ToO Annual Fantasy Football - Year 4!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The point that that is how the official NFL stat keepers do it.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

And it looks like Laura is actually going to end Bookworms winning streak.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am stoked. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This is the week 13 playoff hunt sponsored by my headache. \:D/ I'll get to seeding later.

Let's go from the bottom up.

The Seattle King's (2-10) have been eliminated by virtue of their record. They are five games back with 3 to go.

The American Eagles (4-8) are three games behind Winoka. They have been eliminated by losing the series split 0-2 thus giving the tie breaker to WW.

The Gainesville Behemoths are three games behind Winoka IF GB wins out and WW loses out (Records will be tied but final game of the season is against each other.) AND they either outscore the Texas Staleys by 98 points in the next three games (Second tie breaker by virtue of the GB vs TS season split being 1-1) OR The Texas Staleys lose one game they will make the playoffs as the fourth seed.

The Texas Staleys are three games behind Winoka. IF TS wins out and WW loses out AND they either maintain their tie breaker of total points against GB (currently +97) OR GB loses one game AND They score at least 31 more points than WW in the next 3 games they will make the playoffs as the fourth seed.

The Winoka Warriors (7-5) are currently the 4th seed. With a win in any of the final three games OR a loss by BOTH GB and TS they will clinch a playoff spot.

The Bench Coolers (8-4) are currently the 3rd seed. They have clinch a playoff spot by virtue of their record.

The Constantinople Chrysostoms (8-4) are currently the 2nd seed. They have clinch a playoff spot by virtue of their record.

The bookworm's team (sic) are currently the 1st seed. They have clinch a playoff spot by virtue of their record.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 12:
Player Moves:

Benched Bryant for Ellington
Benched Brown for LaFell
Benched Dolphins D for Colts D
Benched Blue for Anderson
Dropped Colts D/ST for Packers D/ST, played Packers D/ST
Dropped LaFell for Josh Gordon (CLE) WR, played Gordon
Benched Kelce for Bennett
Dropped Kelce for Charles Clay (MIA) TE
Benched Bennett for Clay
Benched Clay for Bennett
Dropped Clay for Odell Beckham Jr. (NYG) WR
Benched Ellington for Blue

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 19
Mark Ingram - 3
C.J. Anderson - 24
Alfred Blue - 6
Jordy Nelson - 6
Josh Gordon - 12
Martellus Bennett - 3
Packers D/ST - 4
Cody Parkey - 20
Total: 97

Laura:
Drew Brees - 27
Alfred Morris - 18
Trent Richardson - 10
Anquan Boldin - 19
Demaryius Thomas - 26
DeAndre Hopkins - 3
Jimmy Graham - 16
Patriots D/ST - 7
Stephen Gostkowski - 11
Total: 137
-- 25 Nov 2014 03:06 pm --

The streak had to end some time.
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 68-84
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 126-75
Week 3 - at American Eagles (AE) 80-63
Week 4 - at Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 127-83
Week 5 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 52-80
Week 6 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 115-91
Week 7 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 49-98
Week 8 - at Seattle King's (gia) 126-99
Week 9 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 80-115
Week 10 - vs American Eagles (AE) 124-120
Week 11 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 99-102
Week 12 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-137
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF)
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK)
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia)
This week was absolutely incredible!
We ended up exactly tied going into Monday, which blew my mind because I thought for sure it was over when her guy got three touchdowns Sunday afternoon. I just couldn’t imagine I had kept pace anywhere near that, because there were huge disappointments by several of my players Sunday, while every one of hers showed up big.
The most upsetting was Blue. With Foster still out I stayed with him, every source had him as an unquestioned lock for a huge game, but he didn’t even manage to get one third of his projection. Absolute disaster. Combining this with the other various underplays from the day and I was sure I was in a big hole because her players were consistently putting up double digits. An insane game from my kicker though apparently made up for all of that, making the deciding factor the Bronco showdown.
She had Thomas in the air, I had Anderson on the ground. The one that got the edge in that game would almost certainly take the weekend. As I said, Thomas got three tds so I thought it was over for sure, but Anderson had a huge ground game plus a td of his own, so in the end they both had absolutely monster games and in fact I only ended behind by two points, making the overall score tied.
So we went into Monday night all even, I with one more to play and Laura with two. Usually not a mismatch you would have a chance in, but because of who the players yet to go turned out to be I did actually have a shot. It was a very long shot, but it was possible. I had the Saints RB, she had their QB and TE. So if the TE got injured early and went out, or if he was a nonfactor in the passing game, which has happened before this season, that left a one on one showdown. If they ran the ball more than they passed it so I got the edge in yardage, and if every touchdown was on a run so I got them and she didn’t, I could still win it. That didn’t happen of course, but it could have, you never know.

There’s absolutely no shame in finally losing for the first time 12 games in. Especially in the way I lost; it wasn’t a misstep on my part, I could not have set my lineup any better, I gave it my absolute best effort, the players simply had all around bad days. So there’s no second guessing, I have no regrets. I did the very best I could, my players were all solid on paper, it just didn’t work out.

That said, this week could have easily gone differently.
As I said, the major factor in our matchup was the Bronco showdown. The dead heat between our players in that game was what kept the score even and put everything on Monday night. But there were three key moments in this game that could have changed everything.
1) One of Thomas’s tds was on a redo. On the first play someone else had caught the score, but it was called back on a penalty and the play was then changed to throw to Thomas.
2) Denver had the ball right outside the goalline with time winding down, surely planning to run the ball to keep it ticking and try to punch in for the score, but for reasons unknown they go ahead and throw it for the touchdown. I don’t understand why, it didn’t make sense in the context of the game. If they had run it that would have been a second td for Anderson.
3) With the game in hand and the Broncos just running out the clock, they hand off to Anderson who breaks through the defense and dashes down the field. As he closes on the end zone, he decides to give himself up instead of trying to break for the score so they can kneel out the rest of the time. The smart move, I guess, football wise, but another would-be td for him off the board.
If any one of these had happened, either Thomas would be down one of his tds or Anderson would have had another. If any two of these had happened, either our players would have had two tds each, or we would have had three each. And if all three of these had happened, the edge would have gone to me with three tds to two.
This is why nothing is ever a sure thing in Fantasy Football, everything depends on the exact circumstances of the exact moment of each play of each game.

Now, because her QB ended up also having a monster game Monday night the possible Bronco variations would not have made a difference in the ultimate outcome alone, but in conjunction with another possible change they would have.
I was considering switching Ingram out for Beckham before Sunday night but found myself unable to do so which upset me because it should have been possible. My original lineup was 3 RBs 2 WRs, making the swap would have shifted it to 2 RBs 3 WRs, a valid format, but I was unable to make the change because the RB/WR position was locked, Ingram was in a RB-only slot. I did not realize that the exact slots were what determined the lineup, I thought it was only the number of players you had at each position. That is, I should have been able to switch my RB yet to play out for a WR yet to play and the system would just figure out it was a valid move because I should have been able to shift my 2-3 balance even though the specific slot for the variable position was occupied by a locked player.
I am very glad I found out about this quirk in case it comes into play in a later week when it actually would have made a difference. As it was this week, it was frustrating but didn’t end up costing me a victory - most likely. In a what-if world it may have, because Beckham had a monster game Sunday night so if I had switched him in and the Bronco variations had gone my way, I believe I would have ended up winning the matchup by one point. That’s a lot of supposition though, dealing strictly with confirmed numbers I still would have lost, just by not as much, so again it didn’t ultimately make a difference, though it could have had a few things gone differently.

Congratulations to Laura on a great matchup, now it’s on to next week. No regrets, no dejection, just moving forward.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Am I understanding correctly that bookworm traded Dan Bailey for nothing?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:Am I understanding correctly that bookworm traded Dan Bailey for nothing?
I did. Eugene could use him and I didn't need to keep him around, but I didn't need anything for him either, I was done with him anyway. So I just passed him to the Coolers instead of dropping him because of our team trade partnership.
Also it was sort of a followup booster to the Gronk trade to be completely sure that one was equally beneficial to both of us.

-- 05 Dec 2014 01:41 pm --

Week 13:
Player Moves:

Benched Blue for Brown
Benched Anderson for Ellington
Benched Packers D/ST for Dolphins D/ST
Benched Ingram for Anderson
Dropped Packers D/ST for Andrew Quarless (GB) TE
Dropped Rivera for Jermaine Gresham (CIN) TE
Benched Bennett for Quarless
Dropped Gresham for Tony Romo (DAL) QB
Trade with Eugene: Tony Romo and Martellus Bennett for Rob Gronkowski (NE) TE
Benched Quarless for Gronkowski
Added Isaiah Crowell (CLE) RB
Dropped Blue for Steelers D/ST

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 24
Andre Ellington - 1
C.J. Anderson - 23
Antonio Brown - 23
Jordy Nelson - 11
Josh Gordon - 7
Rob Gronkowski - 9
Dolphins D/ST - 7
Cody Parkey - 15
Total: 120

KF:
Russell Wilson - 16
Arian Foster - 15
Jeremy Hill - 5
Denard Robinson - 5
Brandon Marshall - 4
A.J. Green - 11
Greg Olsen - 5
Bears D/ST - -2
Adam Vinatieri - 7
Total: 66
-- 05 Dec 2014 01:41 pm --

Bounced back big time!
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 66-120
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK)
There were no special circumstances to mention this week, it was just a straightforward occasion of the guys showing up like they’re supposed to. This was quite possibly the best single game my team has ever had. It wasn’t the highest scoring ever, but that’s not how you measure quality because you can score high if a few players have monster games while others have bad ones. I say this is the best because every player put up a great performance, this is the most solid scoring across the lineup that I can remember seeing. Every guy had a great day. The one exception being that Ellington went out with an injury before he could do anything, but had he played I believe he would have had a solid performance as well because he had a favorable matchup. And it speaks to the solidity of the other performances that having that injury eliminate a position not only didn’t affect the outcome of the week, but never even put it in question. When all the other guys show up like this you should be able to lose one and still get the win. It was a really great week.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

As the unofficial promoter of ToO fantasy rivalries I'd like to propose a scheduling change. As things currently stand bookworm has locked in the No. 1 seed. The Bench Coolers have locked in the No. 3 seed by virtue of having the head to head tie breaker against both CC and WW. Therefore going into the final game of the regular season only two things are up for grabs. The battle for the West division and the No. 2 seed as opposed to the No. 4 seed between CC and WW. And the battle for 5th seed and minimal bragging rights between me and AE.

Therefore if the matchups were changed from how they are currently scheduled to CC vs WW, TS vs AE, and BC vs GB there would be meaningful games instead of it potentially coming down to a Total Points this season tie breaker. Thoughts?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m firmly against changing schedules after the start of the season, even though I totally understand your reason for suggesting it. I’m just not comfortable with the idea.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Although I like the idea, at this point it is just too late. Altering the match-ups could impact the playoffs in one way or another, and I don't think that's fair to everyone.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, it will affect everyone sooner or later. For example it wouldn't change my final regular season matchup, I'd be going against gia either way, but it could change who I face in the playoffs later on.

We've had this situation before, I believe, and let it go to the tiebreaker. We shouldn't start changing things now. Thanks for suggesting it anyway though KF, I like that you're on top of things like this.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Yeah I'm rather against the idea myself since it could effect seeding. It just had to be brought up for posterity's sake.

Also big congrats to E II for having the highest score in a game this year and tying the second highest score ever in the league at 166.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Couldn't have saved that for the playoffs?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, I was just about to make note of that - way to go Eugene! :D I’m really happy for you, and a bit proud of myself since my advice of late on several players helped this come about.

-- 11 Dec 2014 02:58 pm --

Week 14:
Player Moves:

Benched Ellington for Ingram
Benched Gordon for Beckham
Benched Dolphins D/ST for Steelers D/ST
Trade to Eugene: Dan Bailey
Dropped Bryant
Dropped Quarless
Dropped Crowell
Dropped Dolphins D/ST
Added Brandon LaFell (NE) WR
Added Kenny Stills (NO) WR
Added Stedman Bailey (STL) WR
Added Jonathan Stewart (CAR) RB
Dropped Steelers D/ST for Vikings D/ST, played Vikings D/ST
Added Davante Adams (GB) WR
Dropped Adams for LeGarrette Blount (NE) RB

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 27
Mark Ingram - 3
C.J. Anderson - 23
Odell Beckham Jr. - 19
Jordy Nelson - 26
Antonio Brown - 11
Rob Gronkowski - 14
Vikings D/ST - 10
Cody Parkey - 2
Total: 135

EK:
Colin Kaepernick - 8
LeSean McCoy - 3
Stevan Ridley - 0 (IR)
C.J. Spiller - 0 (IR)
Dez Bryant - 8
Emmanuel Sanders - 6
Delanie Walker - 2
49ers D/ST - 1
Justin Tucker - 4
Total: 32
-- 11 Dec 2014 02:58 pm --

Talk about a blowout!
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 135-32
I posted my highest score of the season to win this matchup by over 100 points! To put it in perspective though, it was against EK. So I wasn’t going up against a tuned lineup, the huge margin of victory doesn’t mean as much as it would against someone else. But that said, even a matchup with EK isn’t always a lock win, we saw the shocker Week 12 where EK played not just one but two people out on IR and somehow still managed to beat Eugene’s solid team! O.o
So there is some echoing of JC from a few weeks back of why did I have my best week ever the one week I needed the least effort ever, but I’ll take it. In the fluke event EK had another chance surge it’s better to put up a stronger game than you needed to than to not go all in and come up lacking.

And this incredible score could have been even higher as the week saw huge disappointments from two of my guys that are usually very solid. Everyone around them had monster efforts thus the giant final score in spite of those shortcomings, but I shudder to think what the week may have looked like had they joined the showing by meeting their potential. I would have finished right around Eugene’s score I believe, so he may have barely hung on to the Most Points award but we both would have shattered the previous level.

One game to go in the regular season and I’ve not only clinched a playoff berth for the first time ever but I’m locked in at #1. This is unbelievable; I can’t even process it, so I’m not trying to. There will be time for everything to sink in after the season, right now no distractions. Just keep focusing on one week at a time.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The 2014 ToO Fantasy Football Playoffs begins!

1. #1 bookworm vs #4 Laura Ingalls
  2. #2 John Chrysostom vs #3 E II

The winner of our final four is the season champion! \:D/

Note: Laura Ingalls is the only member of the final four who is a previous champion.

The teams that just missed out (with records):
  • #5 American Eagle (6-9)
    #6 Knight Fisher (5-10)
    #7 EK (4-11)
    #8 godisawesomeness99 (3-12)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I have a feeling I'm dead.

But hey, my team is the only one to beat bookworm so far this season...it is possible! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 15:
Player Moves:

Benched Ingram for Stewart
Dropped Ellington
Dropped Bailey
Added Seahawks D/ST
Added Ravens D/ST
Benched Vikings D/ST for Seahawks D/ST

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 5
C.J. Anderson - 9
Jonathan Stewart - 5
Odell Beckham Jr. - 30
Jordy Nelson - 5
Antonio Brown - 12
Rob Gronkowski - 15
Seahawks D/ST - 11
Cody Parkey - 11
Total: 103

gia:
Andrew Luck - 14
Chris Ivory - 8
Tre Mason - 1
James Jones - 11
Jeremy Maclin - 9
Donte Moncrief - 0
Jared Cook - 2
Rams D/ST - 6
Steven Hauschka - 5
Total: 56
-- 19 Dec 2014 01:08 pm --

I cap off the regular season with another win, though I was worried for a little bit.
Regular Season:
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 135-32
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 56-103

Playoffs (#1 seed of 8):
Winner's Bracket - vs #4 Winoka Warriors (Laura)
My Packers did their level best to try to send me into the playoffs with a loss. Rodgers had by far his worst game of the season in fact quite possibly the worst game of his entire career (though it wasn’t actually because he played poorly, it was mostly his receivers deciding to drop every pass he tried to send them), and Nelson was a nearly complete nonfactor. Other positions holding solid and an absolutely monster game from Beckham (I am so glad I picked him up on a hunch a few weeks back!) held on to victory though. Not that losing would have meant anything, this was an entirely ‘meaningless’ week objectively; for the team though you really want to win every game. And even though there’s no such thing as momentum in fantasy football, it is nice when you have a streak going.

And I have earned another trophy by virtue of my record!

Regular Season Victor
For having the best record throughout the regular season! Record: 14-1

I didn’t even realize this was a thing; it was a wonderful surprise! Now even if I don’t go all the way I still come away from this season a winner, my success has been duly recognized and rewarded.
And here’s something interesting to note: I have now received awards for being the absolute worst and absolute best team in the League, not just in the season they were awarded, but of all time. The 2-13 record that earned The Fail Award in our first year remains the worst record recorded in League history, and this 14-1 record is the best ever recorded. My team has truly seen it all.

So now my team enters the Winner’s Bracket for the first time ever and our first game is a rematch with Laura to avenge my only loss this season. You can’t really script it much better than that.
I really want the Final this year to be me and Eugene, so we both have to win this week!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This week is going to be awesome. KF vs. myself, bookworm vs. Laura, and John vs. EII are all projected to be decided by 10 or less points. Anyone can win! \:D/

Except EK. He doesn't seem to have much going for him since he ditched in October...

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:all projected to be decided by 10 or less points.
Mine isn't anymore; I wasn't done making moves. ;)
It is still anyone's game in theory though since as Laura said she is the only team to have beaten me. It's conceivable she could do it again.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Boooo, my team did badly today! :insane: I needed them all to have great games to have a chance...

Hey, I still have Demaryius Thomas left, maybe he'll have a MONSTER night with like 6 TDs and 150 yds! \:D/

....or maybe not.