Food You Hate

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I see your point Miss Kendall...mushrooms and onions are actually the worst. The texture alone, of slippery onions and lumpy mushrooms...it's enough to make me gag.
Besides that, I had a sibling tell me mushrooms are gourmet maggots... :no:
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I actually will eat everything that is set before me, and since I am not allergic to any foods whatsoever, there is nothing I absolutely refuse to eat. However, I don't prefer cauliflower of any kind, nor meatloaf or steak. I could probably list off a few more if I thought for awhile.
Yo
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Mariogeek wrote:I actually will eat everything that is set before me, and since I am not allergic to any foods whatsoever, there is nothing I absolutely refuse to eat. However, I don't prefer cauliflower of any kind, nor meatloaf or steak. I could probably list off a few more if I thought for awhile.
Same here, I'm not picky, really. I just prefer certain foods over others. Cauliflower is amazing in my opinion, though I don't particularly like most meats...
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I remember disliking canned spinach when I was a kid, and I don't think my perception is likely to have changed much over the last 18 years. Also, there was some kind of fruit or vegetable I tried out a while back -- papaya, I think -- and I couldn't finish it. Besides that, though, I can't think of many foods I dislike very strongly.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Bob wrote:I remember disliking canned spinach when I was a kid, and I don't think my perception is likely to have changed much over the last 18 years. Also, there was some kind of fruit or vegetable I tried out a while back -- papaya, I think -- and I couldn't finish it. Besides that, though, I can't think of many foods I dislike very strongly.
Canned food is not known for being tasty. And Papayas are a bit tricky, it's important to eat one at the perfect time. Otherwise they're measly. =;
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I don't enjoy eating cauliflower either, regardless of whether it's steamed, roasted, or raw.

When I was a little Tea Ess, my mother would make spinach pie, which had the most unpleasant texture I've ever experienced. This is the closest thing I could find to her recipe.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Tea Ess wrote:I don't enjoy eating cauliflower either, regardless of whether it's steamed, roasted, or raw.

When I was a little Tea Ess, my mother would make spinach pie, which had the most unpleasant texture I've ever experienced. This is the closest thing I could find to her recipe.
Hm...though I am a fan of spinach, that pie doesn't look appetizing. Poor Tea Ess. :boohoo:

When I was a little Joe my mother had this one dish she made every week, I couldn't tell you the name. It was a ham and rosemary casserole, filled in with layers of fried camembert cheese. The texture was slick and smooth, the cheese always was tough to chew though, and I grew worried about when we'd have it for dinner. :sick:
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Poor little Tea_Ess :(

When I was a little Connie (like last week) my grandma would make this tuna casserole with potato chips on top, and the onions weren't fried before they were put in, and the middle was always cold :anxious: anyway, not the best thing ever... :P
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Connie G. wrote:Poor little Tea_Ess :(

When I was a little Connie (like last week) my grandma would make this tuna casserole with potato chips on top, and the onions weren't fried before they were put in, and the middle was always cold :anxious: anyway, not the best thing ever... :P
Eww...leftovers. Those are a risky thing.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I can usually eat whatever is set before me. I can't remember a time when I absolutely couldn't eat what I was given. So there are things I don't like but will eat if given to me. Usually it's the fruit I mentioned earlier or something with mushrooms but I can still eat it. I just won't enjoy it very much.

Now that I think about it, there are times when I can be picky but that's when I just can't handle certain tastes at the moment. There will be times I'm either sick or salty or sweet stuff... Or rather stuff rich in flavor and I just want something light such as fruit (that I like) or a salad. It's never happened when I'm at someone's home yet though so that's good.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Bumping, because I have A LOT TO SAY about this topic, and I also want money.

Balsamic vinegar. It smells horrible and tastes just as bad. We should be using it as a cleaner or something and not in salad dressings.

American cheese. The plastic kind, not the actual cheese, which is nice when you need a good melting cheese.

Literally anything with mayonnaise. Potato salad and coleslaw are at the top of this list.

Ugli fruit. The sourest thing I have ever eaten. It tastes like battery acid.

Anything flavored like bacon that is not actually bacon.

Those lime flavored tortilla chips. They don’t even taste like lime, and they have the worst aftertaste.

Bananas that are too ripe. Bananas are ideal to eat immediately after they’re not completely green, and only go downhill from there.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I've gotten over most of my food dislikes as I've gotten older (e.g., avocado, hummus, peppers), but my mom used to make this thing called Texas Quiche, and the thought of it still makes me feel queasy. It was pretty similar to this recipe, except it didn't have sausage or potatoes in it, so it was pretty much just cheese, chiles, eggs, and milk. I normally enjoy eggs, but somehow this had a texture that was both rubbery and watery, and every once in a while you would unexpectedly bite into a piece of chile and... ugh. I think my mom enjoyed it, and it took many years of my siblings and me begging on our knees for her to finally discontinue it.
Tea Ess wrote:Literally anything with mayonnaise. Potato salad and coleslaw are at the top of this list.

Anything flavored like bacon that is not actually bacon.
Rats. Now what am I supposed to do with your Christmas present? :(
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

- Any vegetable that has been cooked with steam. This includes broccoli, carrots- literally anything.

- Blueberries

- Mashed potatoes. It's not the taste it's the texture. If I wanted to eat baby food, I would have stayed an infant.
he/him | a little stinker.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I know it's a slight bump, but we have new members so I figure it's better than a new topic.
Petrichor wrote:I've gotten over most of my food dislikes as I've gotten older
I don't think I'll ever get over my dislike of lettuce. My work changed our breakfast burrito mix and included peppers. I don't do spicy so I have only tried 1
Last edited by Bren on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

Toads. Hate em'. :sick:
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I have gotten over most of my dislikes as I've gotten older, but one that will never go away is my intense hatred of tomatoes. i am fine with tomato soup ketchup etc, but tomato slices or chunks are a big no from me :shame:
I am confused
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

E II wrote:I have gotten over most of my dislikes as I've gotten older, but one that will never go away is my intense hatred of tomatoes. i am fine with tomato soup ketchup etc, but tomato slices or chunks are a big no from me :shame:
My brother is the same! He eats ketchup and tomato soup with great enthusiasm but will pick a tomato slice out of a burger. They are different tastes and textures. Do you know if it's more the texture that bothers you? I'm that way with mangoes. I love mango flavoured stuff but not actual mangoes, and I blame the texture.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I try not to be a picky person in general and I will eat almost anything you give me out of politeness. Except maybe sardines. And most nuts because I'm deathly allergic and therefore detest them.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Catspaw wrote:
E II wrote:I have gotten over most of my dislikes as I've gotten older, but one that will never go away is my intense hatred of tomatoes. i am fine with tomato soup ketchup etc, but tomato slices or chunks are a big no from me :shame:
My brother is the same! He eats ketchup and tomato soup with great enthusiasm but will pick a tomato slice out of a burger. They are different tastes and textures. Do you know if it's more the texture that bothers you? I'm that way with mangoes. I love mango flavoured stuff but not actual mangoes, and I blame the texture.
Yeah, for me it is mostly the texture, it just really bothers my mouth for some reason. tomato soup is probably my favorite soup, but you give me a vegetable medley, i will locate any tomatoes hiding in there. I am thinking that tomatoes are my only food dislike that wasnt just mental. onions, peppers, mushrooms etc. i like now, but tomatoes i dont think i ever will
I am confused
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Sushi is the worst. It makes me sick sometimes just looking at it. :sick:

Also, raw tomatoes. They make me gag. I can eat tomatoes in most other forms just fine though.