Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The NHL will not participate in the 2018 Olympics. Which really rather sucks.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Really sucks. Wish I could give Bettman Jail.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, I'm still hoping that they'll change their mind. This is totally on the league and not the players - the NHLPA has made it clear that players are interested in going and the NHL is one of those leagues that regularly does stupid stuff and claims it's what everybody wants anyway, like when Gary Bettman defends teams not providing useful info by saying nobody wants that info anyway. Um, really? What about all the people saying that they do want it? I love hockey, but the NHL has made some very poor decisions over the years, and if this stands, skipping the 2018 Olympics will be one of them. I get that it's inconvenient, but it is workable.

EDIT: Haha, Barry posted while I was typing. Yes, if only Bmuntz ruled the world, the NHL would be a better place...because of jail! :x But then who would NHL fans boo as the Stanley Cup is handed out? :-k
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Baseball is back and weird as ever. https://twitter.com/RT_Ohio/status/849455395773001730

Fortunately he's doing okay and would have been able to play today if it hadn't been rained out. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Why does the NBA not have Sudden Death OT? Why is the draft order not set by team record from 2-30? Just curious.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Dredge wrote:Why does the NBA not have Sudden Death OT?
Because the team that won the OT tipoff would win 100% of the time. Take it straight to the hoop, no one would dare touch you and give you the game winning foul shots so you can dunk it and be sure to win the way. Sports that have sudden death have it because scoring is hard to achieve, which is not the case in basketball.
Dredge wrote:Why is the draft order not set by team record from 2-30?
To discourage teams from intentionally tanking when they have no chance at the playoffs in order to draft better. If the picks were directly awarded to the bottom teams they would lose on purpose to get the first one. With the lottery bad teams have better chances at better picks but the exact order is not guaranteed so you can't be intentionally bad to ensure your position.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

First time there have been 4 playoff overtime games the same night since 1985 according to the announcers. Suggestions on a team to root for throughout the playoffs on the small off chance the Blackhawks can't win four in a row for the reverse sweep? \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have rarely heard anything more tragic than that statement of fandom, KF. You could literally cheer for any other team and be making a much wiser choice. To put it succinctly, the Chicago Blackhawks are evil and must be removed. I stayed up late last night to cheer against them...to great success, much to my joy!

I recommend cheering for the Penguins if you want to cheer for a team with recent Cup wins that is not the root of all evil. Any of the other teams would also be acceptable. The Ottawa Senators would be a nice choice - lots of good stories there!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Liking the Blackhawks is a serious offense. I only gave a 1 day ban which was not even close enough. Every Blackhawk win is another 3 days. (so likely no ban) Unless you repent of this heinous error. Or I will just ban you more until you confess.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That really doesn't seem like enough time to me, but I guess some people can learn a valuable lesson in a short amount of time. Let's hope that is the case.

Hey Barry, any brooms in that jail cell? *snickers* *prepares for the sweep*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Cavaliers and Warriors both sweep the first round. NBA parity is nonexistent.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

bookworm wrote:Cavaliers and Warriors both sweep the first round. NBA parity is nonexistent.
Celtics did not, and they are the #1 seed. Teams need to get better.

Speaking of Cleveland, I assume the Browns are going to draft another disastrous should-be 2nd-round, 3rd string quarterback who makes passes up the field to the defense with no one else around at 2nd & goal. Am I right?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Dredge wrote:
bookworm wrote:Cavaliers and Warriors both sweep the first round. NBA parity is nonexistent.
Celtics did not, and they are the #1 seed.
Who said anything about seed numbers? That has nothing to do with parity, it's about the teams. The last two finals have been GS vs CLE and it's more likely than not we'll have that again this year.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Also the Celtics were up against the TNT Bulls with playoffs Rondo. It was going to be a massacre from the beginning. Now... not so much.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Basketball is always going to be a sport with terrible parity because it is a very superstar dominant sport. 2 or 3 players can control a lot of a game compared to other sports where you a lot more good players to be a great team. 1 great QB and receiver still will not make a good football team.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It will never have as much parity as other sports, no, but the current state is really ridiculous even by basketball standards. We're not having just one team keep making the finals, the series has been the same matchup on both sides and shows no signs of changing any time soon. If they were both in the same conference at least only one of them could make it and it would get at least half mixed up from year to year.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

I say it's time to get over it and enjoy:

The greatest shooter.

The greatest forward.

The greatest defense.

The greatest rivals.

The greatest NBA EVER.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Yankees at Cubs went 18 innings last night. I think it was in like the 16th (It's all blending in.) that they broke the record for most strikeouts ever in a MLB game. And finished with Kyle Hendricks (A starting pitcher pinch hitting.) striking out for number 48.

Game originally went to extras around 11:15 EDT after the Cubs capped a three run rally with Anthony Rizzo getting hit in the arm with a 100 MPH fastball to tie it. The game ended around 3 hours later with eight scoreless innings in between.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Mon May 08, 2017 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Only one round 2 series over during the NHL playoffs right now. The Nashville Predators are on a roll and after sweeping the Chicago Blackhawks, they polished off the St. Louis Blues in six games. I'm really hoping that Ottawa wins tomorrow to finish off the New York Rangers! I like the Rangers, but I like Ottawa more.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Are the Giants bad this year or what. :( Clearly the end of the even year success streak was not also the end of the odd year struggles.