DVDs and DVD players

Region codes and such

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

DVDs and DVD players

Post by Evil Chick »

I have a situation (it's not really a problem...yet), and I was wondering, if someone here could help me.

See, since I live in Germany, the DVDs here have a different region code (region 2, instead of region 1 as in the States and Canda). Well, when I bought my DVD player, I bought one that is multi-regional, it's supposed to play both regions. But, when I tried to play one of the DVDs I bought in the States, it said that it was the wrong region. I don't understand what's up with that. My LCD and AIO DVDs all play with no problem, as well as another DVD I bought (although it says all regions). So, I was wondering whether it is possible to change the regions on DVD player or on the DVD itsself. If any of you know anything about this, I'd be really thankful for any help!
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I ll tell you this you cant change the region on the dvd itself. You said that you play dvd's from North America on your dvd player so i m sure it works. And you are having problems with one DVD, thats strange. From what you told me it suggests that the dvd player works but for that one case it doesnt, it sounds strange to me but you might want to try configuring your dvd player through its menu, if that doesnt work I suggest you exchange yours.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Ok, well, like I said, the one DVD that works says "all regions". The other DVDs that work are from FotF, and they don't say anything about region codes. I tried to change the region on my DVD menu, but it didn't work. I can always watch that DVD on my computer...
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

Sorry that I cant be much assistance to you. Good luck and maybe try ripping the DVD off your computer and reburning it. That will probably do the trick, but again its time consuming and a wates of a DVD since you already have it.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Ok. That sounds like a good idea. I just might try that. Thanks!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

It will definitely do the trick.

1. Download DVDShrink
2. Use DVD shrink to rip the DVD
3. Be sure to specify to remove region codes
4. Compress and reburn (DVD Shrink can do this automatically if you have Nero installed).

If you attempt to play the origional on a computer, it may give you the option of changing the region code of the player. However, this is a limited time thing. I have never seen one that lets you change the codes more than 5 times. There are hacks which will let you get around this, but they may wreck your hardware, and will certainly void your warranty.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Ah! That sounds like superb advice! Thanks a lot, Me! I will try that!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

No problem.

Just be aware that in this process you may loose some quality. DVD shrink is one of the highest quality compressors I have ever seen, but as most commercial movies come on a DVD9, and you will likely be burning a DVD5, a gb or so will have to be removed through compression. It is a lot easier to retain quality if you remove un-needed extras like 5.1 surround tracks if you don't have a surround setup, or subtitles, commentary, bonus features, etc.