The ToO Strikes Back — YEAR 3

2013 Fantasy Football League

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

No, there's no way to turn it off that I can tell. :) You won't be punished, you just won't be getting bonus points. But if you started someone else just for the sake of them going all the way, you may not get ANY points this week, so it really may even out.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Huge day for Andrew Luck and all my players from Day 1 will be advancing to the next round. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My Divisonal Week lineup:

Peyton Manning
Marshawn Lynch, Knowshon Moreno
Demaryius Thomas, Anquan Boldin
Jimmy Graham
Adam Vinatieri
Seahawks D

Multipliers:
Graham x2
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

2x Andrew Luck
2x Frank Gore
2x Darren Sproles
Demaryius Thomas
2x Anquan Boldin
2x Jimmy Graham
2x Adam Vinatieri
Seattle Seahawks

This looks like a good week for AE. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I repeat my sentiments on how dumb the multiplier is. You aren’t supposed to have to worry about who wins the actual game in fantasy football, it’s just about player performance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Then you should've taken that into consideration.

This isn't Fantasy Football — this is the NFL Playoff Challenge, and you knew that when you signed up. You don't have to like it, but you can't complain because it's unlike an entirely different game. It is exactly what it claims to be. A playoff challenge.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It says fantasy football. But I’m not complaining, I’m saying I don’t like it like you said.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Fair enough. ;) I probably just like it because it's benefiting me.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Probably. ;) Though even if it were benefiting me, I still wouldn't like it. I find the concept dumb.

To use this lineup as another example, I actually had another multiplier available, but had to pass on it because it didn’t make sense to use. Drew Brees was x2, but I don’t think he’ll play particularly well this week, so I went with another QB and so start at zero.

Which highlights a larger flaw in the overall premise.

If you’re playing the multiplier game, you are more than likely going to throw anything you’re gained in Week 1 away because the players most likely to continue on and stack those multipliers don’t play in Week 1. The good players are on the good teams, so they have the bye!
Compare AE and myself as an example. He has a bunch of players left from Week 1, so the multipliers pressure him to keep all of them. But I believe bye team players will do better this week, so I redo nearly all my lineup. It looks uneven from the outset, but in the long run it is most likely going to benefit me over him, because his are multiplied now, but many of them will probably lose the games. My players, being on the better teams, will not only perform well this week, but stay in the postseason and be multiplied next week, when AE will have to restock.
So actually, if you play this game the way the site encourages you to, you start out with a disadvantage because you won’t really get going until the second week.

-- 21 Jan 2014 03:02 pm --

My Championship Week lineup:

Peyton Manning
Demaryius Thomas, Anquan Boldin
Julius Thomas
Matt Prater
Seahawks D

Multipliers:
Manning x2
Lynch x2
Moreno x2
D Thomas x2
Boldin x2
SEA D x2

-- 21 Jan 2014 03:02 pm --

Jumped to the top! \:D/

-- 21 Jan 2014 03:05 pm --

My Super Bowl lineup:

Peyton Manning
Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker
Julius Thomas
Matt Prater
Seahawks D

Multipliers:
Manning x3
Lynch x3
Moreno x3
D Thomas x3
J Thomas x2
Prater x2
SEA D x3

-- 12 Feb 2014 01:02 pm --

I won! \:D/

Final Scores:
bookworm - 571
AE - 542
Laura - 405
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Would anybody be interested in starting up a Dynasty league to go along with the regular one?
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't know what that is. \:D/
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I think that is where you keep players from one year to the next. Or keep a select number of players etc
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That’s been suggested before and determined unfair as we get new participants each season.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

A way to add in new teams is to say you can keep say 1 or 2 from last years team and than any new teams can pick between any of the players not kept (which in fantasy football would still be pretty good)
I am confused
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

A Keepers league you would carry over 1-3 players.

The main point of a dynasty league is to carry over your entire roster to the next year and then draft new players from this years NFL draft. It does have cons for instance we really couldn't add anyone new to it after we start. However it would allow us to develop teams over the years and as the name suggests build dynasties. So, for instance you drafted Julio Jones last year. He gets hurt early. The choice then becomes do you drop him for someone else to get points this year. Or do you keep him in hopes of future points over the next 5 years.

I find it an interesting concept so I brought it up. :shrugs: It is February so it's not even nearly a rush.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It is interesting, but I think it’s beyond the scope of what we have going here. I don’t support a change.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To note I'm in no way suggesting changing the yearly league. Merely suggesting an additional one.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That would be too much for me to keep track of. :(
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Su per bump to ask if we Are doing this again this year
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian