Social Media and its influence on our LIVES!!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Which Social Media accounts do you use on a weekly basis?

Facebook
24%
Twitter
15%
Instagram
11%
Snapchat
4%
Tinder
2%
YouTube
28%
Tumblr
4%
Pinterest
11%
Vine
No votes
Other (specify in a post!)
2%

Total votes: 54

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Social Media and its influence on our LIVES!!

Post by jelly »

So I've got an incurable itch (as well as some budget money) to produce a short film about social media and the way it re-patterns our brains in respect to social engagement. Basically, I want to hold up a mirror with a spray-painted thesis: Social Media Actually Makes Us Lonely While Promising To Make Us Connected.

I'm not necessarily talking about the ToO (although that could be interesting), especially since Internet forums like this are either obsolete or exclusively niche-specific, but rather the promise of general social connection through the Big Three: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For fun, I want to throw in some Snapchat and Tinder to explore how young people are socially "connecting" in tandem with the onslaught of hormones.

Anyways, to the point: How do a lot of you young people (and not-so young people) use your social media accounts? Do you have facebook on your phone? Do you Snapchat your friends? Do your parents enforce limitations, and have those limitations lessened or increased in any way over the last few years?

What's the most personally felt, heart-wrenching emotional event that you've ever experienced on the Internet?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Does watching youtube count if I don't ever login?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

This is a good idea, Jelly. I hope you can make it happen in a very powerful way.

..in order of what I use the most:

YouTube
Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

I have Twitter, but rarely go on it. I really only use it to follow people. I also only use Facebook to stay updated on people, I rarely post anything myself. And Instagram and Pinterest I use because I run a fan page. I also like Instagram better than Facebook. =p I HATE FACEBOOK. :x
Jelly wrote:What's the most personally felt, heart-wrenching emotional event that you've ever experienced on the Internet?
I'm not really sure how to answer this.. Do you only mean in a negative way?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

snubs wrote:
Jelly wrote:What's the most personally felt, heart-wrenching emotional event that you've ever experienced on the Internet?
I'm not really sure how to answer this.. Do you only mean in a negative way?
Any way at all!
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

What more people use FB than youtube? What is wrong with you peoples?
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

In the "peoples" defense...Most of the users on here are older *hides*

But on another note: Why is tinder apart of the poll :-s I wouldn't exactly consider it social media, but then again I'm not on it so how would I know...
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Tinder's craaaaazy popular among teens. Definitely counts as social media. Wasn't sure if anyone on here actually used it, though... I know it's sure not an app I would have ever been allowed to use when I was a teen. :P
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Mmm. YouTube and Pinterest. I use Pinterest for craft or science ideas to do with my students. I have both on my phone. I forget Pinterest is there most of the time.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty