Super Bowl XLIX

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Super Bowl XLIX

Post by bookworm »

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Discussion thread for Super Bowl XLIX, New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks!

Second year in a row it has been the #1 teams from both conference, and second year in a row one is the Seahawks.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I'm rooting for the Patriots, I guess. \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There is no way I can root for the Patriots so the Seahawks win my support by default.
I would have gone with them anyway if it had been versus the Colts though. Once the Packers went out I had no reason to really care about any of the teams left (and I don’t hold a grudge against Seattle for beating them so they aren’t prevented from getting my support), so like last year it would have been a matter of listing out points for both teams and just going with whoever had the most. In this case I have no real draw to the Colts, but I kind of like Pete Caroll, have since he was at USC, and it would be neat to finally have a repeat champion again, so I would have more reason to cheer Seattle than Indianapolis.
Again though, since the Colts didn’t win the reasoning is all moot; it now has to be the Seahawks simply because it can’t be the Patriots.

I actually had things pretty much set before these championship games were even played. After seeing how the division games went last week I declared two things without having to see any of this week’s action. One, the Patriots were definitely going to win this week and be in the Super Bowl for the AFC. Two, whichever NFC team went, they would beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That was my feeling from seeing how all the teams played then, and I still feel that way. So after the anomaly that was last season, the team I am rooting for is once more also the team I do think will win. Will my streak continue?
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I don't like the Seahawks at all, so I'm rooting for the Patriots. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I greatly dislike the Patriots... but the same team winning twice in a row is boring and I prefer the AFC overall so, I'm lacklusterly for the Patriots. I'd much rather it be the Colts but LOL at the Colts last night.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I willl probably go for the Patriots. The only game I have watched this season was the Seahawks vs Packers which was an interesting game. My mom thinks it is all a conspiracy and is all planned out from the beginning on who will iwn and lose. There is no skill or luck only what hte rich people want.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Patriots apparently cheated in the Conference Championship. What a surprise.
Good thing that wasn’t a real factor in their win; but another reason to root against them.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Ugh, yeah, hard to cheer them on now.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I agree. Because I have no previous affiliation with the Patriots. I am going to go for the Seahawks who had a underserved but amazing comeback.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Uh seahawks forever. My dad is again being a doubter and this gives me a good feeling, because he Is almost always wrong.
Last edited by E II on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am confused
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Going into the championship round I was just planning on rooting for the winner of the AFC. However after that comeback by the Seahawks... Eh, as much as I dislike them they beat the Packers so I'll probably go with them.

Anyone know when they start leaking the commercials? \:D/

EDIT: Well. That was a finish.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have no words.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yay! I'm happy. ;) I've been following on nfl.com on a smartphone, so I didn't get to actually watch it. But I saw that there was an interception right at the end. I'm glad the Seahawks lost. :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I really couldn't care less who won.. BUT my dad was rooting for the Patriots. The end of the game was ridiculous.. from the insane catch by the Seahawks to the interception by the Patriots. Heh, wow.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

If you didn't see it watch the catch leading up to the interception Laura. It was unbelievable.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I still can't believe both of those plays...
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

After the game I was in absolute stunned silence, I could not believe what I had just witnessed, but I’ve processed what happened now and can give my thoughts and reactions.

I am quite surprised by how well I’m taking this. I expected to be absolutely sick over it, but I’m really not. I had no personal stake in this, really, either way. I had a definite side to root for, but not because I actively wanted the Seahawks themselves to win, I just didn’t want the Patriots to. And that’s why this isn’t really coming off as a big letdown for me. It’s one thing if you’re wanting a team to win and they don’t, that’s disappointing. But when you’re just not wanting a team to win and they do, it is what it is. It doesn’t personally affect me whether the Patriots get this win or not, the only reason I didn’t want them to was because I don’t like them. But so what, teams you don’t like are going to win sometimes. You don’t enjoy it, but it’s not really a huge deal. So while I definitely would have preferred it turn out differently, it’s not tearing me up.
In fact, if the Patriots had to win this is probably the best case scenario, a win they absolutely did not deserve, one they didn’t even win, the opponent had to hand it over to them.

I even accept the end of my winner picking streak without major disappointment. It’s actually more relieving than upsetting for it to finally end, because having that unbroken string hanging over each postseason is a lot of pressure.

I do have to say though, it would have been the greatest thing ever if New England had lost another Super Bowl due to an unbelievable catch!

I think it would have been better for the NFL in the long run if Seattle had completed the comeback though, because now we’ll never have the end of ‘Yeah but Deflategate! They cheated to get to the Super Bowl they shouldn’t have even been there in the first place!’ and if punishment eventually gets handed out ‘Why did they wait until after the Super Bowl, they should have been punished sooner!’ And those are valid remarks. It’s going to forever cloud what would otherwise go down in history as an amazing game. It’s just an all around mess. It would have been way easier to just let the winner be if it had been Seattle.

I scoffed when Brady got the MVP. Are you kidding me? Hands down the most valuable player was the guy that got that interception! The game is over without him! (Though not because of him exactly, it’s over because they never should have thrown it... but strictly in context of what went down he was definitely most valuable.)

And how about the first ever ejection from a Super Bowl? That ending was absolute insanity.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I still can't believe Wilson threw it instead of running it.

That was sheer stupidity.

But hey, ;) , I've never played in the Super Bowl so I can't judge. Hindsight is 20/20. But still, how was he supposed to know Butler was there to intercept....
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To be fair to Wilson this is what he saw.

And it really wasn't his call. Nobody is quite sure whether it was Carroll or Bevell.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s still on Wilson at some level because no one forced him to go with the play that was called. Peyton Manning or one of those other QBs with ‘veto power’ would have gotten the play called in, realized it didn’t make sense, and handed the ball off.
But I definitely fault whoever called the play more than him for executing it, for sure. It should have never entered their minds to try a throw. They’re on 2nd down inside the 1 - you punch at it with Lynch three times and one of them is going to get in, there’s no doubt.