The US now has a national mammal

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The US now has a national mammal

Post by bookworm »

It's the American bison, just made official today.

Was anyone aware this was happening? I hadn't heard anything about it, which really surprises me. This is a big deal isn't it? Designation of a new 'national thing'?
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

I didn't know about it, but I knew that there were state mammals, and the American Bison I believe is the Oklahoman state mammal. Why do you say it's such a big deal? There's have a national flags and anthems and flowers, why not mammals?
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

Connie G. wrote:I didn't know about it, but I knew that there were state mammals, and the American Bison I believe is the Oklahoman state mammal. Why do you say it's such a big deal? There's have a national flags and anthems and flowers, why not mammals?
Well, aren't national flags and anthems and flower kind of a big deal? It seems like people should at least know that it was happening. I didn't know about it, but I'm not from the States so I guess that makes sense. :P
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Connie G. wrote:Why do you say it's such a big deal? There's have a national flags and anthems and flowers, why not mammals?
To clarify: I didn't mean the big deal was having one, but getting one. This was the designation of a brand new national thing which the US did not have before. You would think something like that would be common knowledge while it was in the works, not heard about it after it happens.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

BOOOO!!! Down with bison! The otter should be our national mammal! :x :protest:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It doesn't sound like there was any otter lobbying, but the Pennsylvania Representative wanted the groundhog considered because of Punxsutawney Phil.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I would assume Homosapiens would be the national mammal. >_>
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

#MakeAmericaOtterAgain
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Personally I think Homo sapiens should be the national mammal. :noway:
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Kait wrote:Personally I think Homo sapiens should be the national mammal. :noway:
Ray Comfort is very disappointed... =;
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

It's not my fault the man has no understanding of scientific classifications. :x
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)