Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard that on the radio today! Well, if Michael Jordan could play baseball, why not Tim Tebow? ;) I heard a clip of him talking about working hard and getting advice from the coaches and such. I hope it works out for him.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Four years ago:
Joanne wrote:Went to a baseball game today. \:D/ It was awesome. I walked up to random vendors and insisted to know when Tim Tebow was playing. When they said he was a football player, I said, "but I thought he just got traded to the (my cities team)". It was hilarious to see their faces. \:D/
Someone can actually do this genuinely now.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, talk about seeing into the future! ;) And pretty amazing that you remembered to go looking for it, bookworm.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Actually I never saw that post back then. ;) I just noticed it while searching for the Tebow thread because I was originally going to post in there but decided this one was a better fit. I found it amusing that it actually related.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That's how you start a football season.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Exactly what I said!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The Cubs have clinched a playoff berth. \:D/

Whereas the AL East is insane right now. 4 teams within 4 games. The tiebreakers could get rather ridiculous.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Nico Rosberg wins pole for the Singapore GP (Sunday, 0800 hours, NBCSN).
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Targeting needs to go. In the small amount of college football I've watched so far this season I've already seen it flagged more than ever before, and not one of them has been clearly warranted. In fact the vast majority were questionable at best and for the most part terrible calls. Even the tv commentators have called out how absolutely ridiculous they were.

Penn State lost a player this weekend on the most minor contact possible, a shoulder pad barely touching a receiver's facemask. What's more he wasn't trying to even hit the guy, he was purely going for the ball. And what's more he didn't even cause the contact, the receiver ran himself into the shoulder! It was an open and shut pick up the flag after review. But no, somehow 'targeting' is confirmed and the player is ejected.

This comes after BYU in week two lost two players on back to back targeting flags on hits that both barely touched the helmet and both clearly weren't intentional. The penalty is supposed to be for forceful contact to the head. These barely grazed the facemasks. But both players were kicked out of the game, and their next game because this happened in the second half.

Meanwhile the previous week a Notre Dame player is nearly decapitated in the endzone by a lunging shoulder giving him a concussion which took him out of the rest of that game and kept him out of the next one, but that somehow wasn't flagged in real time, nor after the fact via the new rule that it can now be called after replay. This was textbook targeting. Intent to hit, an actual launch into the player, violent collision straight to the helmet. I don't know how the officials didn't see it when it happened, but that's okay, it was the quintessential scenario for using their good new rule. But no, the replay official somehow missed it to. No, it's impossible they missed it. They had to have seen it and decided it wasn't a penalty.

But clearly the BYU and Penn State ejections show that any minuscule contact to the general head area of any kind whatsoever warrants an ejection, since all three of those were upheld after review, so how on earth was nothing called on that other hit? There is no way you can say those were correctly flagged while also saying that one was legal. They're either all okay or they're all penalties. Get the officials' acts together or quit pretending you know what to flag and what to not. Clearly it's arbitrary.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

For the first time since 2005 the MLB has had a tie. That was weird.

Also the end of the Cardinals vs Reds game shows how badly the MLB missed the point of instant replay. It's supposed to get rid of these controversies but they keep messing it up.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

So Canada won the World Cup of Hockey on Tuesday, if anybody cares. \:D/ I watched - good times! It came down to some drama and last-minute scoring for Canada to win over Team Europe, who definitely put up more of a fight than some had anticipated. Team USA did about how I expected, which is to say they were 0-3 and most of the drama was related to Phil Kessel's tweet with a joke about not making the team. I laughed. Apparently not all the amazingly tough players who made the team instead of Kessel did.

The Olympics is still more fun overall, but this was a fun couple of weeks of hockey! The actual World Cup they hand out is kind of odd looking, but apparently the old trophy was much uglier, so I guess that's something. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had such an amazing experience yesterday! There's nothing like the unfolding of a sports sequence that you're extremely invested in going your team's way and taking you on a wave from nervousness to elation. If you know what I mean you'll get it.
The Giants are in a very tight race for a wild card spot, every game is extremely crucial. I checked the status of their game last night on my phone and saw they were down by one, but with two runners on and no outs. So I opened my sports app to follow the rest of the inning, hoping they could get at least one in to tie it up. I watched the pitch by pitch tracker tensely to see the next batter load the bases, then the next doubled to put them up by one! Then the pitcher of all people (though it's not actually that unexpected being Bumgarner) had an intense 15 pitch at bat which ended with another double putting them up three with still no outs yet! I was freaking out! That sequence was insane; and even more so not being able to see it, but having to wait for the app to update after each pitch to just read it unfold. But it wasn't over! They loaded the bases back up and then homered! From down by one to up by six! What an incredible swing, and how incredible that I happened to check the game at just the right moment to follow it playing out!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like fun! It's one thing to see scores, or even watch highlights, later, but it's so much more fun and involving when you can see things unfold in dramatic fashion! :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:For the first time since 2005 the MLB has had a tie. That was weird.
It was weird that it happened, not that it's been so long since the last one. It's virtually impossible for baseball to have ties except in unusual circumstances like that, so it is going to be extremely rare.

Yes that ending was unacceptable. (And I'm not just upset because it kept the Cardinals just one game behind the Giants instead of going down two. Fandom aside it's still infuriating.) This is exactly what replay is supposed to be for! It would be bad enough if some random game was botched like that, but for it to be a vitally pivotal game in a wild card race that could very possibly be decided by that mistake is inexcusable.

I couldn't watch any of the World Cup, but I was following it and was rooting Canada in the final sure Catspaw was watching. :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: I couldn't watch any of the World Cup, but I was following it and was rooting Canada in the final sure Catspaw was watching. :)
Yay! \:D/ Thanks for cheering along! I was definitely watching. :D

The NHL season starts soon! Woohoo!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I like how the new kickoff rule intended to reduce runbacks is having the exact opposite effect due to teams kicking the ball short to force more runbacks because while the longer touchback encourages the receivers to take it it discourages the kickers from giving up those extra yards.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

NBA Playoff Projections:

Playoff Seeding-Eastern Conference
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Charlotte
4. Atlanta
5. Milwaukee
6. Boston
7. Detroit
8. Indiana

Projected Seeding-Western Conference
1. Oakland
2. OKC
3. Clippers
4. San Antonio
5. Houston
6. Denver
7. Utah
8. Tossup (Lakers/Nuggets)
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Someone wake me up when it's the NFL draft.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It's the NHL's 100th anniversary this year, and they played a special Centennial Classic game outdoors yesterday in Toronto to help celebrate. \:D/ It was the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. the Detroit Red Wings, and it was a great game! The third period in particular saw lots of action and scoring, and a last second goal to send things to OT. Fun! Even more fun for me was that I was watching with my dad and my brother, and we did the guessing game where you predict which player will score the winning goal in OT....and I was right! Yay Auston Matthews. :D