Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That really was a great game! And a cool setting too.

I would have watched anyway because I always watch the outdoor games I get, they're really neat, but this was my first Red Wings game I got this season so I was definitely watching.

I was happy when Detroit scored first, concerned when Toronto tied it, miserable when they scored two more in three minutes, slightly hopeful when Detroit got another, and absolutely elated when they scored two of their own in the final two minutes to tie it including a literal last second goal (1.1!) to force overtime. What a crazy third period! It was disappointing they couldn't get the win in the end, but mounting that incredible comeback saved the day from being unbearably depressing.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for posting the overhead picture, bookworm! It does look really cool. I can't imagine that many people had that great of a view, which for me always seems like a downside to these outdoor games, but I'm sure lots of fun was had by all! It must be a really fun atmosphere for an event like that.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There have been several reports in the past few weeks of new sports leagues starting up: a spring football league for veteran players, a 3-on-3 basketball league, and an alternative to college football
That seems like a lot to me. Is this a regular thing and I've just never heard about it before?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I've seen headlines about potential new leagues every couple years. Most of them fall through before they play a game. :shrugs:

I was able to go to a Blackhawks game the other day and Hockey is quickly hopping up my favorites sports list. They lost 2-3 but seeing the 6 on 5 play at the end of the game was amazing. \:D/ (Also much better than last years 0-5 flu game. :P)

Alex Ovechkin scored his 1000th goal! https://streamable.com/p0u6x

The LA Chargers.... That absolutely no one want.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay for KF liking hockey more now! :D Woohoo! Hockey is awesome, and live NHL hockey is lots of fun to watch. I'm glad you got to see a good game. It actually sounds like a super great game to me, since I would rather see pretty much any team win versus the Blackhawaks, but I digress. ;)

Ovi has grown on me over the years, and hitting his 1000th point is pretty impressive! (1000 goals would be even more impressive, but he'll probably need the rest of his career for that.)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's pretty crazy LA went from no team to two. I don't have a personal interest in either so I didn't care whether they stayed or went, but I was mildly in favor of the Rams return because that's neat for them. The Chargers jumping on I really don't have an opinion of either way.

If the Raiders go to Vegas now on top of these that's going to be a lot of sudden rearranging in one year.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Catspaw wrote: Ovi has grown on me over the years, and hitting his 1000th point is pretty impressive! (1000 goals would be even more impressive, but he'll probably need the rest of his career for that.)
This shows how much I still have to learn about hockey. xD

I've always just liked the Chargers logo. :( Though a lot of that had to do with watching LT when I first started watching football.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The logo isn't changing that LA thing is just for marketing. But that is changing apparently.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Knight Fisher wrote:
Catspaw wrote: Ovi has grown on me over the years, and hitting his 1000th point is pretty impressive! (1000 goals would be even more impressive, but he'll probably need the rest of his career for that.)
This shows how much I still have to learn about hockey. xD
Haha, no worries. You had the 1000 part right! He has 565 goals or something like that, and he's been playing for a decade, and offensive production is likely to drop off in later years, so it would be a significant accomplishment to reach 1000 goals, even with a long career by a star player.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

How do you score points without scoring goals? I like watching the games but really don't know much about the sport.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bookworm, when a goal is scored, there can be up to two assists credited for the goal. If a goal is scored unassisted, that means that no other player for the team that scored touched the puck recently. However, it is much more common for there to be at least one person credited with an assist, and often there are two. That way players who are setting up plays get credit for that, not just the last one to touch the puck who gets credit for the goal. If you look at Ovi's stats (click here) you can see his GP (games played), goals (G), and assists (A) as the first three categories. He's scored 546 goals in his career and has 456 assists to combine for 1,002 points overall. Wayne Gretzky is one of the most famous hockey players (and the top of basically all offensive records) and in his career he actually had more assists than goals, with 894 goals scored and 1,963 assists for a total of 2,857, which is way more than anybody else by far!

I just picked a game that's on right now for example, but if you look at the listings for goals on nhl.com, you can see other names underneath to show who got the assists, or in the case of Brad Marchand's goal, it says unassisted. https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-b ... state=live
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Great explanation, thanks Catspaw! I knew assists were a thing in games, but didn't realize they were permanently tracked career stats.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm glad that was helpful! Yes, assists are probably the second-highest considered stat for players (other than goalies), after goals of course.

I've been watching hockey this evening. Hockey Night in Canada is a Saturday evening tradition, after all! :yes: My dad is a big Montreal Canadiens fan, so we watched the Canadiens vs. the New York Rangers. It was quite an interesting game, with more scoring than I expected with two such great goalies (Price and Lundqvist) and great chances on both sides! The Canadiens won 5-4, but it easily could have gone either way.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

USA! USA!
bookworm wrote:It's pretty crazy LA went from no team to two. I don't have a personal interest in either so I didn't care whether they stayed or went, but I was mildly in favor of the Rams return because that's neat for them. The Chargers jumping on I really don't have an opinion of either way.

If the Raiders go to Vegas now on top of these that's going to be a lot of sudden rearranging in one year.
Oakland has one use and one use only...

Speaking of which, I project the Pats and Chiefs face each other in SUPER BOWL LI, and the Pats will win---- correct me if I'm wrong!
Last edited by Dredge on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amerigo Primero wrote:I project the Pats and Chiefs face each other in SUPER BOWL LI, and the Pats will win---- correct me if I'm wrong!
You're wrong. Patriots and Chiefs are in the same conference; they can't both be in the Super Bowl.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

^What a dilemma...

Pats and Cowboys then! Your 5 bucks will be in the mail!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Reuelist wrote:Pats and Cowboys then!
The Cowboys were eliminated last week...
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

IN THE THIRD QUARTER, I OFFICIALLY PROJECT THAT THE ATLANTA FALCONS WIN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP.
Last edited by Dredge on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow, one of Usain Bolt's 2008 gold medals was just revoked. That negates the unprecedented triple-triple sweep we were going on about in the last Olympics thread.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard that on the radio today! Crazy stuff. It must be super disappointing to lose out on something like that so many years later because of a teammate's actions.