The ToO Strikes Back — YEAR 3

2013 Fantasy Football League

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Are you in the final Eugene?! :mad:
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Yep. 19 point underdogs vs. Laura. Why couldn't manning sit out?!? I'll win anyway though!!!
I am confused
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Despite a terrible season, AE will not be placing last. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

You beat ek =D>
I am confused
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

There's still a few more regular season games to be played, but why not start on the playoffs? ;)

Welcome to the 2014 "Gridiron Playoff Challenge"! This is similar to normal fantasy football, but instead of drafting players, you're given $50,000,000. You use that $50M to "buy" players. For example, Tom Brady costs $6.8M, Frank Gore costs $6.1M, Calvin Johnson costs $5.9M, etc. You have to fill your lineup using the $50M or less.

I sent an invitation to all of this year's regular season players, but ANYONE CAN JOIN. Even if you didn't play in the regular season, ToOers, feel free to join in the fun! \:D/

Note: League is not yet active. I'll post the link here when it is available.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Harrah for Laura!!! I could have won simply by starting Carson Palmer...
I am confused
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

And the Winoka Warriors seem to be victorious. \:D/

E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

By 3 points
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Benched Peterson for Asiata
Benched Walker for Olsen
Dropped Gerhart for Larry Fitzgerald (AZ) WR
Dropped Bowe for Knile Davis (KC) RB
Benched Hunter for Fitzgerald
Benched Rainey for Davis
Dropped Hunter for Edwin Baker (CLE) RB
Benched Gore for Baker
Dropped Walker for Nate Washington (TEN) WR
Benched Nelson for Washington

-- 30 Dec 2013 11:12 am --

Finished with a win \:D/
Regular Season:
Week 1 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 129-100
Week 2 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 96-102
Week 3 - vs Canadian Nationals (Skylerbuck) 80-61
Week 4 - at Avid Echos (AE) 126-117
Week 5 - at Southwood Knights (SWA) 75-107
Week 6 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 73-62
Week 7 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 62-74
Week 8 - at seattle videogames (gia) 120-116
Week 9 - vs Southwood Knights (SWA) 104-71
Week 10 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 77-76
Week 11 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 78-106
Week 12 - at Canadian Nationals (Skylerbuck) 92-56
Week 13 - vs Avid Echos (AE) 90-83
Week 14 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 66-95
Week 15 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-89

Playoffs (#6 seed of 10):
Consolation Ladder 1 - at #5 Southwood Knights (SWA) 78-91
Consolation Ladder 2 - vs #9 Avid Echos (AE) 95-104
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Gridiron link I posted yesterday was for the regular season. I'll post a link to the new group when it is available. \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My season recap:
Regular Season:
Week 1 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 129-100
Week 2 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 96-102
Week 3 - vs Canadian Nationals (Skylerbuck) 80-61
Week 4 - at Avid Echos (AE) 126-117
Week 5 - at Southwood Knights (SWA) 75-107
Week 6 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 73-62
Week 7 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 62-74
Week 8 - at seattle videogames (gia) 120-116
Week 9 - vs Southwood Knights (SWA) 104-71
Week 10 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 77-76
Week 11 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 78-106
Week 12 - at Canadian Nationals (Skylerbuck) 92-56
Week 13 - vs Avid Echos (AE) 90-83
Week 14 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 66-95
Week 15 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-89

Playoffs (#6 seed of 10):
Consolation Ladder 1 - at #5 Southwood Knights (SWA) 78-91
Consolation Ladder 2 - vs #9 Avid Echos (AE) 95-104
My record: 9-6 on the season (tied for 2nd of 10), 1-1 playoffs, 10-7 overall
Career Record: 18-27 regular season, 5-1 playoffs, 23-28 overall

Individual Matchups:
This season:
2-1 against AE
1-0 against EK
2-0 against Eugene
1-0 against gia
1-0 against JC
1-1 against KF
1-1 against Laura
1-1 against Skylerbuck
0-3 against SWA

Career:
2-6 against AE
3-1 against EK
2-0 against Eugene
1-0 against gia
1-0 against JC
4-2 against JWS
3-6 against KF
1-6 against Laura
2-0 against Monty
1-1 against Skylerbuck
3-6 against SWA
(season 1 stats),(season 2 stats)

-- 31 Dec 2013 02:58 pm --

They say the third time is a charm and it looks like the truth. I’m finally getting a grasp on how this works. Add some good player choices to that improved understanding and the result is a season that far exceeded my expectations. I had only hoped to be in the mix of things this year, I never dreamed I would hang around the top the whole season, let alone be alone at the top for a stretch, and then have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs and actually get so close as to just miss out via tiebreaker! This great improvement has validated the decision to stay with me for another season, and has secured my position with the team for many seasons to come.

I think it’s certain that had Rogers not gotten injured I would have ended up doing even better, which is disappointing but also exciting because if I did this well without even meeting my full potential I can’t wait to see what the future holds.
I like to imagine I’m coaching an actual team when I do this, and just like real coaches you sometimes have things happen that you can’t control. You get injuries to key players that affect your season. You get close games that you deserved to win but just couldn’t pull the edge out. You get those bitter losses that are so frustrating but you can’t do anything about it but look to the next week. It is what it is.

I have so much fun with this every time, and this year was the best yet! I already cannot wait for next season!
It was great to have some new participants as well keeping things fresh. The only downside was that with so many teams, the player pool was significantly depleted. That usually wouldn’t really be a problem, but in seasons where there is a shortage of a particular position it can make things frustrating. Most notably this season it was in the TE department. I couldn’t find a reliable one for the life of me. There just weren’t enough to go around.

I have to give a big thanks to Eugene for being my constant trade partner all season. It added some extra fun to help each other out along the way, and knowing he had my back if I got in a jam and desperately needed someone quick, and vice versa. I hope we can partner up again next season. :)

-- 31 Dec 2013 02:58 pm --

Final Standings:

EAST:
Skylerbuck (9-6; 0-2)
Eugene (9-6; 1-1)
SWA (9-6; 1-1)
bookworm (9-6; 1-1)
AE (3-12; 1-1)

WEST:
KF (10-5; 1-1)
Laura (10-5; 2-0)
JC (7-8; 2-0)
gia (6-9; 1-1)
EK (3-12; 0-2)

League Champion:
Laura Ingalls
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Trading with you helped me a lot thank you bookworm :)
I probably would not have made the playoffs with out your help.
I am confused
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Woo hoo, I won! \:D/ I was so excited to see the results when I logged on just now....I 've been out of the country with no internet sincd last week. Great season, everybody! I had so much fun all year. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Happy for you, Laura. :)

Note: I don't think the Gridiron Playoff Challenge is being hosted by ESPN this year. If someone elses wants to start up something similar, you're free to. However, my leadership role is vacationing until next regular season. \:D/

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This is always a ton of fun. Especially since each year has been competitive. Way to represent for the West Laura. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

American Eagle wrote:Happy for you, Laura. :)

Note: I don't think the Gridiron Playoff Challenge is being hosted by ESPN this year. If someone elses wants to start up something similar, you're free to. However, my leadership role is vacationing until next regular season. \:D/
Thanks! :D

I've created a new playoff challenge group on NFL.com...it's slightly different than the Gridiron one. The name of the group is The ToO Strikes Back with the password of Odyssey, if anybody would like to join. \:D/

http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/directory
Just search the private groups for ours! Or either perhaps this link will work to go directly there:
http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/158535
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Joined!

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Does it work the same way?

Edit:

Apparently not quite. What is this multiplier thing? And are the starter rankings for the whole season, through regular fantasy football, or just for this week?

-- 03 Jan 2014 12:33 pm --

My Wildcard Week lineup:

Drew Brees
LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles
Jordy Nelson, A.J. Green
Jimmy Graham
Mason Crosby
Bengals D

Wish I understood this better, but at least there's not a dumb cap.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

bookworm wrote:Does it work the same way?

Edit:

Apparently not quite. What is this multiplier thing? And are the starter rankings for the whole season, through regular fantasy football, or just for this week?
It rewards you if a player you start one week advances to the next week and you start him again. So if Drew Brees goes all the way to the Super Bowl, his points each week will be multiplied (second week x2, third week x3, etc). So you have to plan your strategy - choose the individual high scorers each week, or basically try to predict which teams are going to the Super Bowl and start out with those players to try to get the bonus points.

I think the % started thing is for this week.... :-k

Oh, and I can't see your picks on the website...are you sure they are saved? I don't know if others in the group are supposed to be able to see each other's picks or not, but I can't see yours or AE's.
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is there a way to turn that off for our group? We don’t need a game within a game going on. Besides, it doesn’t make sense. To use this current lineup as an example, I think the Chiefs will play well, but lose the game. So I’m playing Charles, because like in regular season fantasy football, good performance is what matters not the outcome of the game itself. But here, he’ll get points for playing well, but then I’ll be punished next week because his team didn’t end up winning the game? :|