Northern lights!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Northern lights!

Post by bookworm »

There has been a historically intense solar storm hitting earth today which will continue through the weekend, bringing potential visibility of the northern lights to more locations than ever tonight into tomorrow morning - be sure to take a look if you're in range!

Aurora Viewline Forecast

Follow scientific updates on what is going on from the Space Weather Prediction Center
See detailed information about the current conditions at Space Weather Live

Posting the original NOAA notice below for the information, but today's activity has actually exceeded predictions and reached G5 force!

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Craziness! I was hearing about this on the radio today. There was a suggestion to take pictures because the phone on your camera may capture more colours than you would see with just your eye or something like that - I didn't quite hear the whole thing, so your mileage may vary. ;) If anyone gets good pictures, I'd love to see them!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:28 pmThere was a suggestion to take pictures because the phone on your camera may capture more colours than you would see with just your eye
My friends around the country have been saying they found that to be true, so definitely try it. For me it was the opposite though actually. I could see them in person but they didn't show up on camera barely at all. Probably because they were pretty muted where I was - but it was still amazing! We've never been able to ever see them here!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:16 am
Catspaw wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:28 pmThere was a suggestion to take pictures because the phone on your camera may capture more colours than you would see with just your eye
My friends around the country have been saying they found that to be true, so definitely try it. For me it was the opposite though actually. I could see them in person but they didn't show up on camera barely at all. Probably because they were pretty muted where I was - but it was still amazing! We've never been able to ever see them here!
Good to hear that was working for some people! It's neat. I didn't see it in person. I've been enjoying lots of beautiful photos online!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

A new G5 watch was issued for tomorrow so there may be more chances to see them!