Crushes, BF and GF, and more!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I have always knowen that there was only one man for me and that is Mr. Listerine!

He looks so cute on the TV!

And remember kids brush twice a day a then use me.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Alas... I had always assumed Christians in my age bracket were wiser than that, but I am seeing more and more how EB's assessment is very accurate, even amongst Christians. A solid foundation, spiritual and otherwise, that does not produce. :(

However, I really like this dourting concept... ;)
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Dr. Watson wrote:A matter of personal curiousity: what do you think the difference between secular dating and non-secular (Christian?) dating?
You didn't answer my question. :)

As for answering your question: Firstly, the Lord should be sought in such a decision to take interest in someone for a spouse. Before any major decisions are made: prayer. Christians shouldn't date just to be dating. I realize some people date just to date, but I've also known some who aren't wordly like that, and do it the right way. :)

That's the beginning, at least.

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:"Wow. You're hot. You must be a girl."

"Gee. You're cute. You must be a boy."

"Let's date."

"Ok!"

"I'm totally crushing!"
You honestly believe that dating is like that? I can't quite agree that such an exampe is accurate in all Christian circles. There are some who truly seek the Lord, and I hate seeing them put into the generalization of just "Babe-seekers."
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

yeah I hate the word "hot" its sounds so degrating. if I ever state on a girls apearence I would say their preatty or somthing.
Image [img]
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I think he was stating that too many people act like that. Unfortunately, I agree that this perception is true and too many people get caught up in hormones and simply become "babe seekers". I think that some certain people on this board are a good example.....
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

The Top Crusader wrote: Unfortunately, I agree that this perception is true and too many people get caught up in hormones and simply become "babe seekers". I think that some certain people on this board are a good example.....
I won't name names.

Brian. :-
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

lol....I wasn't even talking about him!!!!

I was actually referring to some of the younger crowd that was like "oh..you're a cute boy!" " Oh..your a cute girl!"...we are close to the same age! Lets be BF/GF even though we hardly know eachother and have simply met online like 3 weeks ago!!! \:D/

Cuz 3 weeks is an ETERNITY!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Jessicado on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

It's interesting how CA only drops in for the "dating" sorts of topics....hmmmm....
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

The Top Crusader wrote:lol....I wasn't even talking about him!!!!

I was actually referring to some of the younger crowd that was like "oh..you're a cute boy!" " Oh..your a cute girl!"...we are close to the same age! Lets be BF/GF even though we hardly know eachother and have simply met online like 3 weeks ago!!! \:D/

Cuz 3 weeks is an ETERNITY!!!!!!!!
yeah talk about it jess! I mean its anough to make anyone shake their head and sigh.
Image [img]
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Continental Admiral wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:A matter of personal curiousity: what do you think the difference between secular dating and non-secular (Christian?) dating?

As for answering your question: Firstly, the Lord should be sought in such a decision to take interest in someone for a spouse. Before any major decisions are made: prayer. Christians shouldn't date just to be dating. I realize some people date just to date, but I've also known some who aren't wordly like that, and do it the right way. :)

If Christians truely seek the Lord, pray to Him for guidance and the Holy Spirit's wisdom, than they will soon realize that dating won't fit! Dating as we know it (and so characteristically represented by EB's lines), hinders a person's ability to trust God. What is the whole purpose of dating, anyway? A: Developing a personal relationship with someone of the opposite sex. I think this should send up warning flags. Once a person has "fallen in love" with someone (and it doesn't take much to do that, people!), it his very hard to think rationally. I've seen it many times, even with people who are very close to me.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Frank wrote:It's interesting how CA only drops in for the "dating" sorts of topics....hmmmm....
I do? I droppped in for the dinner topics, too, don't forget!!!!

{Edit} Dr. Watson: Are you saying that God disapproves of all dating?

I'd still like my question answered from above...
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Frank wrote:It's interesting how CA only drops in for the "dating" sorts of topics....hmmmm....
Ah...an elephant never forgets. :D

Dating...wait till you're ready for marriage...there's my opinion. If you don't agree, then search the Scriptures and let the peace of God which transcends understanding to guide your heards and your minds in Christ Jesus...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Dr. Watson wrote:

If Christians truely seek the Lord, pray to Him for guidance and the Holy Spirit's wisdom, than they will soon realize that dating won't fit! Dating as we know it (and so characteristically represented by EB's lines), hinders a person's ability to trust God. What is the whole purpose of dating, anyway? A: Developing a personal relationship with someone of the opposite sex. I think this should send up warning flags. Once a person has "fallen in love" with someone (and it doesn't take much to do that, people!), it his very hard to think rationally. I've seen it many times, even with people who are very close to me.
Ah, I have seen the same thing, and it is indeed sad. But I don't think the blame can be put on dating, it's just how it's gone about, and mainly, how the person seeks the Lord in this decision.

Plus, while certainly dating is done in part to get to know the person better... someone going about it the right way is going to know the person... or at least know about them... a decent amount to begin with... such as if they are a Christian, or if they live a Christian lifestyle, and if they are at least a different person. Dating shouldn't commence without knowing things are good to go there. Then the smaller facets of personalities get to be known better through the daying process...

EDIT to get Frank's comment in here, too...
Frank wrote: Dating...wait till you're ready for marriage...there's my opinion. If you don't agree, then search the Scriptures and let the peace of God which transcends understanding to guide your heards and your minds in Christ Jesus...
Very true--and it more clarifies a point I wanted to make but didn't clearly. While you may not know FOR SURE when you first date a person, what I was saying earlier in my post was basically you shouldn't date anyone to begin with that you don't think you could marry. Not that you have to marry the first person you date, but basically this nixes "dating for fun."

And now that I have made some serious posts that show I actually contain some measure of thought, I shall go purge myself in the Goof Club...
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

You mean the one about your parent's marriage? :-k

A) I've never met you nor your parents to get a complete picture.

B) Though your parents may have a happy marriage, this does not imply that dating is right or desirable. I still think the method of dating tends to degrade marriage by having the "BF" and "GF" play around with one another. "Does he like me?" "Does she like me?" All this second-guessing, inappropriate frivolity when dealing with those of the opposite sex, and general non-commitment to a dating partner makes me *extremely* wary of the method.

And as an open question to everyone: what do you find undesireable about courtship?
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Well, I've noticed in my school that the guys who are dating seem more "cool" and self assured about themselves, very confident and with the "in" crowd. But once they break up they're nearly complete losers with no sense of direction! \:D/
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Dr. Watson wrote:

You mean the one about your parent's marriage? :-k

A) I've never met you nor your parents to get a complete picture.

B) Though your parents may have a happy marriage, this does not imply that dating is right or desirable. I still think the method of dating tends to degrade marriage by having the "BF" and "GF" play around with one another. "Does he like me?" "Does she like me?" All this second-guessing, inappropriate frivolity when dealing with those of the opposite sex, and general non-commitment to a dating partner makes me *extremely* wary of the method.

And as an open question to everyone: what do you find undesireable about courtship?
ARG!! I AM BACK! :mad:

I hate being serious. :(

Anyway, see, I don't think dating has to be the way you describe it. It doesn't have to be all playing around and liking who and such. Ideally they should go in with more sincerity than that.

Honestly, I don't know a great deal about courtship. I tried to read hawkeye's posts about it on the TH before but they are too long to hold my attention. :( One tiny thing I would pick out that I don't like is I always here that the couple is never allowed to be together without members of the family present. To me, that would make it really hard to get to know a person, because that would make me, an already semi-shy all the more nerve-wracked and make it hard for me to get to know this prospective female better. Also... I am an old man!! :x! I'm 23 and hopefully dating people somewhat within my age bracket... it is not so easy to always have family around at this stage in our lives, and it seems somewhat unnecessary. And I say all this, not that I wouldn't want to get to know the other family, but I want some one-on-one time to really have deep conversations and stuff in.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Ok, I am gonna say one thing about the.......recent blow ups among the members, and then I won't say anything else.

Everyone, this thread was first intended to tell everyone that AM and myself were an item. Then, it turned into a 'this is what I beleive' thread. Which was perfectly fine. In fact, I enjoy such threads. But then, some people went a little over board. What you beleive is fine, but your opinion is just that; your opinion. Just because you don't think that dating is right, doesn't mean that it is the gospel truth. Just like since I think that dating is ok doesn't make it right for everyone. I care alot about AM, and just because we like each other alot, and we're an item here online, doesn't mean we're gonna run off together to Vegas and get married. So here is my advice.

Let's all agree to disagree. We can state our opinions, but let us remember that they are only our opinions. And let's try to be more considerate of other feelings and opions.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Dr. Watson wrote:A) I've never met you nor your parents to get a complete picture.
I'll give you my address! ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:B) Though your parents may have a happy marriage, this does not imply that dating is right or desirable.

Of course it doesn't. But it doesn't mean that every dating case is going to turn up in divorce court. And it doesn't mean courting is wrong, either. I just happen to believe dating is fine, as is courting, as long as someone doesn't prescribe that God demands we court.
Dr. Watson wrote:I still think the method of dating tends to degrade marriage by having the "BF" and "GF" play around with one another. "Does he like me?" "Does she like me?"
As Brian said, dating doesn't have to be like the above. It doesn't have to include playing around with one another. It can be very godly in manner, and it doesn't have to be all about sex or anything of the sort. I like what Frank said, "Wait until you're ready for marriage." She put it precisely. :)

As for courtship: I like the idea of families\parents being involved and obviously whenever seeking a relationship that will\could eventually lead to marriage, the family should be involved, but since marriage is such a big, serious commitment, I think the two people considering marriage should be allowed one-on-one time, to get to know each other, without the stresses of the family around. The parents aren't the ones getting married. They aren't the ones who spend the rest of their days and nights with this person. ;)
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

So... uh, in the interest of the topic... did anyone listen to the mp3 I posted? :-
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've listened to the first ten minutes! \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!