Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Speedweeks begin tomorrow with the Advance Auto Parts clash in the first race in the
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

This week in sports:

Durant, Warriors face contentious OKC crowd

Clash @ Daytona set for 6 p.m. tonight
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sidney Crosby hit 1000 points in the NHL! Well, technically he hit 1000, then 1001 and then 1002 in the same game. ;) Not too long after Ovi did it, and technically in quite a bit less time, since Crosby has been out for injuries a lot more than Ovi.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Baseball got rid of intentional walks.

According to several poorly written articles. In reality they just got rid of the four pointless pitches. Now when a team wants to walk someone they just give them the base.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Daytona 500 qualifying races are tomorrow night.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

On the night of the MLB's decision. Texas A&M walks off on a wild pitch during an intentional walk.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:On the night of the MLB's decision. Texas A&M walks off on a wild pitch during an intentional walk.
Stuff like that definitely happens.

I understand the thought behind the decision to change it, but I'm not personally convinced.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=acy3n72VO[/youtube]

It's here!
Last edited by Dredge on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Speaking of baseball rule changes, the All Star Game will no longer determine World Series home field advantage. Thoughts?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Meh. :shrugs: It was an interesting twist to it but not that big a deal.

Free Agency is upon us. Time for the Bears to sign the great, the spectacular... Mike Glennon.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm mixed on the change. On one hand I approved that in this one sport the All Star Game actually had implications on something, but at the same time it didn't fully sit right with me that the actual teams that benefited or didn't from it may not have been involved in the end. Case in point the league #1 Cubs not having advantage in this WS. It's probably a good move in the long run, it's just kind of sad to lose one of the things that made this stand out from the others.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

IT'S BASEBALL SEASON. \:D/

Coming to select Chicagoland stores.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have been legitimately craving baseball for several weeks, so excited it's back! It's been quietly sneaking up my list of favorite sports the past few seasons as I've come to appreciate the many facets of the game more and more.

Go Giants! Start a new streak!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Baseball season? Who cares? It's almost the NHL playoffs! \:D/ We're a week away from all the fun that the playoffs bring. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There is no fun in the playoffs this year; the Red Wings aren't going to make it for literally the first time in my lifetime. :cry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is too bad - it definitely is the end of an era in Detroit. I hope they rebuild and get things together again soon, because they have so consistently been contenders. I'm showing my age here ;) but I was a Wings fan in those late '90s glory days with multiple Cup wins and Steve Yzerman being awesome and that was a lot of fun! I know how it feels to have a team you really want to make the playoffs not make it - and also what it feels like to have your team make it, only to bomb out in the first round. :sniff: But that's all part of what makes it fun to be a sports fan - you always tell yourself, "There's always next year," and you repeat that for as many years as necessary. ;)
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Detroit had it coming when they named their building after Pizza. Not something classy like telecommunications. Pulling for Ottawa to do something in the playoffs. In good news I will win the ToO fantasy hockey league by a ton. Love hockey and want to beat me? Join next year.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was fortunate to get to enjoy one Cup at least, but it was the very first year they became my team so it was fun, but didn't mean as much as it would have some time like last season because I wasn't fully invested yet. Whenever they get the next one is going to be great.

And yeah, the new name isn't great (I saw some people suggest Caesar's Colosseum instead which I like, same idea but works better), but I think what really caused the stumble was being unprepared to lose Datsyuk.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Bmuntz wrote:Detroit had it coming when they named their building after Pizza. Not something classy like telecommunications. Pulling for Ottawa to do something in the playoffs. In good news I will win the ToO fantasy hockey league by a ton. Love hockey and want to beat me? Join next year.
But the battle is on for second place! Aaaahhh, I desperately want to beat Watson and my hubby. :mad:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:I was fortunate to get to enjoy one Cup at least, but it was the very first year they became my team so it was fun, but didn't mean as much as it would have some time like last season because I wasn't fully invested yet. Whenever they get the next one is going to be great.

And yeah, the new name isn't great (I saw some people suggest Caesar's Colosseum instead which I like, same idea but works better), but I stink what really caused the stumble was being unprepared to lose Datsyuk.
At least they'll get a better draft pick this year than last year, to look on the bright side. :anxious:

Yes, Caesar's Colosseum definitely sounds better! I get that marketing and naming rights are necessary to pay for these crazy expensive new arenas, but some of the names are just terrible. It seems like a little more creativity could get the message across is a less tacky way sometimes.
Laura Ingalls wrote:
Glorious and perfect leader wrote:Detroit had it coming when they named their building after Pizza. Not something classy like telecommunications. Pulling for Ottawa to do something in the playoffs. In good news I will win the ToO fantasy hockey league by a ton. Love hockey and want to beat me? Join next year.
But the battle is on for second place! Aaaahhh, I desperately want to beat Watson and my hubby. :mad:
If you think you can beat Barry next year...you just might be me! O:)

Go Laura! :cheerleader: I fell so far behind that I won't make it out of fifth place, but I would rather see Laura get second than the boys. :noway: