Flash drives

... aka thumb drives!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you use flash drives?

Yes! 3+
40%
Yes. 1-2
52%
No, but it sounds like a good idea...
No votes
Not at all.
8%

Total votes: 25

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Flash drives

Post by KODY 105 »

Do you own and use any flash drives? A flash drive (aka flash memory) is a little "memory stick" that uses the USB interface for data storage. Some people call them "jumpdrives" or "thumbdrives."

How many do you have? How do you compare them to CDRs or DVDRs? Do any of you remember floppy disks?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I have 3. A 1 GB, 4 GB and a 8 GB. I remember floppy disks.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I don't really like them anymore since my old one crashed and lost all my stuff. :( I currently have one, but I just use it as a back up in case my laptop crashes.
The good ol' ToO.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

That's pretty much why I have one^^ :yes:

I have a 4 Gig. Should prolly get one more although this one still has 300 MB left.. :-k

*raises hand* I remember floppy disks! \:D/ It was only last year I realized I hadn't heard of one for so long they prolly werent in use any more.. :-
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

I have 100's of floppy disks. :shock: It's too bad I can't use them any more.
The good ol' ToO.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I have one, but I'm always losing it. O:)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Flash Drives:
32 MB
1 GB
2 GB
Floppy Disks:
I love floppy disks. We bought a dell computer, I didn't have a floppy drive, so I pulled one from an old machine andput it in. I still have a box of floppy disks in the desk. However, I needed more storage space, and didn't have a spot to mount another hardrive, so I had to take out the floppy drive.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I miss floppy discs. :( When I got my laptop about 5 years ago I was quite distraught about the lack of a floppy drive, but my brother talked me into buying a flash drive. I have a couple flash drives that I use for regular stuff, moving files here or there, and one bigger one that I have a lot of my files backed up on. They are really great! They're small and practical, and really not expensive at all, since they keep getting better and cheaper.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I still use floppy disks most of the time. (Yey floppy disks \:D/ )

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8 GB. It only has 522 MB used on it. :-
If I really wanted to, I could free up 3.79 GB from the hard drive and put my user folder on my drive... (my user folder contains 23,760 files and 1,371 folders :anxious: )
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Mel
Smile for the camera

Post by Mel »

Fang wrote: *raises hand* I remember floppy disks! \:D/ It was only last year I realized I hadn't heard of one for so long they prolly werent in use any more.. :-
I actually have to use them at work occasionally. Not for backup, though; just to transfer files from one computer to another, since the one computer with internet isn't connected to the network.

I've got one flash drive, 4 GB. Though I usually call it the USB stick or the Kingston. :tongue2: And I just realized that the stuff I have on it hardly takes up any space at all. o.0
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I have one somewhere around here...it never gets used...ever.

I transfer most files over the internet or a network.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

I own no jump drives, and it's been a long time since I've used a floppy or a zip disk. Instead, I'm all about the external hard drive. 16 gigs of memory, I have all of my music, video and image files stored on it.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:I own no jump drives, and it's been a long time since I've used a floppy or a zip disk. Instead, I'm all about the external hard drive. 16 gigs of memory, I have all of my music, video and image files stored on it.

-Kim
Niiice. :D How big is it?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

KODY 105 wrote:Do you own and use any flash drives? A flash drive (aka flash memory) is a little "memory stick" that uses the USB interface for data storage. Some people call them "jumpdrives" or "thumbdrives."

How many do you have? How do you compare them to CDRs or DVDRs? Do any of you remember floppy disks?
I have a really big hard drive that holds tons of stuff. I have a few flash drives that I use to transfer music and smaller documents. I think they're easier than CDR's for transferring music, and more reusable since my discs you can't overwrite.
I remember floppy discs. I had one when I was little and saved my Crayola Art files on it. That was when I was 5 probably.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I have a few, but I also use SD cards and a card reader. I actually had this really cool SD card that folded in half and plugged into the USB port itself, but I lost it sometime over Christmas break.

I really just need a huge external hard drive. I'm pretty much out of space on my computer, and even my 8gb SD card is pretty much full.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Fang wrote:
Ingress Neverwhere wrote:I own no jump drives, and it's been a long time since I've used a floppy or a zip disk. Instead, I'm all about the external hard drive. 16 gigs of memory, I have all of my music, video and image files stored on it.

-Kim
Let's see. Without pulling out my tape measure, it's about five inches long, two and a half inches across and an inch thick. But then again I am totally bad at measuring things by eye only, so my measurements could be just a tad off. But it's small enough to be portable, and fits easily into my purse. Definitely one of the best investments I've made.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
Fang wrote:

-Kim
Let's see. Without pulling out my tape measure, it's about five inches long, two and a half inches across and an inch thick. But then again I am totally bad at measuring things by eye only, so my measurements could be just a tad off. But it's small enough to be portable, and fits easily into my purse. Definitely one of the best investments I've made.

-Kim
Nice. :D I'd get one, but unfortunately I seem to lack a purse.. :-
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I have three... 1 GB, and the other two are 2GB. I don't use them often cause half the computers I use won't let me plug the darn things in... and then I have internet to pass everything between comps.
USB's can transfer viruses and such to other comps easily just by a file and such. I don't use them very often unless really needed...

EDIT:

I totally remember floppy disks. My sister used them to transfer stuff when she was back in her Freshman and Sophomore years of HS way back about... oh, 7 or 8 years ago. Not too long into the newest Millenium here....
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I didn't learn about jump drives until I got my second PC. It came with a jump drive and I didn't really realize what it was until someone asked if they could borrow one. It's so funny because when I started attending University of Colorado we had to save all our finished projects to floppy discs, which I hated. Then when I transferred to Pikes Peak Community College it was all about having a jump drive and saving final projects to CDs. That worked out much better for me.

I recently bought an external hard drive of course silly me I have no idea how much space is on there. I also have another external hard drive, which feels like an antique now because it takes up a lot of space and clutters up my desk. And finally I have a small thumb drive that has about 1 GB on it. I use this primarily for going back and forth between computers and editing files. Does anyone know the term "sneakernet"?

Anyways, now I can't imagine living my life without my external hard drives and thumb drives. I save all of my work from my graphic design work on both my external hard drives. When I get a career in graphic design I will probably only leave my graphic design work on the "clunker".