ToO Chess Club

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

:( I misread this as the 'ToO Cheese Club'. I can't play chess, I lose when I play against myself. Someday I'd love to get better. Then maybe I'll join.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

bookworm wrote:You don’t have to be good at chess, you just have to like to play.
You can still join if you want. I used to be decent at chess, but now I can’t beat anyone. But I have fun. :)
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

bookworm wrote:I already have the bracket ready, if no one else joins. We can start in a week or so.
I don’t anticipate the whole thing being done simultaneously, it will most likely span several days, so the time limit can be up to each player.
I assume we believe that this going to be correspondent chess. However, if possible live chess would be faster. If both people can't do that then they could play the correspondent way.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

bookworm wrote:
bookworm wrote:You don’t have to be good at chess, you just have to like to play.
You can still join if you want. I used to be decent at chess, but now I can’t beat anyone. But I have fun. :)
How do you learn how to play? I know the basics, but I have no concept of stategy and usually end up moving pieces just so that none of them get taken..
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Smaug the Dragon wrote:
bookworm wrote:
How do you learn how to play? I know the basics, but I have no concept of stategy and usually end up moving pieces just so that none of them get taken..
I don't how the others have learned but my chess game has been improved through trial and error.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

bookworm wrote:
This is true for me as well. :P
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I assume we believe that this going to be correspondent chess. However, if possible live chess would be faster.
No, sorry if I wasn’t clear. Each individual match will be a live game. But with 8 people, the tournament itself will take a few days, because everyone has to be online at the same time as their opponent for their respective matches, and all of those matches have to be completed before the next round can begin.
Smaug the Dragon wrote:How do you learn how to play? I know the basics, but I have no concept of stategy and usually end up moving pieces just so that none of them get taken..
That’s exactly what I do. ;) Strategy isn’t important right now, knowing how to move the pieces is enough. As you play you might develop strategy.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Add me to the Tournament if I am not already in.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Everyone listed in the first post is currently in. :)
We’ll start it next month.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Next month is really far away. Maybe for the 1st round you could post it and we could start unless you or anybody else has conflicts with starting it this month.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:unless you or anybody else has conflicts with starting it this month.
I do. ;)
People can use the time to practice.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

bookworm wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:unless you or anybody else has conflicts with starting it this month.
I do. ;)
People can use the time to practice.
Gotcha, which is why I asked. We could use that time to play one another.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I would join if it wasn't in real time because I don't think I would have the time in a row to play.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

So am I in on this? :anxious:

Guess I need to login to my account. ;) This should be fun! \:D/

EDIT: Why am I the only girl playing? :x C'mon girls. Let's show these guys how smart we are.

\:D/
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Moontide wrote:I would join if it wasn't in real time because I don't think I would have the time in a row to play.
We were only talking about one game live. But we could make an exception and play correspondent chess.

For now lee, I think whenever other users have time you could play a game. I have played Knight Fisher and bookworm that way. Usually Fridays and Saturdays I have time to play.

Once both of you have agreed to play. Go to chess.com. Click on Play. Go to Live Chess. Then find the other user and challenge them.

It would be easier if we all friended (is that a word) each other.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

SWA, chess sometime soon? Just tell me when you're available, and also friend me: Username KillerSpaz.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Lee wrote:So am I in on this? :anxious:

Guess I need to login to my account. ;) This should be fun! \:D/

EDIT: Why am I the only girl playing? :x C'mon girls. Let's show these guys how smart we are.
Well, If I played, I would be so terrible that you'd all laugh... My "strategy" is to capture as many pieces as possible. and yes I do know that that isn't the point of the game...
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I would suggest everyone watch this video and the rest of the series. http://www.chess.com/video/player/every ... he-opening Great stuff.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Whitty Whit wrote:SWA, chess sometime soon? Just tell me when you're available, and also friend me: Username KillerSpaz.
I get Friday off of school. So tomorrow night and all Friday, I should be available.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I would like to play! My username is: ToyStoryWoody
Last edited by Woody on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!