Stanley Cup Playoff Live Chats

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Stanley Cup Playoff Live Chats

Post by bookworm »

I set up a channel in the Chatroom for live chatting the Stanley Cup Playoffs! \:D/
Join #Stanley if you're able to be online while you watch, especially if you are rooting for either team! If you are watching but can't chat during the game you can at least check in during intermissions!

For now just drop by when a game is on and see if anyone else is there, we'll get more organized and hopefully have progressively more attendance as the rounds advance.
I thought this was a lot of fun last year, hopefully people come by again!

Schedule of games, times, and channels
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'll be watching a bunch of games, though I'm rarely online as I watch. I might follow the suggestion of checking in during intermissions, however. Yay hockey. \:D/
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

Go, Islanders! we should do an NHL Bracket contest ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I made my bracket at nhl.com already, but I think you can make groups or join a group even after you've made your bracket, so that might be fun.

I did not pick the Islanders to win. :noway:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was going to put the bracket group in the Fantasy Hockey forum as is customary, but if there is outside interest I can post it here also for people to join if they wish. I'm not going to hype it like March Madness, but if someone wants in they're certainly welcome.

Edit:

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/#/league/179979
Password: odyssey
Last edited by bookworm on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Haha, I also started a bracket group last night but hadn't had a chance to post it yet. Oh well. ;)

Don't have the link now, but it is toohl with odyssey as the password. Heh.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, I'm part of both groups now! At least I think I am. I joined both groups, and I had already previously made my bracket so I thought it would just automatically make that my entry in each group, but I'm not totally sure. When somebody else clicks on my name, does it show that I've completed my entry, or does it look blank? :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I knew you usually made the group Laura, and was waiting to see if you did again, but hadn't heard anything and we were running out of time. Didn't mean to step on your toes. Yours has more people as I hoped/expected so I'll delete mine and relink my post to that group.

I can't see your bracket Catspaw, but probably just because they're hidden until the games start. When I joined the other group my bracket automatically carried over. :yes:
Though I noticed in the original group my score was a line of zeroes, in the new one it was a line of dashes. That made me wonder, so I changed the name of my bracket to be sure, and the name of my entry changed in both groups and both scores then showed zeroes. So you can do that too if you want to be certain you're good to go. :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Oh that's perfectly fine, you didn't step on my toes. :D I was just procrastinating getting it up. Bad Laura!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Hurrah for 2nd overtimes at 1 am.

EDIT: Worth it.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Red Wings go out in the first round! :cry: And thereby my bracket is already finished also. I knew there was no way they would make a serious run this year, but I couldn't not pick them. I really need to start doing two brackets, one for how I wish it would go and a realistic one so I actually have a chance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I picked Detroit too for the first round, and it was the only upset I picked. I thought with Stamkos being out for the series and other injuries that it was possible, and it was exactly twenty years ago in the playoffs that I became a Red Wings fan, so I really wanted them to win. I didn't believe in them quite enough to pick them to go much further ;) but I really thought that they could make it past the Lightning.

The Penguins were awesome in the second period today! That was some really great hockey. Sorry, Rangers fans. (I have nothing against the Rangers, but I did pick the Penguins to beat them.)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wasn't it the Lightning that knocked them out last year too?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, it was, but that took 7 games, and I feel like there was some OT in there too. Sometimes a team just has your number. The Lightning are a good team, and I don't dislike them - I just have to cheer for the Red Wings!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is it! Pittsburgh Penguins vs San Jose Sharks for the Stanley Cup!
Pick a side and join the chat! #Stanley

Schedule:
Game 1: May 30
Game 2: June 1
Game 3: June 4
Game 4: June 6
Game 5: June 9 - if needed
Game 6: June 12 - if needed
Game 7: June 15 - if needed

Apparently this year they arranged the tv schedule so it won't be a possibility for people who don't get NBCSN to miss the final game like in the past. NBC used to do the first two, then two on NBCSN, then the rest back on NBC. That meant if a team swept, the winning game was only on cable. But this year I read that the first game is on NBC, then the second is NBCSN. Then the other cable game will depend on how the series goes. If it's tied 1-1 the third game will be on NBC and NBCSN will do the fourth. If it's at 2-0 NBCSN does the third and NBC gets the fourth and potentially final. I really appreciate that. Games 5 to 7 will all be on NBC if needed.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woohoo! Should be a great series. Unfortunately, I have a meeting Monday evening (where the date was picked months ago) and I'll be lucky to make it home in time for the third period, so I for sure won't be on the chat then, but maybe for a later game.

I really like both teams and haven't entirely picked a side yet. Sometimes it's really easy to choose, but not in this case. I'll be fine with either team winning, but it's still more fun to have one team to cheer on!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No worries, just come when you can. :) I should be there for every game on NBC this year. (I may be there for the other two too, I just can't watch them.)

I decided to root for the Penguins for the sole reason that they are the only one of the two I have any degree of familiarity with. Pretty much I just know who Crosby is. But that's more than I know about the Sharks (absolutely nothing). But that means that while I do have a way I 'want' it to go, I'll be completely fine if it goes the other, which is nice.

I'm here for the sport more than a team this year; I just want to see some good games, really don't care about the outcome. Hope it goes to seven!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really do like the Penguins, and they have lots of great guys, but the Sharks have never made it to the finals before, and they have a few great guys who have played really well for them over the years who haven't won a Cup yet, and I would be pleased to see them win as well. It's a lot easier when I hate one of the teams. ;) But it should be a great series, and I would also love to see it go to 7 games!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 30 May 2016 07:54 pm --

That was a fun Game 1; so close to starting the series off with overtime. I'm looking forward to watching the next one I get.

-- 09 Jun 2016 12:40 pm --

And then the next two did take overtime. It's been a great series so far; but it could end any game now as the Penguins have reached three wins.
I hope some people come by the chat tonight for the potentially final game of the year.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I wish I had been able to! I only got to watch part of the game and didn't have Internet access, and it will probably be the same for game 6. :( But Don Cherry said before game 5 that if the Sharks won game 5, then the series would go 7 games, and he's right a lot of the time!