Liberland

A new state in Eroupe

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Liberland

Post by Moontide »

Apparently, someone is exploiting an unclaimed plot of land in eastern Europe to start a new state (aka country or nation). It seems that this sort of thing would last very long, but then again Europe does have five other microstates. It appears to be another attempt at a libertarian state.
More information on Liberland: http://liberland.org/en/about/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Is anybody filling out the citizenship application form that's in the link Moontide shared? \:D/ This is kind of fun. I hadn't heard about Liberland at all before.I'd be curious to know how long and how well they will exist!
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

I thought about applying for citizenship, but I don't really want to be involved if things go badly. Then again, if you are looking for a second citizenship and can't afford to buy it, then this might be a good chance.
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

This is actually a thing? 0_____0

Does the country get its own royalty? Can countries really just be started?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Yes it really is a thing. A countries can be just started. The trick is getting other counties to recognize your existence. Micronations are little nations of varying seriousness that people have just started.
Last edited by Moontide on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

Huh. Interesting. Do you need money to get it started? Or can you just buy land and declare it independent and free?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

As long as you don't defy the laws of the country that your new nation is based in, you should get away with it even if you don't own the land. Just declare some land a country and poof you have a country--sorta. Getting some other micronations to recognize you shouldn't be too difficult, but you won't get a UN seat or anything.

The Liberland people found some land that wasn't claimed by any nation and declared that a nation. Nation of Celestial Space (a less serious project) claims the entire universe minus the earth.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Moontide wrote:It seems that this sort of thing would last very long, but then again Europe does have five other microstates.
Oh, it can last a long time. Behold, SMOM, population 3. And this discussion wouldn't be complete without the always fun Sealand.