Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A Broncos win could mess up the Bengals playoff seeding, but... it was really nice to see the Patriots lose finally. I have a feeling Manning won't be back with the Broncos next year (if he's back at all).

A good week for the Bengals, though... a dominant win after two close losses and their only threat in AFC North lost... unlikely the Steelers were going to battle back and win the division but a three game difference is a lot better than two. Hopefully next week against the Browns will be easy enough. But then we said that about the Texans, so...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Last night was one of the greatest football games I've ever seen! And it's not just because the Patriots finally lost; that put it over the edge for sure, but the game itself was extremely entertaining. It was a great defensive game, which I usually don't enjoy actually, I like to see scoring, but something about this one was really compelling to me, I really did like watching it. And it was a fun visual too; just the exact right amount of snow I like to see for football! :)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Is Stephen Curry having the best single season ever? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvvbghQNS3Y He's demolished his own 3 point record. Had 12 of them in one game tieing that record and is routinely hitting half court shots.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Giants in 2010 win the World Series, in 2011 miss the playoffs, in 2012 win the World Series, in 2013 miss the playoffs, in 2014 win the World Series, in 2015 miss the playoffs.

I'm excited to get this season underway! \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

In his past 11 regular season starts Jake Arrieta has 2 no hitters. His last loss was in July when the Cubs were no hit.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

How about the Trevor Story story?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

As much as we saw it coming, and really it was inevitable. Trading Derick Rose hurts. He made basketball fun.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Retired NASCAR superlegend Jeff M. Gordon could host "Live! with Kelly and (deleted)", say the rumors...
Last edited by Dredge on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Las Vegas just got an NHL team. It will be interesting to watch this play out; I've never witnessed a league expansion.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, the league expansion for 2017-2018 should be interesting! Some info is out already about teams being able to protect some players but the league is making sure that there should still be some decent players made available so that the new franchise will be viable. We'll see who ends up where when the dust all settles! This also unbalances things, since this makes 31 teams.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

NFL and CFL announce joint officiating development program

This is a terrible idea, right? NFL and CFL are entirely different sports; how is this supposed to increase officiating efficiency? The refs have enough trouble knowing the rules of the game already, filling their heads with entirely different rules will just add to the muddled mess.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, as a non-football fan but somebody who is aware that there are significant differences between the two leagues, this does seem odd. Either they know something I don't (entirely possible) ;) or it seemed like a better idea to somebody at the time than it will look like in the near future!

NHL draft time means we finally know the fate of the much-anticipated Auston Matthews - the Toronto Maple Leafs did select him first overall, as expected, but you just never know with these things! A kid from Arizona with an unusual path to the NHL going first overall is pretty cool! If any team deserves something good, it's the Leafs. ;) Patrick Laine from Finland went second to the Winnipeg Jets, which was also mostly expected.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Giants just became the first NL team to voluntarily forgo switching a DH for their pitcher, letting Bumgarner bat tonight. Pretty cool.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Crazy times in the NHL over the last couple of days, with lots of signings and a few big trades, like P.K. Subban (now formerly a Montreal Canadien who was known for great suits and a lot of charitable giving) going to Nashville for Shea Weber. Only time will tell, but I think Nashville got the better end of that one!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

All I know from the offseason is Detroit lost Datsyuk. :(
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

O.o

This has been a weird Cut weekend for the NFL. Feels really weird that the longest tenured Bear is now Jay Cutler.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's been a weird offseason overall. So many big name retirements. I said last year would be strange to watch because so many star players were on different teams after some crazy trading; this season will be strange to watch because so many star players aren't anywhere.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

I noticed this isn't being discussed here, which makes sense seeing how quickly the media buried it in the headlines, but the NBA decided to pull its All-Star game from Charlotte on the grounds that women should have their own leagues but not their own bathrooms, locker rooms, or private nudity areas.

Which raises the question: Are Antionette Bennet, Latrinda James, Stephanie Curry and Carrie Zeller prepared to hit WNBA hardwood as "women"? How many championships are the Fucia State Warriors going to win with Christina Bosh at the helm?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

SimplyDredge wrote:I noticed this isn't being discussed here, which makes sense seeing how quickly the media buried it in the headlines, but the NBA decided to pull its All-Star game from Charlotte on the grounds that women should have their own leagues but not their own bathrooms, locker rooms, or private nudity areas.

Which raises the question: Are Antionette Bennet, Latrinda James, Stephanie Curry and Carrie Zeller prepared to hit WNBA hardwood as "women"? How many championships are the Fucia State Warriors going to win with Christina Bosh at the helm?
The hell?

Firstly your entire first half is just plain wrong. Secondly this is one of the few stances I've actually agreed with the corrupt organization called the NBA has done of late. HB2 is the poster child for the cesspool that is my great state of North Carolina's politics.