ToO Annual Fantasy Football - Year 4!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

As he announced, bookworm is The ToO's 2014 Fantasy Football Champion! \:D/
Congratulations on an amazing year, man. You had a stellar team because you made a lot of smart moves.

Final Standings
1. bookworm's team (bookworm)
2. Bench Coolers (E II)
3. Constantinople Chrysostoms (John Chrysostom)
4. Winoka Warriors (Laura Ingalls)
5. Gainesville Behemoths (EK)
6. American Eagles (AE)
7. Texas Staleys (Knight Fisher)
8. Seattle King's (godisawesomeness99)

This was a great season, guys! I'm already looking forward to next year. :)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah Laura, that's the right playoff thing. You know what though, postseason competitions are so easy since there’s hardly anything to do I went ahead and made a group in the other game too, because why not do it all? They have different strategies because of the different procedure, so it might be fun to have both.

http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/218882
Password: thetoo

-- 31 Dec 2014 05:41 pm --

My Wild Card Week lineups:
Gridiron Challenge:

Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger
DeMarco Murray, Justin Forsett
Antonio Brown, Calvin Johnson
Greg Olsen
Dan Bailey
Panthers D
Cost: $49.9

Playoff Challenge:

Tony Romo
DeMarco Murray, Jeremy Hill
Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant
Jason Witten
Dan Bailey
Panthers D
-- 06 Jan 2015 02:25 pm --

Standings:

Gridiron Challenge:
bookworm - 100
Laura - 98

Playoff Challenge:
bookworm - 89
Laura - 34 (she picked a bunch of people who were on bye for some reason :anxious: )
Last edited by bookworm on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yup, it was my strategy. \:D/ We'll see if it's worth it now that I'll be getting double points for all those players this week.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You don't get double points until they win a game!
...right? I'm pretty sure they get a multiplier for each week they play, not each that just passes.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Nope, they all have x2 by their names. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow, I had no idea! So they gain a multiplier each consecutive week they're played, in your lineup, not necessarily each week they play a game. That is a crazy strategic opportunity. I'm very interested to see how it works out.

-- 07 Jan 2015 05:51 pm --

My Division Week lineups:
Gridiron Challenge:

Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo
Justin Forsett, C.J. Anderson
Jordy Nelson, Emmanuel Sanders
Julius Thomas
Dan Bailey
Seahawks D
Cost: $50

Playoff Challenge:

Tony Romo (x2)
DeMarco Murray (x2), Marshawn Lynch
Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant (x2)
Rob Gronkowski
Dan Bailey (x2)
Seahawks D
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

It worked out pretty well this week! \:D/ We'll see how it goes next week though...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, I messed up big time here. I’m not sure what I was thinking (or more likely not thinking) when I made my picks last week, but going forward things don’t look good. The multiplier situation has badly mishandled.
And in the other game there’s now the added challenge of needing to balance this coming week’s picks with who might still be in come Super Bowl, since they are linked. With the salary cap limiting options, that's a real challenge to sort out.

Standings:

Gridiron Challenge:
Laura - 207 (+109)
bookworm - 199 (+99)

Playoff Challenge:
Laura - 223 (+189)
bookworm - 215 (+126)

-- 14 Jan 2015 05:19 pm --

My Championship Week lineups:
Gridiron Challenge:

Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck
Marshawn Lynch, Eddie Lacy
Hakeem Nicks, T.Y. Hilton
Dwayne Allen
Adam Vinatieri
Seahawks D
Cost: $50

Playoff Challenge:

Andrew Luck
Marshawn Lynch (x2), Eddit Lacy
T.Y. Hilton, Randall Cobb
Rob Gronkowski (x2)
Adam Vinatieri
Seahawks D (x2)
-- 31 Jan 2015 03:39 pm --

Standings:

Gridiron Challenge:
Laura - 279 (+72)
bookworm - 274 (+59)

Playoff Challenge:
Laura - 381 (+158)
bookworm - 322 (+107)

-- 31 Jan 2015 03:42 pm --

My Super Bowl lineups:
Gridiron Challenge:

Russell Wilson
Marshawn Lynch
Seahawks D

Playoff Challenge:

Tom Brady
Marshawn Lynch (x3), LeGarrette Blount
Julian Edelman, Doug Baldwin
Rob Gronkowski (x3)
Stephen Gostkowski
Seahawks D (x3)
-- 23 Jun 2015 12:59 pm --

Very late wrap-up for our post season competitions. Sorry it took so long, I got distracted and never went back to it.

Laura's strategy of intentionally playing byed players to stack the multiplier in the Playoff Challenge definitely worked; that combined with bad moves on my part gave her an easy win there. I took the other one though by the narrowest of margins! (Seriously - a single point! o.o) So we both got one :) Congratulations Laura.

Final Standings:

Gridiron Challenge:
bookworm - 314 (+40)
Laura - 313 (+34)
KF - 0 (never picked anyone)

Playoff Challenge:
Laura - 542 (+161)
bookworm - 482 (+160)

I've decided to just do the playoff challenge next season because the salary cap mechanic of the other one is too infuriating. There were multiple times I was unable to set a new roster because I was just barely over. I still think the multiplier is dumb and wish there was just a straightforward 'play who you think will do well' with no gimmicks, but it's the best option so far available.

Laura can celebrate, then I'll make my customary though overdue season review speech.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

*celebrates* \:D/

Woo hoo, I won something! :D Congrats on your narrow win as well, bookworm. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

*is honored by a victory parade*

The ToO Champion
Awarded annually for winning ToO Fantasy Football. Record: 14-1

*takes podium to thank sponsors and fans*

This was an absolutely incredible season! It’s almost time to start preparing for the next one and I still haven’t fully processed the one we’re coming off. It’s still amazing to me that I actually won.
It was a mix of emerging understanding of how the league works and luck. I’m not going to lie, there was a lot of luck involved in how things fell into place.

It started with the draft. When I initially saw the results of autopick I was not pleased. I actually complained to a couple people that I would have made many different selections if I had been able to draft live. But in hindsight I have to eat those words. Autopick was what gave me the core that kickstarted what became such an unstoppable roster. Yes I would have gone with different players, and they would not have been as solid out of the gate as the ones autopick went with. I would have had another season like all the others, trying to manage all of the positions at once. What enabled my success this year was I could focus on just one or two positions, and improve bit by bit, because the general foundation was already set.
The main example of that was Brown. I wouldn’t have known to draft him, I had never heard of him, but autopick clearly knew and I am so thankful. He was the one who truly solidified my roster. He was the rock of my season, the guy I could rely on to always come through in the clutch. He didn’t show up big every game, but did in every game I needed him to. He never let me down. I had confidence playing him which meant I didn’t need to worry about that position, I could put my attention to figuring out the positions around him.

Another factor in this amazing season was the beginning emergence of a real understanding of how this all works. Each year I’ve gotten a better feel for it, but something was always just beyond my reach for having what I would call an actual understanding. I just had occasional feelings or thoughts of what I should do, they didn’t always work out because they weren’t always inline with how this actually operates. But this year, finally, something clicked. I didn’t become a fantasy football guru, there is still plenty I’m clueless about, but I finally opened the door. I wasn’t just semi-educated guessing my moves, I was making them with some level of confidence now. That meant I didn’t have to just go by feelings week to week; I could make a plan.
Defense and special teams is the position I have seemed to developed the best understanding of over the years, and this season it just went into another level. I don’t know how or why, but I really got it. I was able to form a solid plan for that position. It was actually such a comprehensive plan I was making moves several weeks in advance because I knew who I wanted to play when, so I set the wheels in motion early to be sure I would be able to. It felt really good to be able to have that kind of confidence in a position.

Then there were the combinations of understanding and luck. Like having a feeling I should pick up Beckham right before he went insane. I was confident that move would pay off, but I never imaged it would do so at such an extreme level. And then the Anderson pickup was just unbelievable good fortune; getting him right when he went off and piled up absolutely ridiculous numbers. That was what cemented my dominance. Anderson’s breakout, combined with Beckham’s monster games with Brown’s consistent solid performances underlying it all was simply too much to overcome for my opponents.

All of these events built on one another to develop into an incredible roster. It just worked out perfectly. The positions that were drafted well were set from the start so I could look to improving the others, forming the defensive plan took care of that position for the season so I could focus even narrower, I pretty much was able to just shore up a position, check it off, and turn attention to the next one. By the end of the season the result was that just about every one was confidently solid. There was virtually no maintenance needed to the roster this year, once I got a position down it was good to go.

Going back to the idea of forming long term plans due to increased understanding of the game, I made a couple notable strategic moves concerning running backs during the season. One worked out for me and one didn’t.
First was with Foster. I had gotten him in the draft and he was doing well for me, but then he got injured and missed some games. I held onto him over the downtime, but as he prepared to play again I had concerns over whether he would be able to immediately return to his previous high performance, so I made the decision to look elsewhere for the position. I had my eye on a couple guys I wanted to try working into my rotation, and to raise my chances of picking them up from waivers I dropped Foster with the express intent of him distracting another team that may possibly be looking at those guys I wanted, and they would go for him instead. And that’s exactly what happened; KF picked him up leaving the new players to me. It didn’t work out as I had hoped, as Foster of course did return to meet, and exceed, his previous performance becoming a beast down the stretch that I could have used to make my nigh unbeatable team actually unbeatable, while the players I picked up did okay but didn’t break out as well as I thought they would. But I wasn’t upset about it, I consciously made that decision and was fine living with the results. It worked out well enough in the end.
The other was sort of the opposite situation. I had picked up Ingram and he similarly started strong but then went out with injury. I knew I did want to replay him when he healed, but it was at a time when I was still moving some pieces around and couldn’t afford him taking up bench space while on IR, so I dropped him. I kept my attention on his recovery status though, and I grabbed him back up when he was nearing return, but still yet to have his status changed so he was under the radar of the other teams. I put him back in my lineup and while he had occasional struggles he played an important part in the rest of my season.
Making these kinds of consciously strategic moves made me feel good about how I was running the team. I wasn’t just guessing, I had a definite plan. It might not have always been a good one, but I had one.

It’s been a truly incredible journey. All I had hoped for this year was to have a good season with no stinging disappointments. Possibly make the playoffs for the first time. That’s all I wanted! If I had a season where I could say ‘I did my best’ I would be happy, regardless of the resulting record. I never imagined advancing in the playoffs should I make it in, and never would have even considered the possibility of winning the championship! I thought I was still a good few seasons away from that; I was still learning how to be good at this.
As I said though, everything simply fell into place perfectly. It genuinely could not have gone better. Absolutely everything, from acquisitions, to performances, even the schedule, went my way. To quote Drew Brees, it was all meant to be; it was all destiny.

Now that everything has settled and I can look back over it all, it is disappointing that I had that one loss. A perfect season isn’t something you even consider in fantasy football, that’s such an unlikely achievement even if you have a great team, there’s too much chance involved each week. But this year clearly it was a definite possibility. I can’t be upset about it though, because at least it wasn’t a situation where I played the wrong guy that week and it didn’t work out or anything like that, I did the absolute best I could, Laura simply did better. That’s how I want all my losses to be because there are no regrets then.

Finally, I would be remiss if my season review did not mention Eugene, whose team has become a true partner to my own, despite being competitors for success in the league.

Last year my relationship with Eugene’s team consisted of some trade assists and just general advice if we saw positions the other could be better at.
This year it went to a whole new level. No longer simply offering passing recommendations from time to time, this season I became personally invested in making him the best team he could be. I think it was partially because I had to do the least work I ever had this season on my own team as my lineup was pretty much set from the start, so I wanted to find somewhere else to make moves and improvements, but it was also because I truly want him to do well, we’ve formed a special connection in this.

I gave him some advice on shoring up his defense choices because that’s the one position I feel I have an actual understanding of as far as having real insight into what are going to be good or bad matchups and being able to make a long term plan. I was pleased to see those suggestions work out very well for him.
Then I looked to make a mutual improvement. I desperately needed a reliable TE, that was the one position that week in and out I just could not get rolling. I had two good ones, on paper, but I couldn’t get them to show up in the game. With that being my only serious concern on my roster, I explored the possibility of acquiring Gronk. I wanted to forget about trying to figure out the position and just get someone you didn’t have to think about so I could be done with it. Eugene was hesitant, as he should have been, because he realized what a serious concession that would be, but I knew I was proposing an even trade in the long run. His team would not rise or fall on a TE, he had deeper problems. He needed a better QB, badly. I knew Romo was on the verge of turning a huge corner, I could feel it, I knew this would be the boost his team needed. He wasn’t so sure, which I understood, but I literally begged him to make the change. I had a gut feeling inside me that it was something he just had to do. He finally agreed, and it came to pass as I had foreseen; Romo suddenly blew up and Eugene surged into the postseason.
As a result of the Gronk trade Eugene actually ended up in the exact same position I had been in before, of needing to decide between Bennett and Kelce at TE each week. Because I had been there for several weeks I had developed an insight into figuring out what to do, so I was able to share that with him and it worked quite well.
And lastly I was able to patch up the last remaining hole I saw in his lineup, the kicker. Bailey has always been my guy, he’s super solid, but this year I stumbled across Parkey who was actually doing even better. I kept Bailey around for a while in case it was just a passing phase of success, but Parkey stayed strong so I decided to stay with him and no longer needed Bailey taking bench space. Rather than immediately drop him I decided to give Eugene first chance if he wanted him since he was being more consistent than his kicker, and he did. And of course that one worked out well, there was never any doubt it would.

So I feel like I actually managed two juggernauts this season. My team became one mostly by accident. A lot of lucky draft picks and some chance acquisitions that turned out to be great. So I didn’t have to form it, I just maintained it. But then I made Eugene into one. He had a solid core, but there was room for improvement. I was able to identify the weaker areas and effectively bolster them. I showed myself that I am finally gaining an understanding of how this all works and the right way to do it. Between the involvement I had with both our teams I feel like I had a really complete season.

In League milestones I have:
Recorded the best start in League history (11-0).
Recorded the best final record in League history (14-1).
Become the first #1 seed to win our Championship.

And in general League news:
This is the first time the #3 seed has not won our Championship.
This evens the conferences up at two Championships each.
This continues the streak of having a new Champion each year (four teams in four seasons).

And I have pulled up to a winning career record!

I thank you all for an awesome season! Even if I hadn’t had such incredible success I would have enjoyed it just as much, this is something I look forward to all year. It is so much fun for me, but it wouldn’t be without you. I can’t do this on my own, we need multiple teams to make up the league. I hope you’ll all be back next season!

-- 06 Jul 2015 11:56 am --

My season recap:
Regular Season:
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 68-84
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 126-75
Week 3 - at American Eagles (AE) 80-63
Week 4 - at Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 127-83
Week 5 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 52-80
Week 6 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 115-91
Week 7 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 49-98
Week 8 - at Seattle King's (gia) 126-99
Week 9 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 80-115
Week 10 - vs American Eagles (AE) 124-120
Week 11 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 99-102
Week 12 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-137
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 66-120
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 135-32
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 56-103

Playoffs (#1 seed of 8):
Winner's Bracket - vs #4 Winoka Warriors (Laura) 79-128
Winner's Bracket Championship - vs #3 Bench Coolers (Eugene) 93-159
My record: 14-1 on the season (1st of 8), 2-0 playoffs, 16-1 overall
Career Record: 32-28 regular season, 7-1 playoffs, 39-29 overall

Individual Matchups:
This season:
2-0 against AE
2-0 against EK
3-0 against Eugene
3-0 against gia
2-0 against JC
2-0 against KF
2-1 against Laura

Career:
4-6 against AE
5-1 against EK
5-0 against Eugene
4-0 against gia
3-0 against JC
4-2 against JWS
5-6 against KF
3-7 against Laura
2-0 against Monty
1-1 against Skylerbuck
3-6 against SWA
(season 1 stats),(season 2 stats),(season 3 stats)

Final Standings:

EAST:
bookworm (14-1; 2-0)
Eugene (10-5; 1-1)
AE (6-9; 1-1)
gia (3-12; 0-2)

WEST:
JC (9-6; 1-1)
Laura (9-6; 1-1)
KF (5-10; 1-1)
EK (4-11; 2-0)

League Champion:
bookworm

-- 06 Jul 2015 11:56 am --

And lastly, some franchise news.

Because I have shown continued success with each year being better than the previous, management has decided to finally give the team a real name! \:D/ They weren’t sure when this all started whether it would be worth the effort of investing in licensing, but it has proven to be an establishment that is here to stay. (The decision was already made before I won the Championship, but I’m sure that didn’t hurt! ;) )

Beginning next season bookworm's team will be rebranded as the Blitzing Bookworms

These are our new helmets:

And this is the logo for media coverage:

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Woah, woah, woah. You're changing the name? :sniff:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

bookworm's team was never a real name, that was the default we were given when first created and it was just left. Management didn't choose it, they just never cared to change it. This was finally a good chance to join the ranks of the rest of our roster. We were the only team without a real name, it made us appear less professional a league than we are.