Any runners out there?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Any runners out there?

Post by Shadowpaw »

I'm not a runner, and in junior high I remember it took me about twenty minutes to run 2 kms (about 1.2 miles) which is absolutely pathetic. Haha. I pretty much had to walk the whole thing and I suffered from really bad asthma. But the last couple of years I've been focusing on getting fit and Calgary opened a new runway at the airport this weekend and I signed up to run the length of it with my dad and sister. It was about 8.4 kms (5.2 miles) and it was the first run I've ever done in my life. Took 49 minutes, but I'm super happy with that time as I didn't need to stop and walk at for the whole time, plus with all the other exercise I've been doing, the only asthma symptoms I experienced was some heavy breathing.

Anyone else here run? Or working on fitness in any way?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I don't run. For other workouts, my job is is fitness enough, but aside from that I took up rock climbing two years ago. I try to get in two sessions a week, and it's a fantastic workout.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I wish I actually liked running so that I would be good at it. =p But running is just a bit boring to me. Though I know I should to do it more. >_>
Two months ago I did a 5k (the longest I've ever ran was like... a mile.. if that. heh.) I did have to walk some of it, but it was really fun.
Last edited by snubs on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

If I'm running, expect that the zombie apocalypse has begun. :anxious: For exercise, I take a modern dance class once a week, occasionally do Pilates at home, and ride my bike instead of owning a car. I also stand at the computer most of the time instead of sitting.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

snubs wrote:I wish I actually liked running so that I would be good at it. =p But running is just a bit boring to me. Though I know I should to do it more. >_>
Two months ago I did a 5k (the longest I've ever ran was like... a mile.. if that. heh.) I did have to walk some of it, but it was really fun.
I hate running too. I actually wouldn't have even signed up for it, but I'm doing "Tough Mudder" in September (10 - 12 miles) and a Spartan Race in August (3 miles) and while I've been training from a strength point of view, I figured I needed to try to get some running under my belt. But since I find running so boring, I didn't (and still don't) want to go for practice runs, so I just decided to sign up for as many races as I could this summer and those would serve as my practices. If I wasn't able to finish the race in a reasonable time this weekend, I probably would start doing some more practice runs, but I was probably in the top 25% of racers, so I don't think I need to bore myself anymore than I already have. ;)

Though 4 years ago, you wouldn't have caught me working out either and now I'm somewhat addicted to it, so I guess things change and maybe a few years from now I'll love running.
darcie wrote:If I'm running, expect that the zombie apocalypse has begun.
One of the runs I COULD sign up for but haven't yet is Zombie Survivor... you can sign up as either a survivor or a zombie and the survivors start first and then the zombies follow shortly after, and every survivor has three flags. Every time a zombie catches up to you, they can steal one of your flags. Your goal is to outrun the zombies for 3 miles. I'm tempted.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I'm TRYING to get into running with C25K this summer. But my work schedule is proving prohibitive and it makes me sad. :(
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Kait wrote:I'm TRYING to get into running with C25K this summer. But my work schedule is proving prohibitive and it makes me sad. :(
I tried C25K two years ago! I got through the first session no problem, so I got cocky and jumped to the 4th week and it killed me and I gave up. Haha. It's a good program, though. But the workouts I do plus playing hockey 2 - 3 times a week has increased my endurance to the point that practicing running would only reduce my time (I'm not interested enough to care what my time is) and probably break my shoes in a bit more (I got horrible blisters on Saturday). However, without those things, C25K is awesome... if you can fit it in!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I am physically unable to run, due to asthma.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

This is why I don't run:
EDIT: Though I actually did do a 5K/obstacle course last year. Twas fun, but it took me like an hour and a half. =P
Last edited by Woody on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

bookworm wrote:I am physically unable to run, due to asthma.
I was in the same boat about 5 years ago. I'm a huge fan of Survivor, and watching the competitors always made me sad because I knew there was no way I would ever be able to compete at that level or run longer than 30 seconds without spitting up blood. It's taken a while, but eventually I stopped using my puffer all together and forget there was a time I couldn't by active.
Woody wrote:This is why I don't run:
EDIT: Though I actually did do a 5K/obstacle course last year. Twas fun, but it took me like an hour and a half. =P
Haha, that video is great. What obstacle course did you do? I know there's a bunch out there!
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

There's a track and field park near my house, so I try to run at least 3-4 days a week. I honestly hate running more than any other form of exercise, but I also had to finally admit to myself that it's been the most effective for me in terms of weight management, fitness and overall feelings of energy/healthiness, so I force myself to do it. The max I can currently run is 10 rounds and it takes me about 8+ to start even moderately enjoying the experience. :(

I enjoy biking wayyy more, but don't find it as physically demanding and have resigned it to being more of a fun thing than a workout. I try to do low-impact "fun" exercise on weekends (walking, biking, kayaking).
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Woody wrote:This is why I don't run:
Haha, that video is great. What obstacle course did you do? I know there's a bunch out there!
I did the ROC Race :)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Kait wrote:I'm TRYING to get into running with C25K this summer. But my work schedule is proving prohibitive and it makes me sad. :(
I tried C25K two years ago! I got through the first session no problem, so I got cocky and jumped to the 4th week and it killed me and I gave up. Haha. It's a good program, though. But the workouts I do plus playing hockey 2 - 3 times a week has increased my endurance to the point that practicing running would only reduce my time (I'm not interested enough to care what my time is) and probably break my shoes in a bit more (I got horrible blisters on Saturday). However, without those things, C25K is awesome... if you can fit it in!
I ran xc in high school and I did all of C25K last summer and then continued running into the fall and did a 5k race too and then I stopped running when winter started and I haven't run much since then. I did like it when I did it though, because being outdoors was fun. I liked it more last year than when I did xc because after dealing with a injury I was so grateful that I was actually able to run again.
I decided to focus on powerlifting since November and was kind of thinking of doing a meet this fall, but idk if that's going to happen since I have a swim race in august that I've been training for lately and my lifting has been suffering. But I eventually want to start running again because I want to do a few triathlons.
Hope
You like me! You really like me!
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

I have never been a runner ever since I was little and in school running the mile. I want to start getting into shape and try running. I have a couch to 5k app that I want to try. Any ideas of how to become a runner?
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I've been using C25K and I've enjoyed it so far, my knees on the other hand have not.
I enjoy running, but I find it mind numbingly boring so I also do other things like rollerblade and bike(I agree with Sherlock though, I don't find it physically demanding) and during the winter I cross country ski.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I have been running for the last several years, although mostly in the summer and fall. Starting to run every spring is always hard, but I'm always glad I did it afterwards, and once I get back to a faster pace, it becomes more enjoyable. Mainly, my races have consisted of 5k runs, but I competed in a 10k run a few years ago. Last fall, I got a time of about 21 minutes for my 5k, which was rewarding.

The last two summers I participated in a local sprint triathlon (800 yd swim, 5k run, 13-15 mile bike), which has been very fun. Unfortunately, this summer, I didn't feel like I could comfortably keep up with that, work, and my summer class, so I am just running and doing some occasional swimming.

What distance of triathlon do you race, Anna? Are they typically an open water swim or in a pool?
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

T.S. (myself) wrote:The last two summers I participated in a local sprint triathlon (800 yd swim, 5k run, 13-15 mile bike), which has been very fun. Unfortunately, this summer, I didn't feel like I could comfortably keep up with that, work, and my summer class, so I am just running and doing some occasional swimming.

What distance of triathlon do you race, Anna? Are they typically an open water swim or in a pool?
Sprint generally, but up to this point I've only done team tri's because of foot problems and knee problems that kept me from being able to run and bike. I've done both open water swims and in a pool in those ones though. I think I've been able to get my knee and foot mostly better now though, so next year I want to do the full races myself.
Jamesobie
Gold Member

Post by Jamesobie »

I really enjoy running, but I don't to it for competition. I get up.at six in the morning to run, and go for two hours.

-- Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:07 am --

I really enjoy running, but I don't to it for competition. I get up.at six in the morning to run, and go for two hours.
-Trenton Landmark<><
P.S. The Bones rule, and the Israelites drool.
In memory of StrongNChrist, whom I never met.Image
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I don't mind running at all. I stopped running after snubs and I did the 5k she talked about...but I'm slowly going back to it. =] And I would run more than I already do if it weren't for my knees hurting all the time. =|
Last edited by Anemone on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I ran for class president once.