Sardines

How many of you have had sardines? If so, what brand?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Sardines

Post by Mariogeek »

I have had the Trader Joe's sardines. They were in olive oil and had skin. Too fishy of a flavor for me, I want to try the King Oscar brand.
Yo
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't know what brand they were, but I've had them a few times with crackers. I don't like most fish, but they were alright.
I've never had them on pizza. (I don't know if that's actually a common thing people do or just an old cliche.)
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

bookworm wrote:I don't know what brand they were, but I've had them a few times with crackers. I don't like most fish, but they were alright.
I've never had them on pizza. (I don't know if that's actually a common thing people do or just an old cliche.)
Oooooh, with crackers would have been better than just raw.
People actually do eat sardine pizza. I've seen it, it's basically for people who like fish.
Yo
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I do not have any sardines in my house, and I am perfectly happy about that, but I had to click when I saw a thread about sardines because I'm listening to the audiobook of "Canary Island Song" by Robin Jones Gunn (I have previously read the book), and just today I listened to a part where the main character is at a restaurant and gets brought a plate of sardines that you're supposed to use your teeth to scrape the meat and skin off the bone to eat. That sounds super gross to me, but maybe that would appeal to others. ;)
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Catspaw wrote:I do not have any sardines in my house, and I am perfectly happy about that, but I had to click when I saw a thread about sardines because I'm listening to the audiobook of "Canary Island Song" by Robin Jones Gunn (I have previously read the book), and just today I listened to a part where the main character is at a restaurant and gets brought a plate of sardines that you're supposed to use your teeth to scrape the meat and skin off the bone to eat. That sounds super gross to me, but maybe that would appeal to others. ;)

No you actually just eat them, bones and all. They are so soft that you can't even tell, though the skin is super fishy-tasting.
Yo
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Mariogeek wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I do not have any sardines in my house, and I am perfectly happy about that, but I had to click when I saw a thread about sardines because I'm listening to the audiobook of "Canary Island Song" by Robin Jones Gunn (I have previously read the book), and just today I listened to a part where the main character is at a restaurant and gets brought a plate of sardines that you're supposed to use your teeth to scrape the meat and skin off the bone to eat. That sounds super gross to me, but maybe that would appeal to others. ;)

No you actually just eat them, bones and all. They are so soft that you can't even tell, though the skin is super fishy-tasting.
The characters were at a restaurant in the Canary Islands, so what they were served must have been a little different, I guess. The thought of eating the bones doesn't make them any more appealing to me!

I think sardines are one of those things that people either like or refuse to try. ;)