How Cheese is Made

How my family makes artisan cheeses

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Oooo, both of those look really delicious! :yum:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Man of Cheese, I wanted to stop in to say that I am really enjoying this thread! I really like cheese...and was just this evening enjoying some munster. Do you know why it usually has orange on the borders?

I look forward to more cheesy posts in the future. Also the pictures are great! I feel like I am on a factory tour or wathcing Mister Rogers' Neighborhood :D \:D/ (minus the land of make believe).
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Carrie Ingalls wrote:Man of Cheese, I wanted to stop in to say that I am really enjoying this thread! I really like cheese...and was just this evening enjoying some munster. Do you know why it usually has orange on the borders?
Thanks. As far as the orange rind on Munster, I know that for our traditional French style Munster cheese we apply a special bacteria wash that gives the rind an red/orange color. These bacteria soften the cheese and give it the true French Munster stinky and strong flavor. This is probably not the same kind of Munster you ate, but I assume they took the orange rinds from the traditional style and add food coloring to make the American version look similar.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Man of Cheese wrote:
Carrie Ingalls wrote:Man of Cheese, I wanted to stop in to say that I am really enjoying this thread! I really like cheese...and was just this evening enjoying some munster. Do you know why it usually has orange on the borders?
Thanks. As far as the orange rind on Munster, I know that for our traditional French style Munster cheese we apply a special bacteria wash that gives the rind an red/orange color. These bacteria soften the cheese and give it the true French Munster stinky and strong flavor. This is probably not the same kind of Munster you ate, but I assume they took the orange rinds from the traditional style and add food coloring to make the American version look similar.
Hmm, interesting...yeah, "stinky and strong flavor" is not usually what comes to mind when I think of Munster, but now I want to try some some French style Munster. I may have to see if I can find some your family's in PA in the near future. (I already have a couple places to check out based on listings on your website). \:D/

So, do the bacteria and special cultures have to be listed on the ingredients list? Or are they like my mom's tomato sauce? (she would hide all manner of pureed veggies and what not in that stuff and only tell you if you asked her about it when you had her alone and only if you didn't make any comments about it to the rest of the kids). :-
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Carrie Ingalls wrote:Hmm, interesting...yeah, "stinky and strong flavor" is not usually what comes to mind when I think of Munster, but now I want to try some some French style Munster. I may have to see if I can find some your family's in PA in the near future. (I already have a couple places to check out based on listings on your website). \:D/
I just did a little more research on this (after I posted, of course) and the mild American version is called Muenster, while the French style is Munster. Muenster is colored with annatto to give the rind an orange color. Annatto is also used to color cheddar cheese, but we don't use any added colors to any of our cheeses. You can always ask your favorite store why they don't carry our cheese :P
Carrie Ingalls wrote:So, do the bacteria and special cultures have to be listed on the ingredients list? Or are they like my mom's tomato sauce? (she would hide all manner of pureed veggies and what not in that stuff and only tell you if you asked her about it when you had her alone and only if you didn't make any comments about it to the rest of the kids). :-
We list cultured milk as one of our ingredients, so that includes all the cultures/bacteria we add to the cheese. We could have a separate item for the washes we give to the cheese, but it is actually part of the affinage - or care of the cheese while it ages - and not really part of the production.
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

I love the Pacman cheese! =D>
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Thanks everyone who voted this thread into the Topic Hall of Fame.
Two pictures from cheese making today:
fresh cheddar curds
My dad packing the curds into the hoops.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I still want to come make cheese with you guys! \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I went cheese tasting at a family farm a couple days ago and I thought of this thread.
I thought “I wonder if this is what BlessedCheesemaker’s farm is like.”
Then I thought “This could actually be BlessedCheesemaker’s farm since I don’t know where he is! :shock:
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I'm gonna say he's in Wisconsin, because Cheese. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

You can check my profile page to find out :P
Western Pennsylvania
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It wasn't then. That would have been crazy.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Why is it Blue?
I’ve been meaning to write up how we make our blue cheese for a while. Actually, I thought I might have already and forgotten about it but I couldn’t find it anywhere.
Making blue cheese is actually one of the easiest varieties. To begin with we add a special culture that is actually the same as penicillin. That culture is what caused the blue molds to grow giving blue cheese its name and flavor. The next step is the same as all other cheeses, adding rennet and cutting the curds once they set (get thick). We actually want larger curds for the blue, so we use a knife to cut the curds into about one inch cubes instead of the normal 3/8 inch or smaller cubes that our curd knife makes.
Blue cheese gets very little additional heat and only a little bit of stirring. The goal is to get big puffy curds that look and feel like marshmallows. Once the curds feel about right, we use a cloth to collect all the curds into a pile and then scoop them into hoops.
We let the curds settle into hoops for a day, redressing them (flipping the wheels inside the hoops) several times to allow the wheels to form evenly. Once the wheels are well formed, we take them out of the hoops and rub salt all over the top, bottom, and sides of each wheel. We do this several times over the course of the first week to allow the wheels to soak in enough salt to act as a preservative.
After a week has passed, we take a steel rod (kind of like a knitting needle) and poke holes every few inches through the side of each wheel. The penicillin mold only grows when it is exposed to oxygen, so we have to provide some air passages for the blue mold to grow. We poke the wheels again two weeks after the first day of production. Then we age the blue cheese in a cooler for about 60-120 days. We have to keep our blue cheese in a separate cooler, or else the blue molds spread and start growing on our other cheeses.
Then when the cheese is aged enough, we cut the wheels up into wedges and have a beautiful creamy blue cheese. I didn't like blue cheese when I was younger, and I still don't care for it that much, but I have eaten it more now that we are making it. The interesting thing about this recipe is that we use for making our blue cheese came from Argentina. My parents won a scholarship to learn about cheesemaking and they visited a cheesemaker in Argentina last February to improve our process of making blue cheese.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Wow, that's pretty interesting and cool! :yes: But also gross. *does not like blue cheese*
Last edited by snubs on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I also do not like to eat blue cheese, but it was interesting to read about making it. It looks fun with the blue swirling through it, but I still don't plan to eat it. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

It always looked like mold to me when I was a little lad, so I continue to refrain from eating said cheese. Sadly, I can no longer feign ignorance and assume it's an unknown substance, so pardon me whilst I erase the last few minutes from my memory so I can continue to live in bliss.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

It's not the exact same thing as penicillin, though, right? I think I read in Biology yesterday that it's in the same genus, but not the same species, and wouldn't act as an antibiotic, correct?

Sorry, random sidetrack. Glad to see you're still adding to this thread! I was excited to see there was an unread post in here :)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Yes Woody, we add penicillium roqueforti to get the blue molds, which I believe is not the same that is used as an antibiotic.