Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good sports weekend.
I watched the Packers remain undefeated on Thanksgiving, then I watched the Red Wings win on Black Friday in an exciting game that went down to a shootout, then I watched the Bayou Classic and Battle of the Bands on Saturday, and then Sunday football as usual.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

And Suh gets suspended two games.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Suh should give up on football and go into wrestling.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I wish suh wouldve gotten to fighting with roddy white or michael turner when they played the falcons a few weeks ago and he was talking trash to matt ryan...wouldve been on epic smackdown handed to him by atlanta.

anyway.....basketball is finally unlocked. who's ready for the heat vs mavs on christmas day?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

My heart just broke a little. :(

Michigan State played an incredible game, but and had a return-for-TD called back in the final two minutes because of roughing/running into the kicker. Also, an incredible catch on 3rd-and-8 was called back. I disagree with that call.

We were inches away from going to the Rose Bowl for the first time in my life. So close.

Anyway, hoping for MSU to hold onto its BCS ranking and sneak into the Sugar Bowl.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The C'mon Man Trophy has been taken from Suh. And given to the horrible call on the Chiefs Hail Mary. Look at the play Julius Peppers was blatantly held no call.

Ron is in. No. 10 is in the Hall of Fame. Why couldn't they have done it last year?

EDIT: I'm getting sick of how a lot of Packers fans are acting. Not all of them. But most. Win with honor. Not [blank Team] sucks.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I can't believe I did not mention this before...

Saturday the Cincinnati Bearcats became Co-Champions of the Big East. However no bowl game because WVU is ranked higher so they get the BCS bowl. And no matter what Notre Dame gets the minor bowl (another injustice of the College football system).
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The Bowl system is plain dumb. We want playoffs. Michigan going to the Sugarbowl I think.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What do you think about MLB issuing a dress code for the media? Can they even do that? I’ve never heard of such a thing.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:What do you think about MLB issuing a dress code for the media? Can they even do that? I’ve never heard of such a thing.
I personally do not see anything wrong with it. They are doing it for the right reason. And it doesn't effect the game so...
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

I'm sure you have all heard about Howard and Paul going to the Lakers?

First off, I don't think its going to happen because both the Hornets and Magic want Bynum. Most of all I truly hope it doesn't happen.

Bulls have contacted Caron Butler, Jason Richardson, and Jamaal Crawford. My thinking is we just need Bogens defense added to Korver's shooting and we are fine. Caron Butler is a small forward who is frequently injured (if we want to start a small forward at sg why not Brewer?) Jason Richardson is not a bad pick up but we would have two shooters Korver and Richardson because the Magic would want Bogens. Jamaal Crawford has the height to play great defense but doesn't (not good for a thibs team). I okay again with a great shooter starting as long as we have a defensive back-up which we wouldn't because the Hawks would want Bogens.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I definitely agree SWA. With a few improvements. And Luol Deng stepping up it will be a great year.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:
bookworm wrote:What do you think about MLB issuing a dress code for the media? Can they even do that? I’ve never heard of such a thing.
I personally do not see anything wrong with it. They are doing it for the right reason. And it doesn't effect the game so...
Yeah I understand the reason, but I meant how can they dictate the dress of people they don’t have authority over?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It's like saying no you can't come in swim suits to my Black Tie event.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, I guess so. :-k
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

*BREAKING NEWS*

NBA finally approve a Hornets-Clippers trade. Clippers receive Chris Paul and 2 future second round draft picks. Hornets receive Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Faruoq Aminu and a 2012 first round pick.

Well I'm still a Cincy fan even though Yancey Gates is a bone-head. He did punch the dude's lights out but someone else kicked him.

Bulls are signing Richard Hamilton tomorrow, signed Rose to a 5 year $94 million deal, signed our rookie, Jimmy Butler, lost Kurt Thomas to the Blazers, and Hamilton will replaced Bogens on the roster. Starting roster will be:
PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Richard Hamilton
SF -Luol Deng
PF - Carlos Boozer
C - Joakim Noah

Bench:
PG - C.J. Watson
SG - Kyle Korver
SF -Ronnie Brewer
PF - Taj Gibson
C - Omer Asik

Same bench, got a new/better starter but also lost a good reserve player in Kurt Thomas (but also the oldest player at age 39).

Side Note: Peyton Manning is throwing again according to Jim Caldwell (we have to be happy about something).
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So, can someone please explain why everyone is so impressed with Cam Newton?
He somehow got into the Pro Bowl (which I don’t understand because if you’re a rookie then by definition you aren’t a pro) and blew the game for the NFC. Just about every other throw was an interception, and the rest of the time he was getting sacked.
Coach McCarthy should have put a real QB back in after he threw the first interception, definitely after he threw the third. I don’t get it. You split the first half between your good quarterbacks, and then give the entire second half to the bad one?
During the season I had no opinion one way or the other on Newton, but now I do. I am not a fan.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:So, can someone please explain why everyone is so impressed with Cam Newton?
He somehow got into the Pro Bowl (which I don’t understand because if you’re a rookie then by definition you aren’t a pro) and blew the game for the NFC. Just about every other throw was an interception, and the rest of the time he was getting sacked.
Coach McCarthy should have put a real QB back in after he threw the first interception, definitely after he threw the third. I don’t get it. You split the first half between your good quarterbacks, and then give the entire second half to the bad one?
During the season I had no opinion one way or the other on Newton, but now I do. I am not a fan.
Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Alex Smith and Jay Cutler (when healthy) are all better quarterbacks than Newton. The NFC would've won the Pro Bowl is Stafford had been selected instead of Newton. Oh well.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:The NFC would've won the Pro Bowl is Stafford had been selected instead of Newton.
The NFC also would have won if Newton was pulled after proving he can’t play.
If they really thought he deserved it, fine give him a shot. But when it doesn’t work out don’t stick with him.

I was surprised Stafford wasn’t there.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I am watching Bulls vs Spurs. And when Derick went down clutching his knee all I was thinking was Jay. And if that would have happened twice in the same year, when they were both doing so good...