONE who was there that week........so as a kid I could (and did) get bored and would go off to play figuring mom would come find me eventually...........one week she didn't see me with the group of kids playing so she figured I had just been taken to a friends house...........but I had been playing hide and seek (guess who was hiding :D ).........she made it home before anyone realized that I was still at the church and she was gone. Fortunately we didn't live too far away and I got a ride home.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ha, you guys certainly have some interesting tales. :D
StupendousMan wrote:Or this time last year when I forgot to set my time ahead and woke up an hour late.
I can't remember us every being an hour late for church (due to the Daylight Savings time shift). Come to think of it, I don't think we've ever been an hour early for church, either. :-k

There have been several occassions where we've forgotten something at home and then had to retrace our tracks and retrieve the forgotten item(s). Once when my dad was guest speaking at our church, we forgot the PowerPoint slides that accompanied the slides. We didn't remember until we were almost at church. ](*,) And it takes us 22 minutes to get to church. #-o
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!