Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Booo, I didn't want the Caps to win. :x And I was listening to the game on the radio...it was an annoying Washington announcer who was practically screaming when they scored. :roll:

And GO RANGERS! O:)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:Ouch. :( Not a good OT for you tonight. ;)
Fortunately I didn’t see it. But yeah, this stinks. Neither of my teams could advance. Now I have no real interest in the rest of the playoffs until I chose a team in the finals.
In the meantime I suppose I’ll be rooting for Philadelphia. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from them so far.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Under five minutes to the draft. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m watching it online! \:D/

-- 26 Apr 2012 04:07 pm --

Andrew Luck goes to the Colts.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:Andrew Luck goes to the Colts.
:shock: Who would have guessed?

EDIT: Interesting pick by the Bears. This could be really good but I was hoping for Chandler or Mercilus.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote: And GO RANGERS! O:)
:x

:mope: Congratulations, Laura. There are no good teams left to cheer for! :sniff: I'll have to develop temporary allegiances just to keep things interesting for the rest of the playoffs. If I watch the Mr. Big "Be big deal like me" Ovechkin commercials a few more times, I could probably cheer for the Capitals. I'm not really an Ovie fan, but watching any video with him in it makes him likeable...or at least laughable. ;) I suppose I could also cheer for the Coyotes, given their checkered history and shaky future. Their fans deserve some happiness after what they've gone through and continue to go through.

I'll just ignore the football stuff above my post. ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Nooooooo, don't cheer for the Capitals! :x I can't stand Ovechkin. :noway: I hate the way he always has that black pad thing sticking up over his jersey in back. *shudder* Which is not the only reason I don't like him, but still. ;)

I'm cheering for the Rangers and Flyers. :yes: Maybe the Kings too, since we had Jonathan Quick and Mike Richards.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Catspaw wrote:I suppose I could also cheer for the Coyotes, given their checkered history and shaky future. Their fans deserve some happiness after what they've gone through and continue to go through.
Yes, I approve this message. :yes: ;)

Jeremy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Nooooooo, don't cheer for the Capitals! :x I can't stand Ovechkin. :noway: I hate the way he always has that black pad thing sticking up over his jersey in back. *shudder* Which is not the only reason I don't like him, but still. ;)

I'm cheering for the Rangers and Flyers. :yes: Maybe the Kings too, since we had Jonathan Quick and Mike Richards.
Like I said, I'm not a big Ovie fan, but I find it hard to dislike him. ;) This commerial makes me laugh every time. "I get your pigskin." How can you hate such absurdity?

I'm unhappy with the Rangers for beating Ottawa and the Kings for beating the Canucks, which has put Jonathan Quick on my "strong dislike - too good" list. ;) I'm okay with the Flyers, I guess...I just don't particularly like them. Once I start watching round 2, then I might develop some attachments. They'll be termporary, but it's more fun to watch when you're actually rooting for one team!

Jeremy, I'm glad that somebody is happy! ;) I really do feel bad for Coyotes fans. They have had lousy/non-existent ownership and a crazy Glenborough council who keeps life interesting [read: miserable] ;) for anybody interested in buying the team. It's a non-stop roller coaster of craziness. So the least the fans deserve is to cheer loudly through a few more playoff games than usual!
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Catspaw wrote:Jeremy, I'm glad that somebody is happy! ;) I really do feel bad for Coyotes fans. They have had lousy/non-existent ownership and a crazy Glenborough council who keeps life interesting [read: miserable] ;) for anybody interested in buying the team. It's a non-stop roller coaster of craziness. So the least the fans deserve is to cheer loudly through a few more playoff games than usual!
I think you meant the Glendale city council. :- ;) It looks like they may finally be close to an agreement now to keep the team in Glendale. I wonder if the new owner will rename them, though, since they are no longer in Phoenix. ;)

Jeremy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jeremy wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Jeremy, I'm glad that somebody is happy! ;) I really do feel bad for Coyotes fans. They have had lousy/non-existent ownership and a crazy Glenborough council who keeps life interesting [read: miserable] ;) for anybody interested in buying the team. It's a non-stop roller coaster of craziness. So the least the fans deserve is to cheer loudly through a few more playoff games than usual!
I think you meant the Glendale city council. :- ;) It looks like they may finally be close to an agreement now to keep the team in Glendale. I wonder if the new owner will rename them, though, since they are no longer in Phoenix. ;)

Jeremy
Oops, my mistake. ;) I guess that makes me crazy too! I hope they find a long-term solution soon.

OT and a Philly win! I had a feeling they would win early in OT, since I know they've successfully done that in on regulation, and then with the first goal called off (that was definitely a kicking motion!) it was nice to see Philly win. I've decided to definitely cheer for Philly. In a note of random trivia, the Devils have 3 players whose last names start with Z. That has got to be some kind of record!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

D Rose... :mecry: He was going to have a great career. (And still might.) But this could change everything for him. He might not have that speed anymore. And that would be horrible. Because if anyone playing basketball loved to play. It is him. We win this for him.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Coyotes win to go up 2-0! \:D/
Robin of Locksley wrote:D Rose... :mecry: He was going to have a great career. (And still might.) But this could change everything for him. He might not have that speed anymore. And that would be horrible. Because if anyone playing basketball loved to play. It is him. We win this for him.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I like the Bulls, especially their coach (I always wanted the Suns to hire him!), and wanted them to do well. I don't see them going very far now, though. Rose is young enough that an ACL tear might not destroy his career, but only time will tell.

Jeremy
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I've decided to definitely cheer for Philly.
Yay \:D/
I was only able to see the first little bit of the game, so I saw them go down 1-0 and then had to leave. So I was a bit nervous. Glad they won though!
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I think Bulls can still win the championship. We still have the rest of the starters, something we rarely had in the regular season. We still have the best bench, defense and homefield advantage.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The NFL has banned Jonathan Vilma for the entire upcoming season!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78817 ... unty-roles

The punishment is incredibly harsh. >_> It certainly shows that the league is serious about this issue, and I doubt bounty-hunting will exist in football ever again.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

American Eagle wrote: The punishment is incredibly harsh. >_>
I fail to see how suspending a guy for any length of time, who paid other people for hurting players is harsh. :-s But, yes. Hopefully this is the end of it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Knight Fisher wrote:
American Eagle wrote: The punishment is incredibly harsh. >_>
I fail to see how suspending a guy for any length of time, who paid other people for hurting players is harsh. :-s But, yes. Hopefully this is the end of it.
I don't mean "harsh" in a bad way. Receiving a 50-year prison sentence for murder is harsh, but obviously it's deserved. For Vilma, he's losing an entire year of his life's work, which would be tremendously disappointing for him. However, I agree with you that is was deserved.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:It certainly shows that the league is serious about this issue
No, this once again shows that they are more concerned about making an ‘example’ than addressing the issue.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:
American Eagle wrote:It certainly shows that the league is serious about this issue
No, this once again shows that they are more concerned about making an ‘example’ than addressing the issue.
However, do you agree that this essentially ends all bounty hunting? If you're a player, and you see this severe punishment, wouldn't it keep you from even thinking about it?

In my opinion, and in this case only, making an 'example' of the proven offenders effectively deters future problems as well. If you disagree, what is your solution?