How Important Is Marriage?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

How Important Is Marriage?

Post by Bren »

In a day and age where more and more children are dealing with the split of parents at a young age, it bothers me to see ones I care about torn down and to have to suffer through the pain of the break-up of parents. Does this generation even consider what all goes into a marriage before jumping in? Even if I was to be stable enough to have kids some day, I might always worry about hurting precious babies one day. What are your thoughts?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

We've had a few generations now where the divorce rate of parents was around 50%, so unfortunately I'd say that for a lot of those kids that grew up in a split home, getting a divorce, while not optimal, is less of a big deal than it would've been a few decades ago. :( I'm not opposed to divorce in specific circumstances, but I think a lot of people just see it as an easy out these days without considering the ramifications.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

The good news is that the divorce rate (divorces per 1000 per year) is declining.* Though that might just be because less people are getting married in the first place.

*source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/marriage_d ... tables.htm