Win a trip to Mars!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Blitz wrote:Unless your dream man decides to go there. \:D/
eh, even then... :noway:
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Termite wrote: IF GOD WANTED PEOPLE TO LIVE ON MARS HE WOULD HAVE PUT THEM THERE. :mad:
So much fail.

It is not so much winning a competition, as it is being selected in a very elaborate interview process. I am definitely going to apply even though I know I will likely not make it past the first stage. This is one of the biggest contributions one could make to humanity, and I am shocked that so many of you are appalled at the idea.
Last edited by 31899 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Blitz wrote:Unless your dream man decides to go there. \:D/
eh, even then... :noway:
Yeah right.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

31899 wrote:It is not so much winning a competition, as it is being selected in a very elaborate interview process.
Oh? It sounded to me like a ‘real life consequences’ version of AGT: The world watches the potential groups and votes to advance ‘favorites’ or whatever. If it’s more structured, that’s good.
31899 wrote:This is one of the biggest contributions one could make to humanity, and I am shocked that so many of you are appalled at the idea.
Are you really? I could see having a different view on it, but being shocked? It seems pretty unshocking to me to not want to leave the relative certainty of life on Earth to go on an experimental project into the ultimate unknown.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

31899 wrote:
Termite wrote: IF GOD WANTED PEOPLE TO LIVE ON MARS HE WOULD HAVE PUT THEM THERE. :mad:
So much fail.

It is not so much winning a competition, as it is being selected in a very elaborate interview process. I am definitely going to apply even though I know I will likely not make it past the first stage. This is one of the biggest contributions one could make to humanity, and I am shocked that so many of you are appalled at the idea.
I'm appalled at you being shocked! God said to populate the earth, not other planets! They would be perfectly inhabitable if we were supposed to be there. :x

blah blah blah, humor alert, etc. etc. chill out, dude.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

..Is this like an April Fools joke or something? o_0
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Termite wrote:
Jelly wrote:You guys are insane. It sound like you're casually considering a trip overseas or something. >_>

This is MARS we're talking about.

MARS.

A NEW PLANET.
IF GOD WANTED PEOPLE TO LIVE ON MARS HE WOULD HAVE PUT THEM THERE. :mad:
no, if God wanted people to explore the vast reaches of his creation he would have equipped them with the fascination and incredible ingenuity they would need to get to other planets. You're looking at this the wrong way. >_>
Taps wrote:I am SO with Jelly here. Maybe it's just cause I'm bored right now, but to have the chance to be the first human to explore a whole new planet... it gives me chills.
Awesome, this is refreshing to hear. \:D/
radgeek wrote:If humans keep going there we will need to send missionaries one day if the Lord tarries.
lol, this is brutal.
31899 wrote:This is one of the biggest contributions one could make to humanity, and I am shocked that so many of you are appalled at the idea.
Exactly. In fact, it's a fairly disheartening, because it's a reminder of how far too many people have become so wrapped up in their ideas of comfort and safety that they'd rather ignore their God-given desire to 'go forth' and participate in new experiences, explore His creation and dwell in endless fascination. The core of man's spirit is to experience new things! Why we should we, as Christians, only consider things like "possibly sending missionaries" with such a reluctant attitude? If we claim pure faith in the Christian God for ourselves, we should have the attitude of pioneers, leading the way in culture, science, philosophy and, yes, space exploration. Lately the Church has been pathetic in this regard.

THAT'S RIGHT, I'M TALKING TO YA'LL.
Last edited by jelly on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Yeah we need to go out explore dominate the world. Get out of our comfort zone. Not that it is a comfort zone. We build around ourselves a false sense of security while living on mars is just about as dangerous as Earth in a round about way.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I just don't see going to Mars as useful. I would rather see Christians pressing to cure cancer, starting addiction ministries, starting a ministry to the LGBT community (what I'm trying to do). Yes, we need to do knew things but we have to ask why are we doing them. Are we doing it just because we want to or is it something God wanted of us? I would love to be the first person on Mars but God has called me to something here on earth.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Would I get back to earth before I died?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Jelly wrote:
Termite wrote:
Jelly wrote:You guys are insane. It sound like you're casually considering a trip overseas or something. >_>

This is MARS we're talking about.

MARS.

A NEW PLANET.
IF GOD WANTED PEOPLE TO LIVE ON MARS HE WOULD HAVE PUT THEM THERE. :mad:
no, if God wanted people to explore the vast reaches of his creation he would have equipped them with the fascination and incredible ingenuity they would need to get to other planets. You're looking at this the wrong way. >_>
[/joke]

Srsly, guys. :( You ruin all my fun.

...though I still think it's odd, personally. xP Yes, I'd rather stay in my comfort with the little kiddies I can minister to and thus reach their families than go to a foreign planet. \:D/ Yes, man is ingenious, but if he's not careful he might just try building another tower to Heaven. All the power to him, though; I'd like to count the stairs on that one. ^_^
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 20 Apr 2013 11:00 am --
Humby wrote:Would I get back to earth before I died?
Not on this mission, this is one way only. That’s apparently what makes it feasible.

@ Jelly:
I understand what you’re saying, and I’m not saying otherwise. I am totally behind people who want to do this doing it, my point was only that you shouldn’t be incredulous that not everyone falls into that group. If someone personally doesn’t find this attractive, that’s their choice and shouldn’t be hard to understand. As I said, it’s such a radically unknown endeavor that it’s only natural for a majority of people not to jump at it. The idea of space travel freaks me out, I would never ever do it, even if we got to the point where it was safely opened to the public for causal flights. That doesn’t mean I’m against the idea, I would simply never do it myself.

-- 09 May 2013 05:00 pm --

78,000 people have applied so far.
More than 78,000 people from 120 different countries have so far applied to leave Earth and permanently move to the planet Mars.

The openings come from a new reality television series from Dutch non-profit organization Mars One.

Their plan is to document a decade-long ambition to begin a new settlement on Mars.

There is a two-year selection process, and those successful are expected to train for a further seven years for the project.

Mars One's official website states that there have been 17,324 applicants from America, 10,241 from China and 3,581 from the United Kingdom.

Co-founder Bas Lansdorp said: "With 78,000 applications in two weeks, this is turning out to be the most desired job in history.

"These numbers put us right on track for our goal of half a million applicants."

He added: "Mars One is a mission representing all humanity, and its true spirit will be justified only if people from the entire world are represented."

The deadline for online applications is August 31.
-- 11 Feb 2019 05:46 pm --

The project may or may not now be cancelled.
To the surprise of almost no one, Mars One appears to be dead. This project, founded in 2013, said it would raise funds from fees and marketing rights in order to send humans on a one-way mission to settle the Red Planet.

Now, thanks to a user on Reddit, we know that the effort has come to an apparent end. Mars One consists of two entities: the Dutch not-for-profit Mars One Foundation and the publicly traded, Swiss-based Mars One Ventures. A civil court based in Basel, Switzerland, opened bankruptcy proceedings on the latter company in mid-January. Efforts on Monday to contact officials with Mars One were not successful. (See update below).

To say this site was skeptical of Mars One would be putting it mildly. In May 2013—after more than 30,000 people around the world applied to become "astronauts" for Mars One—Ars' Lee Hutchinson scoffed at the venture, writing an article about some of the technical challenges it would face.

"It just seems like a ludicrous, impossible project. And not the good kind of impossible project that ends in the triumph of the human spirit overcoming the whatever blah, blah, blah—this seems like the bad kind of impossible project where people wind up dead. I wish Mars One and its applicants luck, but if they pull off even a single launch, I'll eat my hat."

The problem with Mars One is that it made something extraordinarily difficult—launching people into space, caring for them on the long, hazardous journey to Mars, landing them on Mars, and then providing some sort of sustainable living conditions there—seem relatively easy. It is not.

To believe that a small company selling "marketing rights" as a means of getting to Mars would solve all of the technical problems along the way was absolutely laughable. But it is no laughing matter that it trivializes the very real challenges of spaceflight.

7:30pm ET Monday update: Emma Sledge, with Mars One Communications, sent us the following via e-mail: "We are currently working with the administrator and an investor to find a solution moving forward, though at this moment that is all we can share. We will release subsequent press releases as more information is available. I would only like to add that this bankruptcy concerns the commercial arm, Mars One Ventures AG, and does not affect the non-profit Mars One Foundation."
An account of some of what's happened between the original announcement and now.
Four years ago, you couldn’t go a day without hearing about Mars One. Outlets including The Washington Post, the BBC, CNN, Fox News, and many more were swept up by the project’s promise of colonizing Mars, despite scientists ruthlessly – and regularly – pointing out its flaws. Now the false promise is over.

According to a notice from the Civil Court of the City of Basel in Switzerland picked up by the Swiss newspaper Landbote and on Reddit, Mars One Ventures – a British company bought by a Swiss firm in 2016 and one of two entities behind the project – has been declared bankrupt as of January 15, 2019, with less than $25,000 in its accounts. The company has now been dissolved.

In truth Mars One has been quiet for a while now. Aside from the odd press release here and there, the organization and its founder Bas Lansdorp haven't said much in public in recent years, despite originally planning to launch their first robotic mission in 2020. Crewed launches were expected to soon follow.

Mars One first arrived on the scene in 2012, with the immediately eyebrow-raising proposal to send people on a one-way trip to Mars. These pioneers, being sent on regular missions, would be resupplied by cargo missions from Earth, and would live out the rest of their days on the Red Planet.

Originally the plan was to send the firsts colonists to Mars in 2023, following a number of robotic missions to deliver equipment and habitats to the surface. Questions immediately started to be raised, though. Who would build this equipment, and where would the funding for this mission come from, considering such a venture would cost in the billions of dollars?

Lansdorp’s answer was that Mars One would be a self-funded reality TV show, with people tuning in to presumably watch the hopeful astronauts go through training, before the fateful mission on Mars itself. The audience sizes were often compared to the Olympic Games, although failing to take into account that while the Olympics lasted weeks, this Mars mission would last for eternity.

“The Olympic Games in Vancouver in 2010 and London in 2012 lasting only three weeks each, yielded more than $3.8 billion from broadcasting rights only,” Mars One wrote on its website. “Mars One offers the opportunity to take the world on the greatest exploration mission, from selecting and training the future astronauts, preparing the settlement, to the actual human landings on Mars where the settlers will start building a whole new society on another planet!”

Following its arrival in 2012, Mars One went quiet for a couple of years. That was until 2015 when, following a well-publicized application process, they announced the final 100 volunteers that would be the first to train for the company’s mission to Mars. These 100 people received a considerable amount of media attention, appearing on talk shows, being profiled by various newspapers, and more.

But the cracks had already started to show. In 2014, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) produced a damning report on the feasibility of the mission. Among a number of criticisms, the report noted that within about 68 days, the first settlers would suffocate and die as their habitats failed.

Joseph Roche, one of the 100 finalists, laid bare some of the underhand tactics being used by the company in 2015, saying they were ripping off supporters in an effort to sell merchandise. “You get points for getting through each round of the selection process and then the only way to get more points is to buy merchandise from Mars One or to donate money to them,” he said, reported Medium.

And the wheels completely came off in a brutal debate with MIT in late 2015, when two researchers tore apart Lansdorp’s mission, pointing out flaw after flaw. “If somebody was scoring this debate, giving a point for each well-supported argument, deducting a point for each weak one, and subtracting multiple points every time somebody conceded the other side’s argument, then Mars One lost it hands down,” The Space Review noted at the time.

In the subsequent years, Mars One repeatedly pushed back its planned date for sending humans to Mars. Its last press release of note was back in 2017, when it announced new revenue predictions for the mission. Aside from that and a smattering of other minor announcements, Mars One has been long gone – this bankruptcy is most certainly the final nail in an already rotting coffin.

Much has been said about Mars One over the years, with some questioning whether the whole thing was a scam from the outset, or if the people behind it were simply naïve about the challenges of going to Mars. Whatever the truth, the saga is over now. Here’s hoping that the whole experience will not dampen excitement for an actual human mission to Mars in the future, with proper expertise and funding.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Well, this is deeply disappointing. :sniff:

Haha, good thing my future plans didn't depend on this trip too much. ;)