What languages do you know and want to learn?

Share up!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I know English, and some extent of Engrish. ;)
I'd also like to learn Yiddish, and I'm currently studying french.
Others on my list are Austrian, Irish, and Socttish.
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I know:
Pascal
Java
C (kinda)
C ++ (i think i do at least)
English

Languages that I want to know include:
Fortran
Chineese
Prologic
German
Hazkell
SML
Russian
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I speak English (duh!) and am halfway competent at reading Spanish. I don't usually attempt to speak it. So that's a language that I want to finish learning.
I don't think Pig Latin counts as a language....
It would be handy to know all languages but the one that would currently be most useful to me is Korean. :-k
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I absolutely love spanish!!! I have been learning it for several years and want to be somewhat fluent someday. I think it would also be neat to learn some CHINESE becaus i have some chinese friends and it would be a challenge.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

For those who'd want to learn Chinese (Fenix and pOwerbOy), which dialect which you learn? Mandarin? Cantonese? Or some obscure village dialect? :-k
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I don't want to learn Chinese, but I didn't even know there was different types of Chinese. They say Chinese is the hardest language to learn, then comes English!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

What makes Chinese so difficult to learn is that they don't have an alphabet. Thus, its writing is not related to phonetics. Then you have the different tones. I could be saying something with the inproper tone . . . and people will completely misinterpret what I'm trying to say. :-s
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Yeah, the same goes with Japanese. It's just one word, but depending on what "syllable" you stress, you could either be joking, being friendly, sound surprised, or completely offend someone.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Pig Latin

ode ouye etge hatwe I'me ayingse?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Flyah wrote:Pig Latin

ode ouye etge hatwe I'me ayingse?
Excellent, Flyah. :D

esye Ie ode, nie actfe!
Elf wrote:Yeah, the same goes with Japanese. It's just one word, but depending on what "syllable" you stress, you could either be joking, being friendly, sound surprised, or completely offend someone.
Gotta be real careful how you go about speaking . . . I guess it's no less different than if I were to say "what a wonderful day" with a cheerful or sarcastic attitidue. But when learning Chinese or Japense, one needs to be concerned with the stresses on every word. ](*,)
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

Trent DeWhite wrote:What makes Chinese so difficult to learn is that they don't have an alphabet. Thus, its writing is not related to phonetics. Then you have the different tones. I could be saying something with the inproper tone . . . and people will completely misinterpret what I'm trying to say. :-s

I think this is right....anyway they speak on main language everyone can understand ( Manderanin) and eveyone has their own little dielect. like People in Hong Kong do not talk like people in Shanghi and so on...kinda like people saying howdy as aposed to hello or how do you do...
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I can speak reasonably fluent Chinese (Mandarin, w/Beijing accent... and a small southerner accent too... o_o), English, HTML and Inform (...Text adventure programming language.)
I can speak small bits of Java, CSS, Javascript, and Japanese... though it's probably classified as fangirlian.
And I wish to learn Java, Japanese, Quenya and Sindarin.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

AndreaMeltsner wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:What makes Chinese so difficult to learn is that they don't have an alphabet. Thus, its writing is not related to phonetics. Then you have the different tones. I could be saying something with the inproper tone . . . and people will completely misinterpret what I'm trying to say. :-s

I think this is right....anyway they speak on main language everyone can understand ( Manderanin) and eveyone has their own little dielect. like People in Hong Kong do not talk like people in Shanghi and so on...kinda like people saying howdy as aposed to hello or how do you do...
Right.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I speak both English and German fluently. I had 4 years of Latin, but I don't speak it. ;) I know a little bit of Russian, since we have a lot of Russian-German friends. And I would love to learn Italian! I have a good friend who is Italian, and it sounds so cool! I do NOT want to learn Spanish! [-(
Padme Solo
Gold Member

Post by Padme Solo »

I know:

English
Latin
---

I'm learning:
Spanish
German
Elvish
---------

I would like to learn:
Arabic
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Good thing several of you are learning Elvish. That way you'll have someone to talk to. :lol:
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Sonuna Hydris wrote:I can speak reasonably fluent Chinese (Mandarin, w/Beijing accent... and a small southerner accent too... o_o), English, HTML and Inform (...Text adventure programming language.)
I can speak small bits of Java, CSS, Javascript, and Japanese... though it's probably classified as fangirlian.
And I wish to learn Java, Japanese, Quenya and Sindarin.
lol. fangirlian.

Fenix, your post made my day. I speak GW BASIC.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:Yeah, the same goes with Japanese. It's just one word, but depending on what "syllable" you stress, you could either be joking, being friendly, sound surprised, or completely offend someone.
Not to mention they have three alphabets.

-Jonathan
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

English
Used to know Spanish, but have forgotten most of it.
Pig-Latin :D

Want to re-learn Spanish
Sign language
Gaelic
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Speak English
some German
a few spanish phrases

want to learn
more german