horse racing

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

horse racing

Postby bookworm » Sat May 18, 2013 4:57 pm

It’s that time of year. Is anyone here a horse racing fan?
I’m not hugely into it, but I do enjoy watching. Especially the three jewel races. I enjoy the historic excitement every year around wondering if someone will finally win the Triple Crown again after 35 years. (Which won’t happen for at least one more because the Preakness was just run and the Derby winner lost.)
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 1,363.90
Bank: 56,000.00

Re: horse racing

Postby Laurie » Sat May 18, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm not into it either but I do enjoy watching it. I turned the TV on earlier and completely stumbled across the Preakness. I'm glad I watched it. The horses are beautiful animals and I love seeing them.
"Freedom is not the right to do as you please; it is the liberty to do as you ought."
Anonymous
Climbing the Ladder
Laurie

Cash on hand: 17.56
Bank: 5,509.09

Postby Anemone » Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I don't stick around watching the announcer people talk forever....I just come in when the race starts. But racing itself is okay.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image

Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14
Anemone

~こんにちわ~

Cash on hand: 3,840.24
Bank: 0.00

Postby bookworm » Wed May 22, 2013 11:26 am

Anemone wrote:I don't stick around watching the announcer people talk forever....
Tell me about it! It’s absolutely ridiculous; three hours of buildup for a minute and a half race. If someone wins the first two, then maybe some extended coverage is due for the Belmont since it could be the long awaited return of the Crown winner, but until then there is no serious reason to be on the air more than an hour early.

Anyway, for the Kentucky Derby, since it’s the first one, I root for whatever horse Bob Baffert has in, because I like him. After that, in the other races I root for whoever won the Derby, because I want to see a Triple Crown.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Laura Ingalls » Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 am

I enjoy watching the 3 Triple Crown races, but other than that I don't keep up with the sport. :) I like cheering for the underdog (underhorse?) so for the Derby I was going for the horse with the worst odds. \:D/
“Home is the nicest word there is.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Half Pint
Half Pint
Laura Ingalls

Happily married to Almanzo

Cash on hand: 425.12
Bank: 80.45

Postby bookworm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 am

Did anyone watch the Breeder’s Cup Classic this weekend? A female trainer’s horse won for the first time.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Sapphire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28 pm

I have never watched a horse race, but I have always wanted to. Perhaps I will start watching it this year if time allows.
A Beautiful Gem
Sapphire

"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash on hand: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00

Postby Termite » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 pm

My dad used to drive sulkies. \:D/

I mean, that was in trotting, but same thing. Horse racing.
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Termite

was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash on hand: 296.24
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby E II » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 am

My town used to have a horse race and a rodeo but they got rid of the horse race :( I like watching horse racing because the names can be so \:D/ funny.
I am confused
I love the ToO!
E II

That's a Shame

Cash on hand: 349.96
Bank: 1,123.42
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bookworm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am

Eugene the second wrote:I like watching horse racing because the names can be so \:D/ funny.
I always thought a good horse name would be I Don’t Know Who, because if it won the announcer would say “And I don’t know who wins the Derby!” :hilarious:
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby E II » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

That would be hilarious. Want to become a horse trainer?
I am confused
I love the ToO!
E II

That's a Shame

Cash on hand: 349.96
Bank: 1,123.42
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bookworm » Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm

-- 13 Nov 2013 12:42 pm --

I think it could be a pretty neat job, but I don’t know anything about it.

-- 19 May 2014 11:26 am --

History will be on the line at the Belmont this year as California Chrome lived up to the hype following winning the Derby to win again at the Preakness.
Could this be the long awaited return of the Triple Crown?
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Tea Ess » Tue May 20, 2014 12:04 pm

I was out of town for both the Derby and the Preakness, but I've read a little bit about California Chrome in the newspapers. I will definitely try to watch the Belmont this year. Hopefully we will get to see a Triple Crown winner.

I happened to read that the board in charge of the race is deciding whether or not California Chrome will be allowed to wear nasal strips in the Belmont.
Visit The Punctuation Shop today for all of your punctuation needs!
I love the ToO!
Tea Ess

I don't know the muffin man

Cash on hand: 33.78
Bank: 732.44

Postby bookworm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:47 am

The horse and jockey are undefeated so far when racing together. It's going to be exciting, whatever happens.

-- 09 Jun 2014 10:47 am --

It will be at least another year waiting for history as the Triple Crown could not be claimed by California Chrome, despite the most intense hype possibly ever generated, and having the most money all time bet on a potential Crown winner.

Bob Costas blew my mind when he said that the last three Triple Crown wins had come in years when Los Angeles and New York sports teams were competing in a final (the Lakers and Knicks in the NBA final and twice the Dodgers and Yankees in the World Series), because obviously we had that situation again here with the Kings and Rangers in the Stanley Cup final, but the pattern was not to continue.

There was a very awkward moment after the race when California Chrome’s owner went on a heated rant about how it’s unfair to horses who have been in the jewel races from the beginning for fresh horses to come in just at the end, calling running in just the Belmont “the coward’s way out.”
It was uncomfortable to watch, because I think in the heat of the disappointment he came off as way more bitter than he actually is. I believe, or want to believe at least, that he was more sad than angry about the loss and so come off that passionate, because if he actually meant it the way he said it than he’s just a really sore loser and not the cool guy he’s appeared to be over the past few weeks of coverage.
I get where he’s coming from, I’ve always thought it seemed unfair that a fresh horse could enter just the Belmont and play spoiler against one that’s been in the other two, so he’s not completely wrong, but he definitely chose a bad way to express it. Again, I hope it was the intense emotions talking more than a hostile bitterness.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Return to Finneman's Market