Danger: Wildlife on Road

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Danger: Wildlife on Road

Post by Catspaw »

Have you ever hit a deer? Or worse yet, a skunk? :-# I never want to hit a deer (and I have come way too close at least once, since it was dark and I barely missed it), but a skunk would probably be worse in some ways. Icky.

I had two deer within the last two weeks try to hit my car, so I've been thinking about this a lot. I have never hit a deer, but I have come close multiple times. I'm just lucky enough to drive in an area that has plenty of wildlife that likes to cross the road. One really seemed like it was aiming for the rear of my car. I've never had one like that before, where it looked like he was trying to run into the side/back of my car, instead of a deer just running out in front.

The biggest thing that I have ever hit was....a bunny rabbit. :sniff: He was hopping across the road in what can only be described as a dangerously erratic fashion, and I swerved away from the direction that he was heading to avoid him, only to have him simultaneously run back towards me, making it impossible for me to avoid him. Oops. I felt quite guilty about all the sad bunnies that he would be leaving behind, thanks to me. :(
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I've never hit any deer or skunks - just a few pedestrians is all. ;)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Way back when I was learning to drive, whenever I stopped at a stop sign further forward than my driving instructor thought was the ideal spot, he would slap his own wrist and say, "You just ran over Grandma." Apparently his special touch was needed with KBT. ;)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

A half mile to my south there is a major national wildlife refuge, and a half mile to my north is a smaller, but still sizeable, park system. Watching for deer is a daily thing here. Haven't hit anything yet though.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When I saw that Jonathan had posted, I had my hopes up for a great story, since I recall so many accident-related stories (not usually in cars) ;) so I am both happy and disappointed to hear that Jonathan has not yet hit anything! Better luck next time. :(

I have been exra worried about hitting a deer ever since I started this thread, since that would be extra ironic, and it just seems like the kind of thing that would happen to me.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

I almost hit a squirrel. :P I tried to swerve and get him but he was too quick. :( XD
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I hit a bunny once. I cried about it. :(
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Catspaw wrote:I had two deer within the last two weeks try to hit my car, so I've been thinking about this a lot.
I love that you blame the deer for trying to hit you.
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

We see deer daily, so the chance of hitting one is quite high. We've not had a too-terrible experience hitting one, it just bent the bumper of my dad's truck a bit.

My mom has seen a guy hit a whole herd of deer, and they just went flying everywhere... O_o

But I have nightmares about hitting a deer while I'm driving. >_> I think I might have hit a bird before, and I've nearly hit bunnies...but the bunnies I wouldn't mind, since they like to eat our cars. (no joke.)
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I had two deer within the last two weeks try to hit my car, so I've been thinking about this a lot.
I love that you blame the deer for trying to hit you.
Even when the truth hurts cute animals that have starred in Disney films, it must be said. I really do not want to hit a deer, so I do not drive towards them. At least some of them seem to want to hit me, because they run towards my vehicle. Facts don't lie!
God's Girl wrote:We see deer daily, so the chance of hitting one is quite high. We've not had a too-terrible experience hitting one, it just bent the bumper of my dad's truck a bit.

My mom has seen a guy hit a whole herd of deer, and they just went flying everywhere... O_o

But I have nightmares about hitting a deer while I'm driving. >_> I think I might have hit a bird before, and I've nearly hit bunnies...but the bunnies I wouldn't mind, since they like to eat our cars. (no joke.)
Hitting a whole herd of deer...now I have a new and terrible thing to worry about! That sounds really terrible to experience or witness in any way. :mad:

I need to hear more about the bunnies eating your cars!

I saw a turtle crossing the highway today. Luckily, he had already made it across my lane. Finally, an animal that I don't have to worry about darting into my path!
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Catspaw wrote:I saw a turtle crossing the highway today. Luckily, he had already made it across my lane. Finally, an animal that I don't have to worry about darting into my path!
My sister actually ran over a turtle once. Her only comment was that it was crunchy. \:D/ She is apparently not as softhearted as the rest of you. :-
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Since I last posted in this topic, I had a deer run out in front of my car. Wasn't very close, but I agree with Catspaw, the deer are trying to hit me.

One time we came real close when my brother was driving, but that was because he saw the deer on the side of the road instead of the deer right in front of him.
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

Catspaw wrote:quote="God's Girl"]
I need to hear more about the bunnies eating your cars![/quote]
They hop up inside, chew the wires, and kill the car. We've had to rewire cars at least 5 times now...

Plus, once one bunny has been up in there, the others get the scent, and think they belong in there too. We've actually seen bunnies run towards our car, even though it was farther away, instead of many other safe places, like under the porch.
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The other day I had to brake no less than four times for four different deer, all within 15 minutes of driving. As a bonus, as I started to speed up one time, I slowed down again due to a rathe rlarge porcupine occupying the lane next to me. He seemed entirely unfazed by my presence. It made me think of the porcupine in the Veggie Tales Jonah movie. \:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

One day, there was a squirrel in the middle of the road. The car in front of me started to drive so the squirrel would be under the car, safe. Unfortunately, right before ground zero, the squirrel did its circle running and it got squished. The carcass actually skidded along the road for a good 25-30 feet. It was all crumpled up like in a fetal position or something. I felt bad for it and the other driver who tried to avoid it. :P
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I see enough dead squirrels near here that I wonder how their population remains stable. :? I generally don't have problems with wildlife running in front of my car, but there was a couple of deer that I had to brake for a while ago. I ran over a squirrel once, and that made me feel quite bad for it. :(

About the only kind of animal I would have no regret of running over, providing that it died quickly, is the Canadian goose. They are the worst creatures around here by far. :x
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Has anyone seen this one yet?

*Guffaws*

They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: