Rainforest degredation and thousands to be displaced

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
ique
Found

Rainforest degredation and thousands to be displaced

Post by ique »

Hi everyone. I recently heard about a major world issue that's going on right now and not really receiving enough attention. For the past thirty years, negotiations have been underway to build a massive hydroelectric dam on the river Xingu in northern Brasil. The issue has been highly controversial, but recently the licence to build the dam was finally issued by the government, and that means that thousands of indigenous people will be displaced from their traditional homeland and the already-threatened Amazon will be put at risk of destruction.

This issue really hit me particularly hard, because this kind of thing has happened SO MANY TIMES before in South America. It's outrageous. My heart really goes out to the indigenous people who are being, once again, marginalised beyond belief. It's completely wrong and disrespectful towards them AND the environment.

Anyway, the Juruna and Arara people of the area are trying to raise money for legal fees, transportation, etc., to file a lawsuit and fight for their rights. I'm planning to donate to the cause at my next paycheque. I'm sure any little bit helps, so if any of you are at all able to help, please do so.

The link to the donation website is here:
http://www.causes.com/actions/1597086-s ... its-people

I urge anyone interested to learn more about the issue by looking up journal articles, news articles, and amazonwatch.org. The proposed dam is called the 'belo monte' dam.

-- 07 Apr 2013 11:51 am --

Maybe I put this in the wrong board. >_>
Should this have been in Second Church of Odyssey instead?
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Soo ... how does this affect Americans?

Nobutreally. I find it really poop that it's always the indigenous people of any given country who get totally screwed over in the name of "progress" and "innovation." It's really easy for us to sit over here on our couches, far away from where any lives are directly affected and fight about gay people getting married. Kudos to you for actually taking the time and effort to care about people who live thousands of miles away.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Are you sure this isn't the plot of avatar?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

ique wrote: Maybe I put this in the wrong board. >_>
Should this have been in Second Church of Odyssey instead?
I think this is the right place for the thread. :)

This does sound like a very serious issue. I don't follow world news extensively, so maybe it isn't shocking that I hadn't heard about it, but that's where the ToO is helpful. ;)
ique
Found

Post by ique »

EK wrote:Are you sure this isn't the plot of avatar?
Every Western encounter with indigenous people EVER is the plot of avatar. =p
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

ique wrote:
EK wrote:Are you sure this isn't the plot of avatar?
Every Western encounter with indigenous people EVER is the plot of avatar. =p
You can leave the word 'western' out.

That really is sad. I'll look into that deeper.

edit: post 6666. Awesome.