How Many People Think Football is Boring?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Wow. I didn't expect so many replies. This is the first Super Bowl I have ever watched all the way through. I think I did it for the sake of perseverance. Haha! Thank you everyone for your input.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Humby wrote:Wow. I didn't expect so many replies.
Someone makes this thread every year, and it always takes off.
Not necessarily because people agree with the anti-football views of the original post, but because the pro-football people move in and takeover the discussion. :P
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

:lol: I figured as much.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I've yet to meet a person who fully understands football who thought it was boring. You may be bored watching a game, but only because you don't know what's going on. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

On the contrary, I think football is quite fun!
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

i prefer the college football season to the nfl.

they are faster more "big" hits. (in my opinion)

every game means something for 12 weeks. (unlesss you are a sec team) no standing no 9-7 wild card teams winning the championship games.

plus the bowl season makes for some of the best games ive seen for the past 14 years of watching it.

i dont find it boring. i just have a lot to do so i dont watch it. i had dreams of being a coach once.. so i might be bias.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

~JCGJ~ wrote:However, I'd much rather be watching Australian Football... It's much more entertaining, because it doesn't stop every 10 seconds... Pretty mcuh constant action. :mrgreen:
I definitely agree that Aussie Rules football is much more entertaining. I'm not a huge footy (AFL) fan, but in recent years I have gotten into watching it a bit.
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Do you mean Aussie football as in the one like soccer? Or rugby which is like American football... kind of?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Humby wrote:Do you mean Aussie football as in the one like soccer? Or rugby which is like American football... kind of?
Neither, actually. Aussie Rules Football is like rugby, but not quite.

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
Humby wrote:Do you mean Aussie football as in the one like soccer? Or rugby which is like American football... kind of?
Neither, actually. Aussie Rules Football is like rugby, but not quite.

I pretty much see it as a free for all for the ball, with minimal rules and regulations (as compaired with other sports)... Which is why I enojy it so much! :mrgreen: It's much more consistently exciting than American Football, and it has much more personal contact than Soccer, making it more exciting than the too.

Basically, it's just an all around exciting sport to watch. :mrgreen:

American Eagle wrote:I've yet to meet a person who fully understands football who thought it was boring. You may be bored watching a game, but only because you don't know what's going on. ;)
Actually (and I may get shot for saying this), I fully understand the game, but I find it to be much more borig than most other sports, simply because there are too many rules and regulations... And the fact that an hour of playing time often takes more than four hours to complete also bumps it up a notch or two on the boring meter... :anxious:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

I watched the Youtube video. I found the Aussie football to be quite amusing. I don't care for sports in general, but the rolling around and jumping up made me smile. :) I think I like Aussie football better too now.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

~JCGJ~ wrote:making it more exciting than the too.
How could any sport be more exciting than the ToO??? :shock:
Last edited by Woody on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Woody wrote:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:I find it to be much more borig than most other sports, simply because there are too many rules and regulations
But that’s the point. Football isn’t just an action sport, it’s about strategy.
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

Post by AshleyWhittaker »

Football is BORING....... Me, I like hockey XD
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Woody wrote:
Pardon me...

"...more exciting than that too."

:anxious:

-- Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm --
bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:I find it to be much more borig than most other sports, simply because there are too many rules and regulations
So is NASCAR, but that's not why people watch it.

I mean, I truely doubt people pay 50 bucks a pop to goes watch a bunch of guys in excessive padding stragegize on artificial turf... If people want to watch strategy, just go watch a chess match.:mrgreen:

The appeal is the action, and I find Aussie Rules Football to be much more action filled, and therefor more appealing,than American Football.

(Please note that I am being quite fecitious, if that is not already evident from my posts).
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

AshleyWhittaker wrote:Football is BORING....... Me, I like hockey XD
Yes, nothing like a game ending in a 1 to 1 tie. >_>
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

The Top Crusader wrote:
AshleyWhittaker wrote:Football is BORING....... Me, I like hockey XD
Yes, nothing like a game ending in a 1 to 1 tie. >_>
WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON?!?

Seriously though, this post sums up my entire feelings about the game
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Hey, hockey has changed. :noway: There are NO ties anymore, if the game is tied after overtime, they have a shootout. And the goalies' pads are smaller now, so there are usually more goals these days. I think people who talk about 2-1 games like that's bad, don't admit it's just the same as a 14-7 football game. You just get 1 point for 1 goal, instead of 7 points for 1 touchdown. Same amount of "scoring" just different numbers. :P The other night the hockey game I was listening to ended with a 5-3 score....equivalent to a 35-21 football game. So there. :neener: Plus it's pretty much constant action!

Not that I don't like football - I do. ;) But someone has to stick up for hockey! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
bookworm wrote:
So is NASCAR, but that's not why people watch it.

I mean, I truely doubt people pay 50 bucks a pop to goes watch a bunch of guys in excessive padding stragegize on artificial turf... If people want to watch strategy, just go watch a chess match.:mrgreen:
Chess is way more fun to play, but it's pure strategy. At it's finest level chess is a puzzle that fights back.

Whereas football has a physical element adding the random element that dice bring to some games. But, having some control over it, and knowing on some level what to expect. And that's what makes football so great. So many different elements combined in one form. If you concentrate to heavily on one, or not enough on another you fail. But the perfect balance is amazing.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.