Quotes!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Quotes!

Post by IrishTiger »

Share quotes here. You can be quoting anything from AIO to tv shows, books to poems, preachers to your little sister.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. ~C. S. Lewis
This was why there was music, he realized. There were some feeling that just didn't have words big enough to describe them. ~Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."
~G.K. Chesterton
"Adventures are nothing if you don't come home with a good story or two."
~Jonathan Janzen :mrgreen:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Trust requires that we have unanswered questions. God's ways are not our ways, but His ways are always best. Trust God and learn to live one day at a time. As you do, you will enjoy life more than ever before.
-Joyce Meyer
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

"IT'S IN MY BRAIN! IT'S IN MY BRAIN! AAAAAAAUGH! AAAAAAAUGH!" - My roommate
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Here are just a few of my favorites.
Mik Everett wrote:If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die.
Oscar Wilde wrote:Be yourself; everyone else is taken.
Robert Frost wrote:In three words, I can sum up every thing I've learned about life: it goes on.
Heraclitus wrote:Nothing endures but change.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

"Right-wingers: we hate everything!" - my coworker (I know I just posted a weird one, but this one was too good not to share.)
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

A.W. Tozer wrote:The modern scientist has lost God amid the wonders of His world; we Christians are in real danger of losing God amid the wonders of His Word. We have almost forgotten that God is a Person and, as such, can be cultivated as any person can. It is inherent in personality to be able to know other personalities, but full knowledge of one personality by another cannot be achieved in one encounter. It is only after long and loving mental intercourse that the full possibilities of both can be explored.
Louisa May Alcott wrote:'Have your fun, my dear; but if you must earn your bread, try to make it sweet with cheerfulness, not bitter with the daily regret that it isn't cake.
Gideon Wurdz - The Foolish Dictionary An exhausting work of reference to un-certain English words, their origin, meaning, legitimate and illegitimate use, confused by a few pictures wrote:ACCIDENT: A condition of affairs in which presence of mind is good, but absence of body better.
Wordsworth wrote:Small service is true service while it lasts. Of humblest friends, bright creature! scorn not one: The daisy, by the shadow that it casts, Protects the lingering dewdrop from the sun.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sapphire wrote:
Robert Frost wrote:In three words, I can sum up every thing I've learned about life: it goes on.
I don't remember hearing this one before, but I really like it! I need to remember that one. I'm sure it would come in handy at some point. ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison
This is one of my all-time favourite quotes, both because I remember it ;) and because it really is true.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Sapphire wrote:
I love that quote Sapphire! :)
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
-Jimmy Johnson
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary
"Sometimes you've just got to hand it to short people... because quite often they can't reach it."
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Homer wrote:The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend as to find a friend worth dying for.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
"Sometimes you've just got to hand it to short people... because quite often they can't reach it."
:lol: I'm not particularly tall, but I am a couple of inches taller than my sister. I will definitely have to work some version of this into our conversation whenever I next see her...or when we talk on the phone, so I'm out of hitting range. ;)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

If your life had a face, I would punch it. I would punch your life in the face. -Kim Pine
he/him | a little stinker.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was re-reading "The Tutor's Daughter" by Julie Klassen the last couple of days and every chapter starts with a quote that connects with the chapter in some way, and I really liked this one:

"Govern thy life and thoughts as if the whole world were to see the one, and read the other." - Thomas Fuller, seveneteenth-century author and preacher.

That would definitely be a different way to live! There are moments where I'm really glad that people get to hear the nice words and not the unkind thought that preceded those words. ;) I liked this quote because it made me stop and think, and the author picked the perfect quote to start out this particular chapter.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

"Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do." ~ C.S. Lewis (The Silver Chair)
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Because being a nerd is fantastic, and it isn't a bad thing :)
Zachary Levi wrote:Nerd: One who's unbridled passion for something, or things, defines who they are as a person, without fear of other people's judgement.
Mad respect for this guy - Benedict Cumberbatch.
Benedict Cumberbatch wrote:It taught me that you come into this world as you leave it, on your own. It’s made me want to live a life slightly less ordinary.
This whole movie brings me and the rest of the world to tears, and it's the perfect thing to say for that movie.
James from the movie Third Star wrote:So I raise a morphine toast to you all. And if you should happen to remember that it is the anniversary of my birth, remember that you were loved by me, and that you made my life a happy one. And there is no tragedy in that.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

There are two I want to respond to with quotes of my own. The first:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary
I went to school at UND which houses the Ralph Engelstad Arena (and if you're a hockey fan and you don't know about the Ralph, shame). In the lobby there are two quotes from the Ralph's namesake, who was very wealthy, residing on plaques fifteen feet in the air. They read:
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

No dream comes true until you wake up and go to work.
The second (and we're doing this one second because it is more fun):
IrishTiger wrote:
This was why there was music, he realized. There were some feeling that just didn't have words big enough to describe them. ~Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
Which reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
~Plato
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Reviving this thread...Great idea by the way *gold stars Irish Tiger*

Here's a few I found today \:D/
Og Mandino wrote:"Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough."
Leo Buscaglia wrote:"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God."
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

I'll regularly post song quotes I like here \:D/

"Though I feel I'm strong enough to carry all this load, I'm not able on my own"

-Needtobreathe "Able"
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain
Just kind of love this one, heard it in a podcast once and it stuck with me. Mark Twain is basically attributed with saying everything, though, so he may not have really said it.